Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Water stream colouring?

Hello,

Group of historic firemen asked me to figure out how to colour water streams of their hoses. It´s just for the one show, it´s meant to be pointed upwards and not cause any harm to the spectators. Also there are no power restrictions in my country, and liberal restrictions regarding safety, but still, I would go over the top, let´s be safe here.

Here´s what they have in mind: three fire hoses pointed upwards, one lit blue, one red and one left blank. The stream goes ballisticaly, and only first part needs to be lit and then the beam can escape the stream safely, as the stream goes down. The stream is not very long, 6 to 9 metres (20 to 30 feet) tops. It´s not very tight and regular, because it´s powered by steam engine.

For the show, I figured that coherence is the key and coloured light wouldn´t do the trick. We need lasers for that. Also it would take place under direct sunlight.
I don´t think it´s possible to deliver very saturated colours, they agreed that just a hint of blue and red would be enough. Anyway, don´t you just love the connection of 120yo steam powered water pump and lasers?

I hope that someone got interested in a project, because I seriously need a feedback from you, guys. I am fairly learned in optics, but I lack practical experience with laser pointers. Any tip or comment will be hugely appreciated.

kilter

under direct sunlight? forget it... ask some other people though. I am not as experienced.

rhd

Whatever benefit lasers might have here (I'm not convinced there is much) will be dramatically trumped by the fact that you can get so much more light out of LEDs for the same money, particularly with the green channel.

I think this basically calls for focussed traditional light.

Whatever benefit lasers might have here (I'm not convinced there is much) will be dramatically trumped by the fact that you can get so much more light out of LEDs for the same money, particularly with the green channel.

I think this basically calls for focussed traditional light.
So you suggest slightly focused flashlights with coloured LEDs? Does anyone sell those? Or even regular flashlights, where I can fit colour LEDs to stock driver. And focusing lens.

Yeah, that sounds like an go to idea. Can you recommend me some particular torch? Input power and LED type?

I found these babies, but they don´t come XLamps and modules. Cree High-Brightness Screen Master 4-mm Oval RGBA LEDs

There are 45° reds on 2V and blues on 3.2V, which is easy to focus, but now I have to find two donor torches which would accept standalone LEDs and have power source in about 12V. Both focused or focusable.

3Pig

You could look into laminar flow, it basically creates a clear steam of water which can act very similarly to fiber optic cable. I have seen this done with a few bits of pvc pipe and a few hundred drinking straws. This will probably reduce the water flow a little but nothing detrimental.

Also for LED's you could look at the red pt 54, you can get them for 10 dollars from dtr https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/led-s I have one and it is a monster, turns a whole room red even in daytime with the curtains open. They handle something like 25 watts.

Also in the same price range these 100w green leds from ebay 100W 100Watt Green High Power LED Light Lamp 620nm 630nm 7000 7500LM 30V 34V DIY | eBay Should be exceedingly bright because green is in peak sensitivity of human vision and the 100 watts of power :drool:.

Last edited:
Also in the same price range these 100w green leds from ebay 100W 100Watt Green High Power LED Light Lamp 620nm 630nm 7000 7500LM 30V 34V DIY | eBay Should be exceedingly bright because green is in peak sensitivity of human vision and the 100 watts of power :drool:.

Luckily they are firemen, because there will be need for some water, cooling these bad boys :-D Thank you, that was also very helpful.

I actually plan to rely on natural light bending capabilities of water. Water is really remarkable in that sense.

My name is dan, I'm very new here (just joined) but I run an established LED flashlight company that specializes in RGB lighting.

No lookin to sell you something (don't have anything off the top of my head that would do what you need) but I can definitely help you get something together. Do you know how much pressure the hoses pump out? Is there a video somewhere I can see what the stream looks like?

Feel free contact me, at the least we can bounce ideas off eachother, tho I'm confident what you're wanting is more than possible.
Dan@killerlumens.com

(Hope this isn't construed as illegal advertising, again I don't have a product to do what he wants but I have some idea's about what it would take to produce that much colored light)

Cereal killer,

that is just wonderful. It´s not advertising at all, you are just offering help - it just so happens that you and your company are actually able to do everything for me, in exchange for money :)

I will definitely contact you as soon as I´ll get the information you´ve requested. I am looking forward to it already!

Google what you asked here. Many pool supply stores sell complete kits for back yard water features. They use LEDs