Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird 445 output!

Almost-offtopic,

How much thermal stress can that little glass window take?

If the diodes are driven very high (they are), and there's some crap on the window (there is), what's the chance of the diode melting it's own glass window with heat transfered from crap, to glass?

Yeah I can post a picture later on when I get out of work.

And this was a quite efficient diode even with the problem. There wasn't anything on the glass but I'm wondering if it melted the glass myself.

Blord

I don't think glass will melt with our handheld lasers. It needs a lot more energy to do so.
Do you ever been to a glass factory ? The heat needed for melting glass is so intense.

Its also amazing how thin of a layer of crap on a diode window it takes to completely farx your output. It may be that it was just too baked on to come off easy with rubbing alcohol. Either that or the glass was very finely scratched in more than one spot like something abrasive brushed it which could explain how alcohol didn't clean it.

Either way, its good to hear that the diode was saved because that is no small loss.

I really have no idea what happened with this diodes window, im always careful and compressed air it my friend but with the window gone the problem went with it. Might not be the prettiest thing but it works now. I want to lpm it and see what kinda power it makes with the window gone. To bad I didn't do a before and after.

I would suspect it would be very slightly higher without the window but with it come it may degrade a little bit faster since its exposed.

Nice link, lots of info. I figured you would have so insight on this topic.

Update: photo's.

Pictures of output after fix
IMG_0056.jpg

Picture of diode without window. I was very hesitant to bend the metal back as I'm worried about getting stuff inside of the diode as well as slipping and hitting the inside of the diode.
IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:
Yup, that output looks perfect to me. Gratz on the successful window removal. It looks like your module took a little damage in the process but it wouldn't matter as long as the threading still works smoothly.

BTW, that host is a Survival Laser S4?

@Blord
That's good to know I wasn't sure if the die was sealed or not. Now I am happier knowing my post-window-removal M140 is safer than I thought.

Yup, that output looks perfect to me. Gratz on the successful window removal. It looks like your module took a little damage in the process but it wouldn't matter as long as the threading still works smoothly.

BTW, that host is a Survival Laser S4?

@Blord
That's good to know I wasn't sure if the die was sealed or not. Now I am happier knowing my post-window-removal M140 is safer than I thought.

yeah the diode had a little damage but still threads just fine. when i went to lift the one side up i broke the glass but wasn't sure how small the pieces where so i continued to pry the sides up so i could make sure i could get all the pieces out.

yeah it's an S4. perfect little host that people tend to love. not to big not to small but just right with a bit of style over the C6. this one is all black, even thinking of changing out the tailcap to match.

Thanks, i was :cryyy: about the diode because I thought the was no hope, and really didn't want to have to get another:banghead:. thanks to Blord he saved me not only time but money.

Garoq

Very good job...nice save! A customer once contacted me about the same strange output, and I had no idea what was causing the issue. I think he even posted it on the forum.

You are welcome. Sometimes unconventional methods will work but I am very hesitating to put it on public. It is not really by the book. :)

Hi Blord, I'm having a similar problem with an old 9mm diode atm too.
The difference is, as I rotate the laser the beam image changes.
Like there is something loose inside the can and as it moves it blocks the light path in different areas.
Also when I shake it there is definately a sound that is heard like a rattle.

Do you think it's the can window being loose or am I just assuming?

Blord

Hi Blord, I'm having a similar problem with an old 9mm diode atm too.
The difference is, as I rotate the laser the beam image changes.
Like there is something loose inside the can and as it moves it blocks the light path in different areas.
Also when I shake it there is definately a sound that is heard like a rattle.

Do you think it's the can window being loose or am I just assuming?

I think your lens has a problem. Something is loose inside the lensbarrel.