Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Urgent help with 1W Sanwu 405 nm Silver

Stupid question: did you have the laser set to full output during the test if it's a multi mode version?

Also, my pocket laser only focused to 5ft when new. They claim they set it to infinity, so I don't know where they went wrong in QC tests or assembly methods. I eventually figured out that I had to screw the laser module deeper into the host to get infinite focus. I actually get just wider than infinity when the cap is screwed on all the way. I also used a tiny little drop of super glue on the threads before screwing the rest of the way when I knew where to adjust it to, so adjusting the focus doesn't turn the diode case. Turned out to be a good laser. It would be interesting to meter mine since it seems like half power is just as bright as full power, and both burn.

KMitch

Stupid question: did you have the laser set to full output during the test if it's a multi mode version?

Also, my pocket laser only focused to 5ft when new. They claim they set it to infinity, so I don't know where they went wrong in QC tests or assembly methods. I eventually figured out that I had to screw the laser module deeper into the host to get infinite focus. I actually get just wider than infinity when the cap is screwed on all the way. I also used a tiny little drop of super glue on the threads before screwing the rest of the way when I knew where to adjust it to, so adjusting the focus doesn't turn the diode case. Turned out to be a good laser. It would be interesting to meter mine since it seems like half power is just as bright as full power, and both burn.

I have a multi-mode switch on my Spiker, but for the Silver I opted for single mode, so it's full power all the time.

KMitch

Lots of comments on Page 2 that I didn't see, so I'll try to answer them all here.

I'm fairly confident in the test at the Petawatt facility because I got reasonable output from my LaserBTB 200 mW which typically yield 300 mW. If it were under 200 mW, I could have been more concerned. However, I don't know if the LPM was metered so the reading could be off. The people who work there are very busy at you'd imagine, and I just don't think they have the time to fully calibrate an older LPM for someone who's not contributing to the facility.

I sent the laser out to Paul today, after watching the eclipse of course :p

Podo, thanks for the reassurance.

All set on the testing hakzaw1, but I appreciate your help. I'll get back to you on Gmail later tonight, just super busy around here with a new project starting in lab!

Got the testing done today on KMitch's Sanwu 405nm laser. I used two fully charged 18650s and did two test runs. Each one was 90 seconds long as Podo said it needed to be on for 60 seconds to get to full power. It really doesn't take nearly that long, but to be fair I made them a minute and a half. The first one showed a power of 485 mW and the second one which I too longer to do as I waited until it seemed to be fully powered before I started the test was 517 mW. So, if this is supposed to be an 800 mW laser, it isn't.

KMitch

Got the testing done today on KMitch's Sanwu 405nm laser. I used two fully charged 18650s and did two test runs. Each one was 90 seconds long as Podo said it needed to be on for 60 seconds to get to full power. It really doesn't take nearly that long, but to be fair I made them a minute and a half. The first one showed a power of 485 mW and the second one which I too longer to do as I waited until it seemed to be fully powered before I started the test was 517 mW. So, if this is supposed to be an 800 mW laser, it isn't.

I sent a PM to Paul, but I also wanted to thank him publicly for his hard work. The laser was actually advertised as 1000 mW, so it's only putting out half the power. I chose a G2 lens as well, which should have the lowest amount of loss. Once I get it back from Paul, I'll send it back to Sanwu and ask them to make sure the output is correct before they ship the Silver back with a new module.

Podo

Since KMitch prefer to avoid the risk sending the laser back to china, there is little we know/can do to the laser problem except sending a new replacement module.

We will send KMitch a new 900mw 405nm module as promised or a refund if he request us.

Edit: KMitch agreed to send the laser back when it's back to him.

Last edited:
Thanks you, KMitch. Always happy to help a LPF member when I can. It will be going back as soon as i hear about the questions I asked in the PM.

BobMc

I read where you ordered a single mode driver on this unit. I'm wondering if a Laser with a multi-mode driver got sent by mistake. Because at aprox 500mw's it could be in the half power mode. This happened to me once. Might be worth checking before it gets sent back?

Anyway glad Sanwu going to stand good on their end. Best wishes with your return/replace/repair. :)

Last edited:
I read where you ordered a single mode driver on this unit. I'm wondering if a Laser with a multi-mode driver got sent by mistake. Because at aprox 500mw's it could be in the half power mode. This happened to me once. Might be worth checking before it gets sent back?

Anyway glad Sanwu going to stand good on their end. Best wishes with your return/replace/repair. :)

Way ahead of you. That was one of the first things I checked. Thus the multiple tests. It is ~500 mW. And that is that.

BobMc

Way ahead of you. That was one of the first things I checked. Thus the multiple tests. It is ~500 mW. And that is that.

Well, back to Sanwu it goes. Glad their going to repair or replace the unit. :)

BobMc

It goes out in tomorrow's mail. With luck, he'll get it this week.

I'm sure he thanks you for testing it. Hopefully it makes the trip to and from China speedily. I know what it's like, as Tom Petty sings "The Waiting is the Hardest Part" :)

KMitch

Paul did a great job. My biggest fear is the package getting stuck at the black hole known as ISC Chicago. The laser passed through there the first time without issue, but others have reported delays lasting weeks, or packages simply lost.

Chicago seems out of the way for getting to Austin. There are hubs around here that would be a better way to get sorted. It may have gone through there when coming into or leaving the country, but not for a domestic package.

KMitch

Oh I'm only talking about the package going to / from Hong Kong once I send it off again to Sanwu. I'll disassemble and wrap it up tight like they did. The trip from your state to mine should be pretty uneventful.

hey K-M
are you going to leave us hanging?

are you going to tell us how this ended?
we need to know!