Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Videos from youtube you wish to share.

:eek: Good to know... Thanks for the heads up..
Glad I never joined..

I was thinking that myself...

I had received a brand new Astralist LPM that
was 12% off compared to a recently calibrated
Newport LPM.
We have not seen your power testing setup or
operation... so we can't really tell if your tests
are "messed up" or not.
Do you have the 15mm X 15mm sensor on your
LPM or the 6mm X 6mm sensor :thinking:

Jerry

I don't doubt that it's unlikely 9+ watts, I just would like to know that I'm not doing something wrong performing the testing.

The 6mm squared, They've used two diff sensors?

The setup and operation seems pretty straight forwards, From about two feet away I have the beam pre-sized or focused to cover about 75% of the sensor surface and after the laser had had plenty of time to be completely cooled off I turn the laser on and keep the dot centered on the sensor area as the power reading shoots up and plateaus and starts to drop for a few seconds and the test is done.

Last edited:

I don't own a video cam? But my description of the testing is accurate.

Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong with the testing as I described them?

EDIT - OK now I know this LPM is reading high, I just test my M462 diode laser for the first time using a G-2 and I got 2859.703mW and that diode is only a 2.2 watt diode!

Now my next question is what can I do about it?

Last edited:
I don't doubt that it's unlikely 9+ watts, I just would like to know that I'm not doing something wrong performing the testing.

The 6mm squared, They've used two diff sensors?

The setup and operation seems pretty straight forwards, From about two feet away I have the beam pre-sized or focused to cover about 75% of the sensor surface and after the laser had had plenty of time to be completely cooled off I turn the laser on and keep the dot centered on the sensor area as the power reading shoots up and plateaus and starts to drop for a few seconds and the test is done.

I have the same meter and I powered it up the other day and tested a new nubm44, it read 3.1w @ 4.5a and I was just getting pissed when I tested a known laser that read low, so I shut it off and on again and them it read 5.5w @ 4.5a through a 3 element lens just as it should, I waited to make sure everything was cooled down and tested again, and got 5.5w, again 5.5w

I don't know why it just decided to read low, it was from a cold start after sitting in it's sealed plastic container unused for weeks, I did put a switch on my battery so I don't have to keep unplugging the jack but that's perfectly reasonable.

I don't see anything wrong with my storage or battery switch, also in the past it would occasionally at turn on run up a phantom reading, so I would turn it off and on and that would clear it, I don't see any bad solder points on the board or any shorts, I wish I had bought a NOS head and built my own but this works and reads reliably when it doesn't have a bug up it's ass, also 1 reason I bought it was because the ad said I could recalibrate it for an Ophir head, but I will just make do at this point until I get/make something better, so maybe try turning it on and off after a reading, let your laser return to room temp and try again, then again, and write down all 3 readings, see if the last 2 are basically the same or not.

61368d1535649209-videos-youtube-you-wish-share-sany3161.jpg

61369d1535649209-videos-youtube-you-wish-share-sany3167.jpg

Attachments

• SANY3161.JPG
    SANY3161.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 46
  • SANY3167.JPG
    SANY3167.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I don't own a video cam? But my description of the testing is accurate.

Can you think of anything I might be doing wrong with the testing as I described them?

EDIT - OK now I know this LPM is reading high, I just test my M462 diode laser for the first time using a G-2 and I got 2859.703mW and that diode is only a 2.2 watt diode!

Now my next question is what can I do about it?
You know what, never mind and forget I asked because any help you might provide is not worth the abuse that comes with it, Go get bent!

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Soooo, you get offered a realistic idea to discover if your LPM has stability issues and you pull a Cartman <screw you guys I'm going home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az5gp87ROOs >. Lovely attitude there.

But fine, if you don't wanna talk about the hardware and methodology of your power measurements then I would suggest you probably ought to refrain from presenting any such measurements.

Besides, in the photos you show the PEAK power, which is pretty meaningless. The average power, the plateau you mention, that is a far more meaningful number.

Last edited:
One thing I've noticed in the time I've been here, It seems somewhat hypocritical for the vets and even a mod to claim they are sick of the turmoil around here when they themselves are the ones creating it in the first place?

Very disconcerting to say the least.

I have the same meter and I powered it up the other day and tested a new nubm44, it read 3.1w @ 4.5a and I was just getting pissed when I tested a known laser that read low, so I shut it off and on again and them it read 5.5w @ 4.5a through a 3 element lens just as it should, I waited to make sure everything was cooled down and tested again, and got 5.5w, again 5.5w

I don't know why it just decided to read low, it was from a cold start after sitting in it's sealed plastic container unused for weeks, I did put a switch on my battery so I don't have to keep unplugging the jack but that's perfectly reasonable.

I don't see anything wrong with my storage or battery switch, also in the past it would occasionally at turn on run up a phantom reading, so I would turn it off and on and that would clear it, I don't see any bad solder points on the board or any shorts, I wish I had bought a NOS head and built my own but this works and reads reliably when it doesn't have a bug up it's ass, also 1 reason I bought it was because the ad said I could recalibrate it for an Ophir head, but I will just make do at this point until I get/make something better, so maybe try turning it on and off after a reading, let your laser return to room temp and try again, then again, and write down all 3 readings, see if the last 2 are basically the same or not.

There may be something as simple as an intermittent
connection between the Sensor and the PCB or perhaps
even a Firmware bug.
BTW... those two extra decimal point digits are useless
on that LPM. All they are showing is noise.

One thing I've noticed in the time I've been here, It seems somewhat hypocritical for the vets and even a mod to claim they are sick of the turmoil around here when they themselves are the ones creating it in the first place?

Very disconcerting to say the least.
Care to to explain that sentiment :thinking:

Jerry

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought about the connector and wiggled it, I also noticed when I had the ill fitting case taped on it happened more, likely it was pressing on the connector, it hasn't been a problem since I took the case off, but if it is I will repair the connector.

Until we see a vid or a graph --something that makes us NOT think this is just another load of bull- shine two lasers at same time.. get a swell peak- take pic and the fool a LPF will not be the wiser.

It's moot. He is finally banned again. Thank god!

I sure hope he is not doing what he did before.. take his crap to the other forum... last time --it was not good-Drama is not well liked at PL.... & you can be sure many there were unhappy..and we got blamed for part of it.

I was surprised they tolerated him as long as they did. Zac asks me why I have not used my Crapcord acct.
sez I joined as 'hak'.. but no talky..no need for a chat.
never been there or joined.. nope . laserman is a 'mod' there and will take down the acct. using my nic..
WTF?
pretty sure the typing glitch at PeeLee is the work of a hacker.
so bad I cannot PM there or post in many threads.. looks like the typing of a chimp.

BradB has started thread..not all are having this problem..admin there is working on this.. but do not be surprised if/when 'They' do that here..or myb they wont.. until its fixed I type in MSWord and copypasta.. :p

as far as 46 yr old brat did what we knew would happen -he would implode- fine way to spend your birthday ACCU.. must be the water in LV its all 'brought-in' right? :whistle:
ps ..and how again is this the fault of a Mod? just giving a guy one more chance-

Last edited:

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
He still has an account over at CPF but he doesn't post much.

Likely why he hasn't been banned there. You have to post to prove you're an a$$hat. Most are probably not even aware he has an account.

Possible use in laser/led ?

This is neat, but I wouldn't touch the diodes with my hands.

Last edited:
@ Hakz
There is no way the Janitor at PL will let
him in again.. The janitor was very lenient
before he clue-by-foured accu.

That Gutless A$$hat Dimwit had only to shut his
yap and try to fit in... but that was to complicated
for the single pea in his head to comprehend.
He just had to show us his (non existent) superiority
issues as he did before he was perma-banned.
What a clueless clown.

Jerry

Last edited: