Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Videos from youtube you wish to share.

roll_floor.gif
roll_floor.gif

Maybe we can ask Rivem to make up some laser labels .....

:crackup:

Interesting reaction with water to release H2. Not sure if this is a catalytic reaction and therefore could be used indefinitely to release H2, but I can see why some are trying it as an alternative fuel.

Encap

Interesting reaction with water to release H2. Not sure if this is a catalytic reaction and therefore could be used indefinitely to release H2, but I can see why some are trying it as an alternative fuel.

Gallium amalgamates with Al it much as mercury amalgamates with gold or silver. Gallium penetrates the crystal structure dissolving the aluminum, too.
Gallium has the unusual property, unlike mercury, of being able to penetrate the oxide film on aluminum and so attacks it much more readily.
The result is an alloy of gallium and aluminum.

As seen in the phase diagram below, Aluminum has a huge solubility in Galium in the ambient temperature.
main-qimg-b347d4fade02dc9c04b23b997a083559

The Galluim penetrates the oxide laser normally protecting Al showing the usually-hidden high natural reactivity of metallic aluminum .
Activated Al can then be oxidized with water.
Oxygen in H2O will oxidize the dissolved Aluminum and release H2 as follows:
Al + 3H2O > Al(OH)3 + 3/2H2 ^ what remains later is liquid gallium and water with Al2O3 particles.
See "Activation of Aluminum Metal and Its Reaction with Water": https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257357858_Activation_of_Aluminum_Metal_and_Its_Reaction_with_Water

Gallium is interesting elemental stuff and many uses have been found for it. "It shares the higher-density liquid state with a short list of other materials that includes water, silicon, germanium, antimony, bismuth, and plutonium.
Gallium attacks most other metals by diffusing into the metal lattice. For example, it diffuses into the grain boundaries of aluminum-zinc alloys and steel, making them very brittle and it easily alloys with many metals"
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium

Example: The interesting property interplays of Gallium/Plutonium alloy.
Plutonium is without question the most complex and interesting of all metals.
Gallium is used to stabilize plutonium's crystal structure.
Plutonium has a large number of very peculiar properties, amongst them:
Pu has the lowest thermal conductivity of any metal,
Pu's electrical conductivity is lower than any metal.
Pu is the most viscous liquid metal known.
Pu undergoes the most extreme and bizarre density changes with temperature of any known element.

Plutonium has six distinct phases (crystal structures) in solid form, more than any other element, actually there is a seventh that exists under certain conditions but...
At room temperature pure plutonium exhibits a crystal structure that is termed the "alpha phase". In this form plutonium is at its maximum density 19.84 at 20 C. The atoms in the alpha phase are essentially covalently bonded (as opposed to metallically bonded), giving it physical properties more nearly like a mineral than a metal.
Delta phase plutonium, density of about 15.9, has normal metallic properties, including excellent ductility. The delta phase has strength and malleability similar to aluminum, which makes forming and machining straightforward, although interestingly, it shrinks when heated rather than expands.
Plutonium can be stabilized in the delta phase at room temperature by alloying it with certain trivalent atoms such as Gallium, however, when stabilized, the delta phase still collapses easily, a pressure of a few kilobars is sufficient to make it revert to the alpha phase.
Plutonium is normally stabilized in the delta phase by alloying it with 3-3.5 molar% gallium (0.9-1.0% by weight). This alloy is stable from at least -75 to 475 degrees C. The stabilization prevents low temperature phase changes from occurring after fabrication, casting and machining, that would ruin the precisely made components. Gallium stabilized plutonium has an almost zero coefficient of expansion which makes casting easier and the gallium also reduces the susceptibility to corrosion of plutonium
Problem solved w. Gallium, without which...

Last edited:
So, it isn't a catalytic reaction. Too bad. I doubt is would be a cheap alternative fuel. I got the ability of Ga to dissolve Al. That was quite apparent from the link. Knew it was used in semiconductors too.

GSS

Red absolutely insane riding:):D
Riding even on the pebbly off road side! I't never broke 299 kph on several occasions so thinking electronic chip cutoff?

Last edited:
I seem to be getting a lot of calls from people trying to sell me crap on my cell. It would be nice if I could use one of these techniques to get even with them every so often. :)

Red absolutely insane riding:):D
Riding even on the pebbly off road side! I't never broke 299 kph on several occasions so thinking electronic chip cutoff?

Yes for a while European law had manufactures block any readout in excess of 299kph to discourage people from going faster just to see the number 300 or some silliness, as if 186mph is ok but a 187 is too much......anyway you can see the tachometer keep climbing after 299 freezes, many manufacturers put a 199mph governor on US bikes but everyone can buy a replacement ECU, that's how tuners get past the " Intellectual property " BS, even Holley sells an entire fuel system with ECU for LS tuners, now you see everyone at the track with a lap top adjusting fuel/air, timing and boost pressure and they tune by gear which is a great idea but kind of like cheating by our old world standards LOL.

I seem to be getting a lot of calls from people trying to sell me crap on my cell. It would be nice if I could use one of these techniques to get even with them every so often. :)

I recently played the " BOOP BEEP BOOP You have reached a number that has been disconnected " into my phone when a marketer called and now the calls have stopped for the last few days, it's as if the auto dialers added my number to the disconnected list.

Last edited: