Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We need some steampunk hosts...

Morgan

^ Now there's an idea. Nice one. I might try that on a scrap piece to test for future reference. I do kind of like the finish as is. It's a minor inconvenience at the moment but that technique is something to bare in mind. Thanks.

M
:)

I love steampunk and I love lasers...I just wish I could enjoy them at the same time. I recently ran across this mock-up of a steampunk lightsaber hilt:

steampunk_lightsaber.jpg

It really made me realize how much I'd like to see some steampunk hosts. Then just get some of these...

63.jpg

...and turn them into safety glasses.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Thoughts?

I totally agree with your opinion of the appeal that would exists in the marriage of lasers and steampunk. You work is truly artistic!

Although I do not consider the stuff I cobble together to be art, I have used electrostatic 'influence' machines extensively as both power supplies and trigger sources for my laser projects. I've used motor-driven electrostatic devices for nitrogen and nitrogen-pumped-dye lasers. I have a website that features this, here:

Jarrod Kinsey’s Special Website

If you like steampunk (although lasers are not directly represented here), then perhaps you might like some of the small electrostatic generators I've made here:

A.J.'s Machine - a set on Flickr

My Asthetic and Gift/Build-to-Sell Type Electrostatic Generators - a set on Flickr

Sorry for straying from the subject.

I totally agree with your opinion of the appeal that would exists in the marriage of lasers and steampunk. You work is truly artistic!

Not my work if that's what you were thinking, but just something close to what I would design if I could. I'd probably put some more copper or brass piping around it and maybe event a temperature gauge (could even make it functional if you could get a probe close enough to the heatsink). And yes, I do like the electrostatic generator. Kind of seems like the type of thing Dr. Frankenstein would have in his lab :beer:

Another thought: If you made a waterproof lab-size laser, you could add some extra piping to release some steam to make the beam glow nice and pretty :yh:

dnar

Excellent thread!

A steampunk Luminous Aether Steam Enhanced Radiotron (L.A.S.E.R) would be useful for defending ones self from air kraken attacks. Larger L.A.S.E.R could be fitted to your air ship.

I am sure anyone building a L.A.S.E.R would appear on Brass Goggles:The lighter side of Steampunk

Ashton

YES! YES! YES! I *need* a bow-mounted L.A.S.E.R. to defend my airship with! (granted I dont *have* an airship, but that's a minor technicality to be dealt with at a later time)

too bad, I have aluminum but no brass... (and how simple it would be to buy a brass Kaleidoscope and retrofit a laser into it... of course it would be ugly as sin once you added all the required locks and buttons and keys and crap to it...)

Toke

Steampunk lasers seems like such a self evident idea. :)

The closest I could get would be to put some 16mm hexagonal brass in the lathe and drill it out to whatever diameter modules come in.

(So far I just got some old keychain in a drawer somewhere, and are waiting for an Arctic, and some greens and violet from eazzydeals.) :(

YES! YES! YES! I *need* a bow-mounted L.A.S.E.R. to defend my airship with! (granted I dont *have* an airship, but that's a minor technicality to be dealt with at a later time)

too bad, I have aluminum but no brass... (and how simple it would be to buy a brass Kaleidoscope and retrofit a laser into it... of course it would be ugly as sin once you added all the required locks and buttons and keys and crap to it...)
you can always make a Steampunk host of your own out of something on hand...
and Ray Guns are always popular
crossbow-maverick.jpg

13yphyg.jpg

032509_nerf_4.jpg

steampunk-nerf-guns.jpg

Nerf_Maverick_Steampunk_Mod_by_aimeekitty.jpg

nerfgunmockup-hellsbelle.jpg

Firefly2.jpg

nerfgunmockup-mechtommy.jpg

Last edited:
Those are all pretty much modified and painted nerf guns. Great show pieces, but not made to be handled AT ALL really. You play with them much and you'll have orange and yellow plastic showing through in a hurry. There's a reason you only see pics of the guns themselves, and not of people running around with them. Even with proper prep, it's REALLY hard to get paint to stick to the cheap ABS those things are made of.

If you want something to hold up to actual use, like a laser host, it's almost going to have to be made of metal.

A, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", badge is on it's way to you right now Prototype! Yes, that's the flaw. :yabbem:

I didn't really consider it before I started, noted for the future though, but as goggles should be worn when measuring anyway, it is not a fatal flaw :rolleyes: . The look works for me though.

M

Hey, I was reading through here and noticed nobody else said a thing about the safety flaw that came to my mind... /when you use that to measure higher powered lasers, couldn't the dark wood possibly catch fire?

jooopy

Great Topic in an "Artsy-Fartsy" sense. I have to admit the look is appealing. OK Wicked Lasers ....are you reading this. We need Steam Punk ~ White Beam Lasers. Thanks for "Enlightening" me on the name of this look. And +rep for the topic.

Toke

I can't help wondering how much trouble it would be to include a microwave unit for a true "Death Beam". :D

Morgan

Hey, I was reading through here and noticed nobody else said a thing about the safety flaw that came to my mind... /when you use that to measure higher powered lasers, couldn't the dark wood possibly catch fire?

Yes, that is another consideration that had crossed my mind as I have already seen the smoke :scowl: . I decided to omit that from the original reply post because two flaws in one build really doesn't make it look like I thought it through very well! :crackup:I didn't have any crazy Class IVs at the time of conception and this is quickly going to become an obselete meter as the LaserBee I, only goes to 1,000mW. The next enclosure will have a better consideration for higher power outputs. This is still going to be a nice looking LPM though and pretty unique I think.

I will send you out a, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", too though! :D (You know they don't really exist, right? ;) )

M

Those are all pretty much modified and painted nerf guns. Great show pieces, but not made to be handled AT ALL really. You play with them much and you'll have orange and yellow plastic showing through in a hurry. There's a reason you only see pics of the guns themselves, and not of people running around with them. Even with proper prep, it's REALLY hard to get paint to stick to the cheap ABS those things are made of.

If you want something to hold up to actual use, like a laser host, it's almost going to have to be made of metal.

ok, I understand your point, but you are not seeing the forest because of all the trees.

these are just examples of Steampunk-ish designs;
once you have a design you like, you need to work out how much needs to be metal and how much needs to be cast resin.
the resins available now can have colours mixed in so that you can literally have the resin coloured like steel, then paint it like you would a real steel firearm then treat it rough to weather it and it will look like real weathered steel because the steel colour goes all the way through.

this gears of war gun is a paintball gun, and really does play on the field and takes all the rough and tumble of Scenario Paintball; including hits at 285fps.

Smooth-On - Mold Making and Casting Materials for a World of Applications!
and
Sculpture Supply Canada - plaster, silicone, carving stones, Toronto

are what i usually use.

Yes, that is another consideration that had crossed my mind as I have already seen the smoke :scowl: . I decided to omit that from the original reply post because two flaws in one build really doesn't make it look like I thought it through very well! :crackup:I didn't have any crazy Class IVs at the time of conception and this is quickly going to become an obselete meter as the LaserBee I, only goes to 1,000mW. The next enclosure will have a better consideration for higher power outputs. This is still going to be a nice looking LPM though and pretty unique I think.

I will send you out a, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", too though! :D (You know they don't really exist, right? ;) )

M

Ya haha, i'd assumed they were only "the thought that counts" kinda things, I just thought i'd point that out. :crackup:

@loosekannonn: That last pic of the small guy with Marcus' (is that his name?) head cracks me up, haha :crackup:

Does this count? Not a host but...

It's my LPM. Not quite finished yet. I have to install the buttons and bezels, and the data cable socket in the left side but it seems appropriate to post it here in it's pre-completed state. I still have to source some momentary buttons. I know they are common but I wonder if Jerry will sell me some that that are actually used on the Laserbee boards themselves? Jerry? ;) . All the brass parts were hand made, some on my lathe some just with a file.

Is this Steampunk?

Some pics:

333eiid.jpg

14jz22r.jpg

2ezr68l.jpg

The likely placement of the buttons

fe174m.jpg

If anyone can point out the safety flaw in this build I will issue a, "Morgan's Proud of Me!", badge!

Thanks,

M

Hey Morgan... I hate to burst your bubble.... but...

I see 3 problems..... (If I'm not mistaken...)

1) You DID NOT read the Entire User Instructions....
(see page 3)

2) You placed your LaserBee I Thermopile Sensor in your enclosure...

3) the Brass bezel on the Thermopile Sensor opening can reflect the
Laser's beam back to the person trying to read the Power on the LCD
display...

Did I miss something else....:thinking:

Jerry

Last edited: