Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What goes into making a heatsink

yeah it's real.
Those gore sites are oddly addicting and they also make you lose hope in humanity, and feel lucky to live in an civilized country.....

Those are some Crazy Pictures.

Lathes are No Joke. No Matter what size they are. Might not do that amount of damage but you can still loose an Arm with a Mini Lathe Just as Easy. I dont take Tooling as a Joke.

Even when i polish on the wheel. You got to be careful not to get caught up in it.

Ive seen some Crazy things when i was in the Military overseas to say the least but those Lathe Pictures are Nuts.

Last edited:

i wouldn't say an arm........maybe a finger. I've had a couple scary moments, or moments of clarity when i realized i had put myself in danger and circumstances were just waiting to line up and rape me.
Like putting my entire finger insde a spinning piece to sand it, when it' diameger was barely bigger than my finger.
Just a little friction and it could of caught my finger and twisted it right off

I should start referencing this thread in the PM's I get of people complaining my sipiks are overpriced. Add cutting fins, cutting threads, and the required machining to the hosts and it tacks on another two hours of machine time. And that's just for the heatsinks. The time spent on the focus rings is in addition to that and they take even longer.

It just never ceases to amaze me the sheer number people who think even simple heatsinks can be cranked out in 5 minutes.

I will not post them but if you want to see some bad pictures go to google images and type lathe accident and look at the first 10 or so pictures.

I will not post them but if you want to see some bad pictures go to google images and type lathe accident and look at the first 10 or so pictures.

about 10 rows down you start seeing just random pictures of some pretty girl. Was a Yale student who got her hair caught in a lathe. Friends found her dead 2:30am that night
Luckily, mine is only like 1/3HP and I can stall the motor just by talking dirty to it.

Last edited:
on the one hand, the minimalist in me sees a lot of steps I would probably skip, but on the other, the machinist in me remembers the endless hours dedicated to a similar looking piece used for an aluminum bottle.

I think my favorite part of machining - especially with aluminum is the hologram looking surface you can get when you set up your mill to make a slow pass.

:gj:

on the one hand, the minimalist in me sees a lot of steps I would probably skip,

How many steps you need is highly dependent on your lathe horsepower. With the mini lathes, you can't take off lots of metal in single passes like you can with larger, stronger lathes. So it takes more working steps to finish parts.

How many steps you need is highly dependent on your lathe horsepower. With the mini lathes, you can't take off lots of metal in single passes like you can with larger, stronger lathes. So it takes more working steps to finish parts.

that's what was going through my head. At machine trades school, we had enormous lathes and mills and we normally worked with steel, so working with aluminum was something of a treat - your bits stay sharper for longer and you can make deeper passes. Despite that, I'd like to get a small lathe, at least small enough to fit through the door without the use of a forklift. I've been looking at Grizzly Combos and this thread has got me buzzing again for machine trade work after a long break (16 years).

Last edited:
The chinese harbor freight mini-lathes are $400ish when caught on sale.

I have a 60's era atlas 618 lathe though.

IMG_0228.jpg

Last edited:
I live in Sydney, Australia, but I'm sure there are places like this all over the world. The place I go to is called Hackers Space and its basically an old house that has been converted to a workshop. All the tools are provided just walk in and start working.

I live in Sydney, Australia, but I'm sure there are places like this all over the world. The place I go to is called Hackers Space and its basically an old house that has been converted to a workshop. All the tools are provided just walk in and start working.

Nothing like that here.... I live in a Capitalist country. Everything revolves around making money and nothing is given for free.

Yeah. Canada here, and I'm not sure if I have that either. But, I don't know what I'd need to search for via google.
Nothing like that here.... I live in a Capitalist country. Everything revolves around making money and nothing is given for free.

The closest ones to me, which isn't really close. Nearest one is an hour away, aren't free heh. Looks like there's a $50/mo membership fee.

The closest ones to me, which isn't really close. Nearest one is an hour away, aren't free heh. Looks like there's a $50/mo membership fee.

Same with me..closest ones are 1 1/2 hours away.

I prefer to have my own shop anyway. Having idiots who don't know what they are doing messing with precision machines is bad for tolerances... :(

I've had someone run the power feed carriage of my lathe into the chuck..then say "I don't know what happened" when the tooling is busted off and the shear pin is sheared in the feed screw. :mad: