Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What HARDWARE is being used ?

Other than the pictures of workspaces or related subjects (real or photoshopped:tsk:) I am wondering more and more just what types of hardware combinations are being used by those with RGV/RGB units.:undecided:
With all the knowledge here there should be some sort of record of the things that have been found to work (or more importantly NOT work) so noobs like me can start working out our own details.
What have you found out is required for a computer that controls your show ?
Do you know the minimum requirements ? How about the optimal requirements ?
Can you cheat with a simpler system to `run a show' if you do other work through a better system ? What are the steps to do this ?

Now I realize that everyone will have their own details and that few will have the same thing but with enough data a generalized reference could be made.
I'm looking for trends. For example : perhaps one software package requires more processor power or a certain set of conditions to operate optimally.
Maybe one is much easier to use for a noob and the limitations can be minimized by having a premium computer while another requires a lot longer to learn but an old laptop would run it flawlessly on shownight.
If I get enough responses I can try to boil it down to a simple reference posting.

So what do you all think ?:anyone:

Read the stickies in the forum. It's obvious that you have done no research of your own.

In the upper left of the screen is the search function try using that one time...

Other than the pictures of workspaces or related subjects (real or photoshopped:tsk:) I am wondering more and more just what types of hardware combinations are being used by those with RGV/RGB units.:undecided:
With all the knowledge here there should be some sort of record of the things that have been found to work (or more importantly NOT work) so noobs like me can start working out our own details.
What have you found out is required for a computer that controls your show ?
Do you know the minimum requirements ? How about the optimal requirements ?
Can you cheat with a simpler system to `run a show' if you do other work through a better system ? What are the steps to do this ?

Now I realize that everyone will have their own details and that few will have the same thing but with enough data a generalized reference could be made.
I'm looking for trends. For example : perhaps one software package requires more processor power or a certain set of conditions to operate optimally.
Maybe one is much easier to use for a noob and the limitations can be minimized by having a premium computer while another requires a lot longer to learn but an old laptop would run it flawlessly on shownight.
If I get enough responses I can try to boil it down to a simple reference posting.

So what do you all think ?:anyone:

you posted in the correct section... so if you would have taken the time to scroll down you would have found everything you need, even with out the search button.

michael.

Excuse me ?
"It's obvious that you have done no research of your own."
Actually over the last 4 weeks I have spent 40-50 hours reading things here. It seems that the combinations are widely varied.
As far as "In the upper left of the screen is the search function try using that one time..." I tried using the search function. The problem with that is that I'm getting too many results that aren't really pertinent to my search. Try typing in "computer system" (241 results as of now) or "computer hardware" (106 results) or other simple terms and you get no relly useful results. Yeah there are lots of pages about workspaces,soundcard DACs, blah blah blah but after 40 plus hours of distractions and entertainment I still don't have anything solid for results.
Perhaps I've read TOO MUCH about everything and I'm just not able to sort out the details in my head.
I thought a posting might help me and in turn I would make the results available.
And it would only take each person a couple of minutes and a single post to help me out.

But if this is too difficult for you and you are unwilling to help then so be it !
I'm sorry to have troubled you.
Now take the time to chastize me again for my confusion and make sure to not post anything helpful.

Excuse me ?
Actually over the last 4 weeks I have spent 40-50 hours reading things here. It seems that the combinations are widely varied.
As far as "In the upper left of the screen is the search function try using that one time..." I tried using the search function. The problem with that is that I'm getting too many results that aren't really pertinent to my search. Try typing in "computer system" (241 results as of now) or "computer hardware" (106 results) or other simple terms and you get no relly useful results. Yeah there are lots of pages about workspaces,soundcard DACs, blah blah blah but after 40 plus hours of distractions and entertainment I still don't have anything solid for results.
Perhaps I've read TOO MUCH about everything and I'm just not able to sort out the details in my head.
I thought a posting might help me and in turn I would make the results available.
And it would only take each person a couple of minutes and a single post to help me out.

But if this is too difficult for you and you are unwilling to help then so be it !
Now take the time to chastize me again for my confusion and make sure to not post anything helpful.

A little snooty for a new member...IMO
No one owes you anything......................

It seems that you want us to spend our time doing
research for your project....:thinking:
I'd love to help but I have my hands full with researching
2 projects of my own...

You really don't want to know the hours I've spent
researching info on the Forum (and it is there) since
I registered here...

I don't think I've ever not found what I was looking
for...

For info on Laser Projectors... you might try this Forum...
All the Laser Projector experts are there...:cool:
http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/forum.ph

Jerry

Last edited:
Yes quite snooty for a new member, no one here said they were unwilling to help you what the heck we have have all given you suggestions, if we didn't want to help we wouldn't have said anything !
Maby we don't have the exact answer you are looking for so we sent you in the right direction.
when using the search function syntax is everything !
if you think this is all to hard maby you should take up racket ball or something :beer:

Excuse me ?

Last edited:
Since we don't know what you know, try searching for the following

Galvos
DAC
dichroics
Mounts

Try Wiki on Laser Projectors

Also the other members here are trying to help, Photonlexicon is much better directed to what you are looking for.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of that 4 weeks/40-50 hour claim. In five minutes, you should have been able to figure out what kind of computer systems are used by looking at the laser software requirements and the hardware connectors. In particular, the top sticky in this forum goes over both DIY soundcard hardware and software you can use. That post was pretty much everything that I needed to get a laser projection system running.

Why don't we each spend 3-4 minutes explaining things to newcomers? Because we've already done that in previous posts, and it is better for the newcomer to spend 3-4 minutes searching for that information him/herself. It also weeds out the trolls and fair-weather DIYers.

For some reason this is where i decide to speak up and rise my beaten body from the ashes.

IF i am reading right you ware asking what type of PC is needed to run the laser show software.
Answer.
able to run windows xp have above 256mb ram more the 1ghz processor and 20gb hdd and usb 2.0 (these are also the basic needs to run windows xp so if it runs xp it can play laser shows.)
i use an old think pad laptop to play my shows, but i use my workstation to design them.
above that to run the software that is it.
Now to MAKE laser shows can very greatly to the above mentioned system to some godly computer using 3d models and rendering them and converting into laser shows.

If you are just using things like ink scape to make your shows and convert them go look up and find its min.
But if you want to use 3d software to do it you will need at least dual core cpu 1gig ram and a dedicated gpu.

So on to taking care of other matters.
Still nice to see things are the same as they were.
Nice and friendly.
Good luck with laser shows.
i hope to have mine back here very soon.

Many thanks to you kiyoukan for getting the gist of the question and starting the ball rolling.:thanks:
You see, I'm currently using just a dual core 2.41 Ghz proc with 2GB Ram & a Nvidia Geforce GTS 250 graphics card. It handles Windows XP fine and I haven't had much of a chance to check out it's multimedia handling but the other night a full HD rip of a movie played seamlessly so I think I'm doing alright.
Ideally a used laptop might be aquired from a family member but I'm trying to clearly define the capacities needed. For simple playback it might work out !
The other hardware options seem to be dependant on how much of a project I am able to take on or the type of "starter" projector I might settle on. This will dictate the software options. As to which pairs with what I'm still not too sure...reading bits and pieces at work without writing anything down then logging on from home to reply to things I saw up to 12 hours earlier...gets a bit mixed up.
And thanks too to carmangary. :gj:Your simplification is greatly appreciated. This is a great starting point for me to qualify the "offers" from my brother who is trying to make a few bucks selling me one of his old laptops.(He has at least 3 at this time. He's always upgrading to new stuff before he knows what to do with the "old" stuff.) A couple of questions about it can save me a lot of trouble.
Many thanks to you both.