Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What do you guys use your lasers for?

So, I jumped on the WL S3 band wagon as soon as I laid eyes on it. This will be my first high powered laser if/when WL ever gets around to shipping. I've always wanted a burning laser, so it wasn't a hard choice. I knew I wanted to own it, but am not really sure what I will use it for. Of course popping balloons and cutting trash bags is fun, but I could see that getting boring fast. What do you guys use your lasers for? Is it just for fun or what?

Thanks!

You know the usual, hold the world ransom for...

One... Hundred... BILLION DOLLARS!

Our death rays scare those who are not worthy.

If the main purpose of your hobby is utility, it isn't much of a hobby to begin with!

What I meant was, do you guys just use them to look at the pretty beam and burn random objects or is anything more interesting to do with them. I'm not bashing or knocking powerful lasers, just trying to figure out what to do with mine if/when i receive it.

Trying to figure out if these are tools or toys.

A large majority seem to burn a few things once they get their first high power laser. and burn other things when they get a stronger laser. However the burning part gets old after a bit. Shining into the sky looking at the beams is fun. showing off to other people is always fun, but expensive buying extra goggles (need 1 for yourself to even burn anything safely, and 1 pair for everyone you wish to show it off to). I've used mine for fusing wax pieces together for lost wax casting, and some people have put together scanners. Though the work related uses are fewer in number. It's fun doing effects like the "time tunnel" etc. I've got a bunch of fs mirrors I took out of a checkout scanner. I've found its fun to build up a web around a room where the beam is bouncing all over the place. Be creative, the uses of a high power laser are limited to your own imagination. The more creative you get the more enjoyment you will squeeze out of the laser :D

I use mine to show what can be done with coherent light to students. DEMOs.

I used a 300mW red laser to pop black balloons, murder a matchstick, remove hair on my arm and show off how a DVD burner worked.

Unfortunately the DVD burner idea worked a little too well and I burnt right through the disk. ^^

Most spectacular is by far 405nm PHR demo that I did back in April-May for science day at my school. I drew on a Zinc Sulphide screen and the screen kept the picture that I drew for about 5minutes before dimming into a dull green.

Thanks for the help so far. I kinda figured this was gonna be a "when the mood strikes me" kind of toy.

As far as shining the beam into the sky to look at stars, how do I find out where I can do this? I am assuming the in city's and near airports is a no-no, but I don't want to go out in the country to play with it only to get arrested. Am I allowed to just point at stars and I'm fine as long as I don't target planes or what?

Are there any special tools I should get (other than goggles)? Do I need one of those black mats that people dead-end their beams into, or can I make one?

Dregan

I dead end most of my more powerful (~200+ is where I start this) into a 6" piece of 3" PVC with an endcap glued on. This shrouds any potential refractory beams If I see that much of a dot, I get uncomfortable. I only have a 200 mW 635 and 300 mW 532, the guys with more toys probably have more elaborate terminators.

I'm going to need to come up with something a little deeper for the 455 build, though.

dnar

I use my lasers to open portals to parallel universes and to travel in time.

This message was edited on May 23 2018.

I use my lasers to make, view and measure holograms and holographic optical elements. I've used a red diode laser to align one of my telescopes, a 17.5" diameter reflector. I use small he-ne lasers to align and monitor complex optical systems.

A laser with adequate coherence length allows one to make interferometers and interference fringes. I've really enjoyed exploring fringe movement and manipulation, as required of a working holographer. Making two expanded spots of bright light combine to form a totally black spot is absolutely amazing!

Consider using your handheld laser for photographic lighting effects. Look up Schlieren imaging, another neat thing to do with laser light. You'll find, however, that if you want to really do anything with laser light, you'll first want the laser mounted firmly to a bench and kept on and stable.

dnar

I use my lasers to make, view and measure holograms and holographic optical elements. I've used a red diode laser to align one of my telescopes, a 17.5" diameter reflector. I use small he-ne lasers to align and monitor complex optical systems.

A laser with adequate coherence length allows one to make interferometers and interference fringes. I've really enjoyed exploring fringe movement and manipulation, as required of a working holographer. Making two expanded spots of bright light combine to form a totally black spot is absolutely amazing!

Consider using your handheld laser for photographic lighting effects. Look up Schlieren imaging, another neat thing to do with laser light. You'll find, however, that if you want to really do anything with laser light, you'll first want the laser mounted firmly to a bench and kept on and stable.
How do you use a laser to collimate your scope? I have always used a pin-hole adapter in the eye piece, but am interested in possibly using one of my lasers for said task.

That's right, just to look at the beautiful beams. Some burn and pop balloons. We are descendants of the Buck Rogers ray-gun era. Some of us enjoy creating beauty through our individual DIY expertise. And others are amateur scientists doing experimental projects.

I used my DL 95mW viper to measure the drop on our block recently. Taped it to a spirit level, set it level and then measured the height of the dot off the ground at the bottom of the slope. :tinfoil: