Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do you typically burn with your laser

Ryo

Just wondering what have you burned with your 200+ mW portable lasers that made it all worth it?
Wondering what can I burn besides black trash bags, matches, and dark gray foam..

I was thinking of bumping up my power of my laser to get better burning power.. cool to burn, but takes a while.

Gunpowder, leaves, ants in the kitchen (they're not in season right now, though), toast, wood, fireworks, paper, plastic, my skin, cardboard...
Anything and everything.

You can put a drop of water on a dark wood table and burn that. When it burns the wood, it evaporates the water and makes sizzling and popping noises. It's cool.

Also, you can scrape off the heads from a bunch of matches and fill up a little jar and light it up.

Ryo

Water.. hmm.. that sounds cool. Gotta try that when I go home..
Gun powder, hmm.. have a lot of wasted Varget powder I collected.. sweet, now it has a purpose.

if its a BR its fun to get the back of peoples necks when they are on the computer, they keep swatting like a fly and dont know what it is. ;D

Razako

nvmextc said:
if its a BR its fun to get the back of peoples necks when they are on the computer, they keep swatting like a fly and dont know what it is. ;D
Then they turn around and get it right in the eye ;D

Switch

I did it once, they had black balloons and I was walking down that street every day to visit my gf, I couldn't help it ;D Btw, I can't burn chocolate. :-/

Here's what I have burned successfully with my 118mW blu-ray:

-Matches of all colors
-Balloon (just one, matches are way cooler)
-Road signs
-White wall
-Prune in a package (fun, because it sizzles and pops and smokes still inside the plastic!)
-Clear plastic
-Leaves
-Wood
-Bark
-Chocolate
-Dirt
-Smoke bombs
-Match shafts (cardboard and wood)
-Matchbooks
-My sweatshirt (I wondered where the laser went, then I saw a wisp of smoke coming from ME!)
-Skin
-Steak
-Black plastic
-Cardboard
-Souls
-Etc.

Here's what I can't burn:

-CD (I could only burn about halfway through it)
-Glass
-Metal
-Rocks
-Fluorescing things (I can't focus the dot right)
-Candle wicks
-That's about it. I can burn just about anything with my laser.

-Mark

artix

Cyparagon said:
I just burn a hole in my pocket  :(
lol! But true!

I'll burn whatever I fell like... One day balloons, another day matches and then plastic! It even burned a hole through a CD and it's case.

Things

Switch said:
Balloons in the window of a store :D

LOL!!!! never thought of that one!!! ;D

Now imagine doing that with an IR laser, no one would ever know ::)

RA_pierce said:
Gunpowder, leaves, ants in the kitchen (they're not in season right now, though), toast, wood, fireworks, paper, plastic, my skin, cardboard...
Anything and everything.

You can put a drop of water on a dark wood table and burn that. When it burns the wood, it evaporates the water and makes sizzling and popping noises. It's cool.

Also, you can scrape off the heads from a bunch of matches and fill up a little jar and light it up.

if the lids on the jar it will explode like a granade be carefull on enclosing
sulfer gun powder ect dangerous indeed :eek:

john_lawson said:
[quote author=RA_pierce link=1229024166/0#1 date=1229025014]Gunpowder, leaves, ants in the kitchen (they're not in season right now, though), toast, wood, fireworks, paper, plastic, my skin, cardboard...
Anything and everything.

if the lids on the jar it will explode like a granade be carefull on enclosing
sulfer gun powder ect dangerous indeed :eek:[/quote]

HA! Yeah don't do it with the lid on... I meant in an open jar. :p
The last thing we need is someone going to the hospital with burns and thousands of glass shards in their face.
I prefer using a metal can or something for combustible materials. :D

Well, last night I burned my window blind (white - put a couple holes in it), my wall paper (which I plan on stripping one of these days so I can paint the walls - but maybe I can just burn it off with my CO2 laser!), my night table (which is a piece of junk anyway) and a nail polish bottle cap with my 140mw Blu-ray...

I don't do much burning these days, but whenever I get a new laser with that capability, I've got to try it out. I'm going to see if I can light my roommate's cig with my Blu-ray one of these days.

I was able to melt through a plate of Woods Metal with my 300mW open can. Yes metal! It's melting point is 158 degrees F.

-Lucius Fox

(best movie ever!)