Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Urgent help with 1W Sanwu 405 nm Silver

BobMc

~~~~~~~~~~the driver we use for 405nm diodes is a soft-start driver, it takes time for the diode to reach its full power.~~~

That's really good to know. Seeing the 405's are a finicky diode and seem to "give up the ghost" if you just look at them side-ways. :gj:

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

There are many drivers with soft start. It is always within a second to full power, not 40 seconds. Are you saying that your driver takes 40 to 60 seconds to reach full power? How is that done? Capacitors are used to soft start drivers and it would be an enormous one to take that long to charge.

Podo

There are many drivers with soft start. It is always within a second to full power, not 40 seconds. Are you saying that your driver takes 40 to 60 seconds to reach full power? How is that done? Capacitors are used to soft start drivers and it would be an enormous one to take that long to charge.

Our 405nm driver starts with a base current and it slowly climbs over time.

Check this video, it took around 40-50 seconds to reach 800mw and it wasn't because the lpm is tec based, there was a linear climb after 00:38 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzBpn_mhk4

Last edited:
You are using a TEC base LPM to measure the output. It is easy to see the soft start up, but it doesn't take that long to get to full power. It takes that long to heat the TEC up to read 800 mW. From what I saw, the soft start takes less than a few seconds to get to full power. The strobe at the beginning is a nice touch, but try measuring on an Ophir thermopile. It takes far less time to get an accurate reading.

Reactions: GSS

KMitch

This is the first reply we sent him after he told us the lpm result:

"There is no way it metered around 500mw only with G2 lens, how long the test lasted? 405nm diodes usually requires 40-60 seconds to warm up to reach its full power.

We advise you to try another 18650 batteries as well, many times batteries is the reason behind the decrease power of the laser.

Yet if you think there is no problem on your end, you can always send the laser back and we will test it and make sure it's over 900mw when it's back to your hand."

We have explained the possible reason of the problem, we asked for a 40-60 seconds test, our power rating is not determined by peak output and we also offered a full restoration.

We will issue a full refund if he doesn't feel like it and return the laser.

I do appreciate the offer to replace it if defective. Your company has always had excellent customer service, and I continue to recommend Sanwu to people interested in buying portable lasers.

One thing I was worried about was the time it would take to ship to HK and back again, with the risk once more of customs confiscating the laser. A much better option would be for someone in the US to test it like Paul has offered. If he finds nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't need to take that risk.

However, I was also worried that if the second test took too long, you may not take the laser back. It seems I was mistaken about the return policy. I confused your return policy with that of Sky Lasers, which was 30 days. I didn't mean to imply that you refused to take the product back under every circumstance. At any rate, I'll let you know the result of the test after I ship it to Paul tomorrow.

I do appreciate the offer to replace it if defective. Your company has always had excellent customer service, and I continue to recommend Sanwu to people interested in buying portable lasers.

One thing I was worried about was the time it would take to ship to HK and back again, with the risk once more of customs confiscating the laser. A much better option would be for someone in the US to test it like Paul has offered. If he finds nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't need to take that risk.

However, I was also worried that if the second test took too long, you may not take the laser back. It seems I was mistaken about the return policy. I confused your return policy with that of Sky Lasers, which was 30 days. I didn't mean to imply that you refused to take the product back under every circumstance. At any rate, I'll let you know the result of the test after I ship it to Paul tomorrow.

Your not confident in the first test performed in a place like the Texas Petawatt Laser Facility ???

Last edited:
Our 405nm driver starts with a base current and it slowly climbs over time.

Check this video, it took around 40-50 seconds to reach 800mw and it wasn't because the lpm is tec based, there was a linear climb after 00:38 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzzBpn_mhk4
The video shows a DIY Laser Power Meter that
uses a slow response 15mm X 15mm Thermo
Electric Cooler.

When was it last calibrated... What recently
calibrated NIST traceable source was used
to calibrate your DIY LPM...:thinking:

It is not the slow start that is taking 40-50
seconds to come up to power. It is the large
TEC sensor that is taking time to heat up to
the Laser's power.

I would be leery of the accuracy of that LPM
and I'd have the Laser checked by Paul to see
if the problem is the Laser or the DIY LPM used
by Sanwu.:undecided:

Jerry

Last edited:
I'll test it and send it right back as it seems to be time sensitive. Hopefully won't take a week in transit both ways. I'll send a printout too.

I'll test it and send it right back as it seems to be time sensitive. Hopefully won't take a week in transit both ways. I'll send a printout too.

After seeing Sanwu's LPM Im now quite
curious as to the actual power of the
OP's 1 Watt Laser..

Jerry

wait what??
Paul would be a great choice BUT--why not an Austin member w/LPM--duh?

hang on while I hook you up w/Rod..

I told ALL when you join our TX group you MUST sub the group at two places NOT just the one.

brb
I was under the assumption that they were like JETLASERS --guess not or it woukld have been replaced no Qs...

Podo

Our one year warranty covers underperformance of the laser and if you afraid of customs issue, we will send you a new module without you taking any risks as we said to you in our second email response.

If a full refund is what you're more looking into right now then you must ship the whole laser back to us.

In fact, we can ship you a new module right now but if you insist to wait for paul's test before making a decision, we will wait for the second test result then.

^^^ well that is nice... glad to read it... hope it works out great for all.
+250 forPodo

@KMitch..

I would trust Paul to do the Laser Power Test
before taking a chance to send it back to China.
That's just my feelings....

Jerry

Last edited:

Gadget

wait what??

I told ALL when you join our TX group you MUST sub the group at two places NOT just the one.

Wait what?
I never heard anything about subbing the group in two places.... hellfire.....THAT'S probably why I'm not getting notif's. Hook a brutha up Hak!!

Sorry to but into your thread KMitch, but this is important. 😉

-G