Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Updated! Firefly 589nm DL Review!

Another pic of 589 with 445 532 and 650 for contrast.
9877-20140617-135731-1.jpg

What is the beam size? Looks a little thicker than my yellow but then at the higher power I'd expect that.

1/5 centimeter. 2 mm basically?

Is my math right here?

Last edited:
Ok, for all of you interested in getting one of these beauties I spoke with Adam at DL and he's willing to do a GB for ten or more participants. I am going to post a link here a little later to the thread for the GB. I will give more details on that thread, but for here I will say the price per laser shipped to one place (me) will be $377. Basically he will drop the price to $377 and ship all 10 to one place for free. As I did in my last GB with Goldenstar, I would front the cash for them and when they arrived I could reship them CONUS for about $6 plus any insurance. That would be $383 per laser.

Keep an eye out for the GB thread, link will be here soon.

Hope your GB works out. I wouldn't wait the extra time to save 30 dollars tbh mine came in 6 days will worth paying full price. But I'm sure some will like to take advantage of a well priced laser on discount

Ok, for all of you interested in getting one of these beauties I spoke with Adam at DL and he's willing to do a GB for ten or more participants. I am going to post a link here a little later to the thread for the GB. I will give more details on that thread, but for here I will say the price per laser shipped to one place (me) will be $377. Basically he will drop the price to $377 and ship all 10 to one place for free. As I did in my last GB with Goldenstar, I would front the cash for them and when they arrived I could reship them CONUS for about $6 plus any insurance. That would be $383 per laser.

sounds fantastic

IsaacT

By the way Xirrious that is a fantastic beamshot you took there. I love the color! Makes the 589 look a little too on the orange side, but not far enough off to matter.

That's if your a Gold club member. I don't know what your total discount was but at full price with shipping from China mine was about $440, more like a $57 dollar savings than $30. I didn't try to wrangle them down any when I bought mine and unless you are already a club member I suspect Adam probably won't be willing to negotiate too much knowing a GB is already in place. I could be wrong.

Even at $440 it's a hell of a laser, and I would pay $440 all over again if I had to.

Cheers,
JM

IsaacT

When I got mine I was spear-heading the Diffraction Grating GB. So I negotiated getting the gold member price by promising happy customers and lots of pics/review material(which gives you points on their site). Adam was happy to oblige and in doing so won some loyalty from me. And I have high standards for customer service/products. DL done good by me.

By the way Xirrious that is a fantastic beamshot you took there. I love the color! Makes the 589 look a little too on the orange side, but not far enough off to matter.

Thanks Isaac it's my new sig pic obviously cuz it came ouso good.

Yes :)

Finally put this thing on the Ophir. Very surprised to see a peak of 106mw. I tried to catch it with my iPhone but it delayed while trying to focus and I caught it on the way back down, 97mw is what I can prove. You'll have to take my word on the 106mw for now. I will try a video next time I start her up from cold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 57
Awesome! Do you think you can do a metering with your ophir where you plot the output power against time while noting starting temperature? If there is no data export an anecdotal graph using 5sec intervals will suffice for me.

I noticed mine is very sensitive to temperature in terms of peak output; when the laser is under 70F I get peaks over 90mW and average of about 70mW for most of the 1min duty cycle, but if the laser is already over 70F the peak and average power drops drastically per degree F above 70F (at 80F it peaks at 61mW and averages 39mW, at 90F it peaks at 44mW and averages 20mW).

Last edited:
Awesome! Do you think you can do a metering with your ophir where you plot the output power against time while noting starting temperature? If there is no data export an anecdotal graph using 5sec intervals will suffice for me.

I noticed mine is very sensitive to temperature in terms of peak output; when the laser is under 70F I get peaks over 90mW and average of about 70mW for most of the 1min duty cycle, but if the laser is already over 70F the peak and average power drops drastically per degree F above 70F (at 80F it peaks at 61mW and averages 39mW, at 90F it peaks at 44mW and averages 20mW).

That sounds about right. That's about what my PGL-C does. The module gets really hot very quickly. When I was doing my alignments, I would have to hold the module Lily was adjusting crystals and it gets really hot within seconds of turning on.