Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Do I Call This Plug/Cable?

daguin

What Do I Call This Plug/Cable?
plug1.jpg
plug2.jpg

plug3.jpg
plug4.jpg

Peace,
dave

daguin

Thanks, CL. I found the matching pinout in a mini din

Peace,
dave

8 pin Mini Din.

do a continuity check on the pinout.

when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME. -felix unger

Grix

It could also be a PS/2 connector, they look identical to mini-din, but is not the same. (At least I think so :confused: )

HIMNL9

No, PS2 cables are identical at the external shell, but they have only 6 pins, with a plastic "key" protrusion (some power supply cables looks like PS2 too, but with only 4 pins and a bigger "key" part)

The pins of that one looks as a video cable, mostly similar to the ones that was on old laptops for the composite/s-video outputs (for hook them on a TV) ..... unfortunately, also in this field, "standard" rules striked freely (same for "RS232" LOL), so there are some different "standards" also for these video cables, built from different manufacturers independently one from the other (i don't remember ALL them, but i've meet in the past s-video, s-video plus composite, s-video plus composite plus synch, and composite plus RGB, all with that type of connector (and different pins numbers) ..... and, as far as i remember, there was also a company that made an RS232 cable exactly with that connector, but now i really don't remember who was, now.

EDIT: i'm not 100% sure, but i already have seen one of these cables (or at least it was looking identical) years ago, used on an Astral (Scientech) big calorimeter head ..... i can be wrong, are passed years (and with the age the memory fades away ..... ahem), but as far as i remember it, it was looking the same type of connector and pins disposition.

Last edited:

daguin

No, PS2 cables are identical at the external shell, but they have only 6 pins, with a plastic "key" protrusion (some power supply cables looks like PS2 too, but with only 4 pins and a bigger "key" part)

The pins of that one looks as a video cable, mostly similar to the ones that was on old laptops for the composite/s-video outputs (for hook them on a TV) ..... unfortunately, also in this field, "standard" rules striked freely (same for "RS232" LOL), so there are some different "standards" also for these video cables, built from different manufacturers independently one from the other (i don't remember ALL them, but i've meet in the past s-video, s-video plus composite, s-video plus composite plus synch, and composite plus RGB, all with that type of connector (and different pins numbers) ..... and, as far as i remember, there was also a company that made an RS232 cable exactly with that connector, but now i really don't remember who was, now.

EDIT: i'm not 100% sure, but i already have seen one of these cables (or at least it was looking identical) years ago, used on an Astral (Scientech) big calorimeter head ..... i can be wrong, are passed years (and with the age the memory fades away ..... ahem), but as far as i remember it, it was looking the same type of connector and pins disposition.

Yeah. It is for an Astral calorimeter. I got a Scientech S310 with this calorimeter, but the cable to the calorimeter was damaged. I repaired the cable, but thought I would pick up a new one anyway for aesthetics sake.

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

UHm, an S310 is a very good unit, as far as i remember, especially if you got it with a matched (or tuned) calorimeter ..... we had one in the old company, and always wanted to find a working unit, but never had enough money for buy a set (and now, also less money, with all the bills to pay :p) ..... i actually have a 362 with a "matched" 360001 head, and an MA10 without head, from Scientech (never found a matching head for the MA10, i was thinking to match it with the 360001, but still had no time for do that).

BTW, what's the head you got, the 25mm or the 50mm one ?

(and, it's just an impression, or you're starting a collection ? ..... :p :D)