Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

what is the most dangerous colour laser ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think piferal kind of covered it... any wavelength will do damage and burn given enough power.

So I think on a let's say 200mW comparison, from up close 405nm should be more dangerous.

^^(Lotus) quite right, with less apparent power, I believe.

Last edited:
So if you don't take visibility into account (which is the only thing that makes the ir more 'dangerous' than visible colors) I would say 405nm is the most dangerous, since a lower uv wavelenth (i.e. 355nm) isn't available in a pointer.

And don't go playing with your cat with a 405nm laser too much. Everything I've read online says they are super-sensitive to UV.

it's either 405/445nm, or ir as the winner, depending how you look at it.

Uh, yeah. So is this a clear answer to the question? No.

IR isn't detected easily (very high wavelengths at all) by the human eye, and can cause instant eye damage at high powers before you can blink.

Any wavelength of visible light can, too.

405/445nm can damage eyes AND burn all skin types.

Any other wavelength of visible light can, too.

EDIT* IR can burn all skin types too though, can't it?

Yeah. So can any wavelength of visible light.

Whether or not a laser can burn anything is dependent on POWER DENSITY. 1W is 1W regardless of wavelength. Don't believe me?

How about this:
Would you rather have 200mW of 650nm or 200mW of 405nm shined in your eye?
It doesn't matter because your eyes are going to get fcked up either way.
So, then, which is more dangerous?

Last edited:
Sorry, rikgrimsby. It looks like your question will not be answered :p

I guess just tell them "they are all the same" haha

Last edited:
And RA_pierce, why the hell are you just picking apart my statements? As if I'm the only one brainstorming the way that I am. If you're going to criticize my thinking, that's fine, but at least do it equally.

Edit: Just thought of something. Piece, shine a 200mw blu-ray on your hand and see how long it takes to feel and do the same with a 200mw red...tell me which one you DON'T feel...

Should treat this question like "what color laser is most dangerous if they are all the same power?"

Last edited:
And RA_pierce, why the hell are you just picking apart my statements? As if I'm the only one brainstorming the way that I am. If you're going to criticize my thinking, that's fine, but at least do it equally.

I'm not criticizing. Simply responding. And I can reply to whom I please, when I please, without your permission.
What you are not understanding is that how "dangerous" something is cannot be quantified. Is a shovel more dangerous than a spoon?

Edit: Just thought of something. Piece, shine a 200mw blu-ray on your hand and see how long it takes to feel and do the same with a 200mw red...tell me which one you DON'T feel...

I already know the answer. How does this define inherent "danger?"
And does this not also depend on power density?

Should treat this question like "what color laser is most dangerous if they are all the same power?"

Piferal provided an answer. I agreed.
What more are you looking for?
Would you like me to apologize for your disagreement?

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Look, it takes a lot more than this to actually 'offend' me. It just sounded like you were only picking apart what I was saying at first. And he clarified that he meant a handheld laser.

I'm not looking for an apology, you have nothing to apologize for. You were talking about possibilities of huge power densities, when he was simply asking about handhelds (yes he clarified in his second post).

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but it shouldn't be that hard for his question to be answered.

I think Lotus is right here... due to the higher energy found in photons in shorter wavelength light, they get absorbed into even the most diffusive of targets (like white paper or white skin). Can you burn paper with a 250mW red? Just barely. How about with a 250mW 405? Easily.

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but it shouldn't be that hard for his question to be answered.

Uhm, it's actually a pretty poor question, so there is no "correct" answer. I posted because it's something I've thought about, but in reality it comes down to personal perception.

@Wolfman29
I think Lotus is right here... due to the higher energy found in photons in shorter wavelength light, they get absorbed into even the most diffusive of targets (like white paper or white skin). Can you burn paper with a 250mW red? Just barely. How about with a 250mW 405? Easily.

Different materials will absorb different wavelengths at different rates due to any number of factors. In this case I believe the OP was generally interested in knowing hazard to himself or other people.

P.S. - Not taking sides here because there is nothing to fight over. I think this thread has been answered in abundance, and the subject covered. Time to close it down:)

Last edited:

JLSE

Personally id say 405 is the most dangerous, for the following
reasons..

Referring to PHR-803t sled diodes...

-inexpensive and widely used in a first project
-super tight focus at good range. would rather get hit with IR at 100ft than 405nm..
-the false sense of security due to its lack of brightness.. to some..
-widely sold as 5mW on ebay, when in fact the general public is getting 30 hazardous mW in lieu..
-the only wavelength that has repeatedly damaged CCD's in my cams at <100mW
-blue light hazard.

IR is dangerous yes, but lets be honest, the number of IR pens and handhelds
floating on the market cant possibly compare to how many 405's are out there..

Id guess that statistically most eyes getting damaged out there would
be from 405 (eventually 445 as well) and 532nm. They are the most common
available in the lower price ranges.

Though I haven't seen any aircraft incidents involving anything but 532..
It would seem that the majority of 'idiots' prefer green :D

That said, ALL lasers present a hazard to our eyes. Each wavelength having
unique properties making them more or less likely to cause injury depending
on the availability to the general public.

No laser should be taken lightly, as the hazards are very real and no
laser offers a second chance.

+ Rep to rikgrimsby for a question that that got everybody concerned thinking and a thread that subsequently contains a lot of good info for anybody who is thinking about safety. WAY TO GO, KID!

Status
Not open for further replies.