Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We need some steampunk hosts...

I love steampunk and I love lasers...I just wish I could enjoy them at the same time. I recently ran across this mock-up of a steampunk lightsaber hilt:

steampunk_lightsaber.jpg

It really made me realize how much I'd like to see some steampunk hosts. Then just get some of these...

63.jpg

...and turn them into safety glasses.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Thoughts?

Last edited:

WTF is steampunk and how does it dissapate heat?

looks are one thing but form and functionality are another, please elaborate.

This is steampunk: Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I edited the duty cycle bit out of my post when I realized that it would only really apply to a big host like the one in the picture. My general thought was that if one were to go out of his/her way to design a host as elaborate as that, it would be easy to forgive it being a little bigger to allow the use of whatever cooling technique is necessary to get as close to a continuous duty cycle as possible.

I can only recall seeing one steampunk host here (pistol/gun type).
I would love to see more.
Oddly I don't make any steampunk hosts myself. :thinking: I guess anything I want to make would take more time then I have to spend on it.

It uses dry steam to draw off the heat from the laser, it passes it realy close to the megatron so fast that it suckes the heat away :D

I love Steampunk and have a friend that's into it and I've helped him out a bit with his weapons ;)

If any one here comes up with a good idea and needs some help implementing the design I
would be glad to help do some metel work :D

Last edited:

Asherz

They are some Veery cool pictures Jarrod, arn't Ruby's pulsed? But only once per discharge, how did you manage to catch the shot at just the right time? +rep

As for OP, I do kind of like steampunk, more of a minimalist/modernist personally, but I can see the attraction in it. I had the idea of using maybe a He-ne or something as they always remind me of steampunk style, maybe decorate the bare tube a bit with some cool things like in the lightsaber hilt, and maybe block the He-ne beam from exiting, keeping the plasma and allowing the laser to site ontop, althought it wouldn't be portable due to the He-ne.

They are some Veery cool pictures Jarrod, arn't Ruby's pulsed? But only once per discharge, how did you manage to catch the shot at just the right time? +rep

As for OP, I do kind of like steampunk, more of a minimalist/modernist personally, but I can see the attraction in it. I had the idea of using maybe a He-ne or something as they always remind me of steampunk style, maybe decorate the bare tube a bit with some cool things like in the lightsaber hilt, and maybe block the He-ne beam from exiting, keeping the plasma and allowing the laser to site ontop, althought it wouldn't be portable due to the He-ne.

If you just want the look of a glowing rod/tube, I'd just go with a red CCFL made for people who do PC case mods/decorations etc. 12" Red Cold Cathode CCFL PC Light Kit, Single Tube-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

It would run off of a 12v PC power supply lead at around 3W, so not out of the realm of what a battery could provide.

Or you could go with a belt-pack battery and a cord. (fabric covered, or metal coil type) That would look pretty Victorian/Steampunk-ish.

It was only 2mW, but I got a HeNe gas-tube laser from American Science And Surplus back in the early 90's, and mounted it on a Crossman air-pistol with the carbine stock added and ran it all from a 12v seald lead-acid battery that fit nicely in the hole in the skeletonized stock.

Lent the whole rig out to family who had a rabbit problem, and never got it back. :(

Last edited:

Morgan

Does this count? Not a host but...

It's my LPM. Not quite finished yet. I have to install the buttons and bezels, and the data cable socket in the left side but it seems appropriate to post it here in it's pre-completed state. I still have to source some momentary buttons. I know they are common but I wonder if Jerry will sell me some that that are actually used on the Laserbee boards themselves? Jerry? ;) . All the brass parts were hand made, some on my lathe some just with a file.

Is this Steampunk?

Some pics:

333eiid.jpg

14jz22r.jpg

2ezr68l.jpg

The likely placement of the buttons

fe174m.jpg

If anyone can point out the safety flaw in this build I will issue a, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", badge!

Thanks,

M
:)

Powering a hene laser off a whimshurst might be possible or at least trying it.(given some fancy leydon jars with a circuit attached. Although it would be a very short pulse laser. But might be pretty cool

These tubes are made for static discharges, I'm not very knowledgeable on this but they don't appear to be much different than a HeNe as far as I can tell.

Spectrum Light Tubes

Unusual Neon Discharge Tube (sim Geissler-Crookes) - eBay (item 270608267981 end time Jul-22-10 19:44:08 PDT)

Geissler Crookes tubes are usually very expensive but definitely have that steampunk laser look.

Does this count? Not a host but...

It's my LPM. Not quite finished yet. I have to install the buttons and bezels, and the data cable socket in the left side but it seems appropriate to post it here in it's pre-completed state. I still have to source some momentary buttons. I know they are common but I wonder if Jerry will sell me some that that are actually used on the Laserbee boards themselves? Jerry? ;) . All the brass parts were hand made, some on my lathe some just with a file.

Is this Steampunk?

Some pics:

333eiid.jpg

14jz22r.jpg

2ezr68l.jpg

The likely placement of the buttons

fe174m.jpg

If anyone can point out the safety flaw in this build I will issue a, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", badge!

Thanks,

M

Looking good. Is the safety flaw the reflective metal ring around the sensor entrance? :whistle:

Yes. This laser is pulsed. The pulses must be isolated for the sake of cooling. It compares to modern pulsed YAG lasers in the same way a muzzle-loaded musket would compare to a modern machine gun.

Gas lasers came late in history. If there had been a desire or need for them, they probably could have been invented in the 1930's. Physically, their construction is very simple, and unlike modern solid state lasers, gas laser tubes are as attractive and interesting as the beams that they produce.

Morgan

Looking good. Is the safety flaw the reflective metal ring around the sensor entrance? :whistle:

A, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", badge is on it's way to you right now Prototype! Yes, that's the flaw. :yabbem:

I didn't really consider it before I started, noted for the future though, but as goggles should be worn when measuring anyway, it is not a fatal flaw :rolleyes: . The look works for me though.

M

You could sand or bead-blast the brass ring to make it less specular.

Or force the brass to age and patina to a darker shade with some dilute muriatic acid and copper sulfate. (Available at the hardware store as drain/sewer root killer)

Last edited: