Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What antivirus do you use?

What A/V software do you use?

• Avira

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Avast

Votes: 16 12.2%
  • AVG

Votes: 20 15.3%
  • ESET NOD32

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • F-Prot/F-Secure

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kaspersky

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Norton

Votes: 13 9.9%
  • Trend Micro

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • No antivirus

Votes: 21 16.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 26 19.8%

• Total voters
VIPRE. Works amazing!!. Much better than Norton. It is cheaper than norton, mcafee, and kaspersky, as well as many others. It barely uses your cpu at all, even during scans. I have the premium version + firewall. On some websites, it even blocks ads on the sidebars if it doesnt think they are trustworthy. It is relatively new compared to many other anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-spam/firewall software so many people don't know about it yet. It updates its definitions a few times a day so it is always blocking the newest threats. It has email protection (only for email programs on your computer). Sorry if I might sound like an ad, but if you want to know more about it, here's the link:
Antivirus Program

mc afee never had a issue with and its fast doesnt slow down my computer

Nothing, i have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS :p
Hmm Ubuntu nice it has its advantages ,like Linux on which is just a version of, very powerful but certainly takes a lot more time to master even with the windows like interface now ,certainly a thinking mans OS .+1 rep

I wasn't going to post on this since it was a resurrected thread from 4 years ago, but lots have been, so I'll just throw in my data point:

Kasperski all the way. I have been very please for several years now.

c

ped

None.

I have common sense and know what to do on a computer, and what not to do.

Until recently mcafee, now Avira lot faster updates ,doesnt slow the PC down on boot ups and updates. Very happy with it and as work pays for it even better.

Last edited:

Grix

None.

I have common sense and know what to do on a computer, and what not to do.

I'm sorry, but that is a terrible idea. There is NO WAY to protect yourself without an antivirus. The majority of virus infections happen through perfectly legit sites and can happen without you having to download anything. "Common sense" is about as helpful as condoms with holes poked in them.

Malware Infections Are Usually From "Legitimate" Websites | The Escapist

And if you got a virus (which you already may have), you'd have no way of knowing because many viruses operate silently.

I'm sorry, but that is a terrible idea. There is NO WAY to protect yourself without an antivirus. The majority of virus infections happen through perfectly legit sites and can happen without you having to download anything. "Common sense" is about as helpful as condoms with holes poked in them.

Malware Infections Are Usually From "Legitimate" Websites | The Escapist

And if you got a virus (which you already may have), you'd have no way of knowing because many viruses operate silently.

I do agree with this as well. Although for some reason my laptop runs fine while meanwhile the computer everyone else uses runs terrible. I scan with malwarebytes about twice a week and sometimes I do get minor infections that are easily removed. I would not have known I had any infections without scanning with malwarebytes though.

All the common sense in the world won't save you from exploits beyond your control. It's why we also need to install software updates to fix problems that can be exploited without our knowledge. The AV software is like the supplemental insurance on your software updates.