Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What is "Reputation" and how does it work?

Hey guys....

I'm new to the forums, so I'd just like to say "thanks" to everyone here.

Just a short Bio:

I hail from a small town in Texas, but don't judge me a country bumpkin just yet. I've traveled the world, graduated high school summa cum laude, and have a job as a college professor. (not lasers, microbiology) :)

Now that that's out of the way,

I've seen the reputation bars under people's avatars, and I'm a bit confused about how they work.
Also, I've given a few people reputation, but there seems to be no change to the bars.

Can you please explain how the bars work, and how to earn more bars for yourself.

PBK

I have wondered the same thing. I have had a couple of people give me positive rep but no change in the rep power.

Things

The rep power you get depends entirely on how much rep power the person that gave you rep had. For example, new users with low positive rep won't be able to give negative or positive rep, only neutral, and these don't add to your rep power.

If a person gives you + rep, but has a relatively low rep power themselves, then it won't make much of a difference, whereas people with huge amounts of rep power could bring you up over 2 rep power in a single hit, and sink you into the negatives even faster.

Here's my shot.

The green bars (or red if you're notorious) indicate the cumulative reputation you have received. I think it's logarithmic because the more rep you have, the more you need to increase the number of bars.

The rep power number indicates the rep you can give to others. Both Quetzal and PBK have zero rep power, and that's why your reps (+ or -) don't affect anymore anymore. If you go to one's profile, the rep you have given out will be grey, not green or red.

So in order to be able to give out rep, you need to be repped as well.

This too was very confusing, but I eventually sorted it out.

Hope I helped! :beer:

Edit: Things beat me to it. :crackup:

Last edited:

PBK

OK, that make a little more sense now. Thanks for helping us sort that out.

Things

You also gain rep power for post counts. Though I can't remember if it's every 50, 100 or 250 posts.

You also gain rep power for post counts. Though I can't remember if it's every 50, 100 or 250 posts.

Wow, that I didn't know of. :)

Thanks for sharing! :beer:

Is there like a solid rule book for the rep system though?

I would like to have a look over it.

Things

The rep system is customized from forum to forum, so there is no real "rule book", as the admin can customize it to how he wishes.

Last edited:
Hmmm....

Kinda confusing, but thanks for clearing up the broad strokes.

Last edited:
Hmmm....

Not sure if I agree with Ryansoh3, because every time I give rep, it never mentions anything about "spending" my own rep....

Maybe no high-ranking members have given me any rep? That could be why mine says 0.

Yeah, you can't give nor"spend" rep if your rep power is already zero.

I'll give you a rep to try out. You could try giving it back or use it on something you see fit. :)

Cheers! :beer:

Edit: Haha, I guess I'm not powerful enough to influence your rep power. It didn't do anything. XD

Last edited:

Things

Giving other people rep doesn't take away from your own, just the amount of rep you have effects how much of an effect it has on the other person.

Giving other people rep doesn't take away from your own, just the amount of rep you have effects how much of an effect it has on the other person.

Ohhhh... I stand corrected. : )

Than how come I see members with zero rep power but have a lot of green bars?

Cheers!

You need at least 50 posts before your Rep Powers show under
your Avatar...

When giving +Reps your Rep Power is Added to the Member as Rep
Points.

When giving -Reps only 1/2 of your Rep Power is Removed from the
member's Rep Points.

Here is some info on the LPF Rep System...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f59/basics-rep-system-40221.html

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited: