Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted, LPF, The History

jakeGT

I'm sure there are others, that wonder the same thing( maybe not, maybe it's just me), but, I would like to know about how LPF was started. I want to hear from vets, and long term members that were with LPF when it was created, or anyone who's been here long enough to enlighten me.

How was LPF started? Did Avery just start playing with lasers and think, I should make this a website? How did everybody get involved? How did everyone get it to be as popular as it is today?

How did people find this site when there was ten members?

Tell me anything and everything you can about LPF, and the story. Because I am quite impressed, and interested in learning all about how it was formed, and how it still stands here today as such an awesome website, and awesome wealth of knowledge for us all.

And if Avery can chime in that's cool but I just don't see him on the forums much!

Thanks to all

Oh yeah I want to know the start and the events that came up and big issues and what knot :pop:

EDIT: Main Points in thread....

A:
Short Version...Avery was kicked out of Wicked Lasers "laser..Community" for telling the truth and asking questions that Steve Didn't like....IIRC...So He created LaserPointerForums.

Q:
Really, so Wicked has been around since like 2004?

Were they dominating the laser pointer industry at one point?

A:
I think it was about that, I got my first >5mW greenie from Wicked back in Januray 2005. That was back when Wicked Lasers sold modified chrome "leadlight" green lasers. For the first few years they were about the only company that sold high power pointers. At that point their forum was the most popular and really the only laser pointer themed forum. Pretty much stayed that way until the summer of 2006 when c0ldshadow was banned from their forum during the phase when they banning anyone for saying anything about other companies. So he created LPF as a replacement were talk of all companies was allowed. At first membership was pretty small and a few disaters kept LPF from becoming very popular. Back in late 2006 - early 2007 a terrible scammer named tommygreen23 terrorized Wicked Forums and LPF. Sadly he was able to rise to rank of LPF moderator before he was caught and banished. He must have stolen close to $10,000 of things from people on both forums. Including my very first >5mW from original Wicked Lasers. :( After that as the Wicked Forum started to clamp down on their rules more people migrated over to LPF and it started to grow. Right at the beginning we also had a link to LPF on the DragonLasers website which really helped get the forum off to a good start. At first most of the membership were banned members from Wicked Forums, but after that Dragon Lasers' link and YouTube really helped us grow cause at that point there was no Laser Pointer themed forum where talk of all companies was allowed. I basically migrated over to LPF after I too was banned from the Wicked Forum.

A:
At the time when LPF was created in the summer of '06 there were really no DIY lasers. The 16X red diodes (early 2007) and the first bluray diodes (late 2007) and the corresponding DIY videos about them that were posted on YouTube and linked back to LPF was really the point were the forum took off. Before that membership was quite scarce.

Q:
Who was the first to take a diode, driver, and all other parts to make their own laser? Or who was the first to introduce it to LPF?

A:
The majority of the original red builds I saw were "kipkay style" driverless builds. I think deadal was one of the first to design a driver for the hobby.

Last edited:

jakeGT

Exactly! Ideally I would like for avery and the longest members to tell me how this awesome place came to be!

And all the Newbie stories of the vet members! and all the fights and spats!

Dont hold you're breath. There was a lot of bad blood between the first members/mods. The rivalry continues to date.

jakeGT

Well we can check back 2 days to get a bunch of fight history haha

Short Version...Avery was kicked out of Wicked Lasers "laser..Community" for telling the truth and asking questions that Steve Didn't like....IIRC...So He created LaserPointerForums.

jakeGT

Set the Wayback Machine to 2007 Sherman.

6a00d83451cb8069e201310f8f762a970c-pi

http://web.archive.org/web/20071106091517/www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl

jakeGT

Anything, everything, the sweet and pretty, the nitty gritty. All of it.

I saw something on youtube once also about a laser rap by a guy named humansymphony. He still around the forums?

Oh yeah, also, I've been perusing the old forums TJ and that's crazy all of that is still there.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter

I think it was about that, I got my first >5mW greenie from Wicked back in Januray 2005. That was back when Wicked Lasers sold modified chrome "leadlight" green lasers. For the first few years they were about the only company that sold high power pointers. At that point their forum was the most popular and really the only laser pointer themed forum. Pretty much stayed that way until the summer of 2006 when c0ldshadow was banned from their forum during the phase when they banning anyone for saying anything about other companies. So he created LPF as a replacement were talk of all companies was allowed. At first membership was pretty small and a few disaters kept LPF from becoming very popular. Back in late 2006 - early 2007 a terrible scammer named tommygreen23 terrorized Wicked Forums and LPF. Sadly he was able to rise to rank of LPF moderator before he was caught and banished. He must have stolen close to $10,000 of things from people on both forums. Including my very first >5mW from original Wicked Lasers. :( After that as the Wicked Forum started to clamp down on their rules more people migrated over to LPF and it started to grow. Right at the beginning we also had a link to LPF on the DragonLasers website which really helped get the forum off to a good start. At first most of the membership were banned members from Wicked Forums, but after that Dragon Lasers' link and YouTube really helped us grow cause at that point there was no Laser Pointer themed forum where talk of all companies was allowed. I basically migrated over to LPF after I too was banned from the Wicked Forum.

Last edited:

jakeGT

I think it was about that, I got my first >5mW greenie from Wicked back in Januray 2005. That was back when Wicked Lasers sold modified chrome "leadlight" green lasers. For the first few years they were about the only company that sold high power pointers. At that point their forum was the most popular and really the only laser pointer themed forum. Pretty much stayed that way until the summer of 2006 when c0ldshadow was banned from their forum during the phase when they banning anyone for saying anything about other companies. So he created LPF as a replacement were talk of all companies was allowed. At first membership was pretty small and a few disaters kept LPF from becoming very popular. Back in late 2006 - early 2007 a terrible scammer named tommygreen23 terrorized Wicked Forums and LPF. Sadly he was able to rise to rank of LPF moderator before he was caught and banished. He must have stolen close to $10,000 of things from people on both forums. Including my very first >5mW from original Wicked Lasers. :( After that as the Wicked Forum started to clamp down on their rules more people migrated over to LPF and it started to grow. Right at the beginning we also had a link to LPF on the DragonLasers website which really helped get the forum off to a good start.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Very glad to see that Avery took a stand for everybody and making all companies allowed to be talked about