Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

took my 445 on a plane

When asked what it was I'd just say...

"I dunno, I wonder how that got in there!" :lasergun:

Statement Edit -
They would not care about your excuse.
They will just use you as an exemple,
and make it harder on this hobby.

Last edited:
Ok, on a public aircraft such action might be best to avoid.

.....but if someone has a private aircraft and caution is used in making sure no other aircraft is in the area, it would be interesting to have someone one the ground watch and see how visible a laser beam would be if beamed horizonitally out of the plane window at night. (preferrably in a very rural area)

Mmmm. Maybe if you pressed the aperture right against the single-pane glass, reflections wouldn't be a big deal. My uncle owns a small plane. If I ever get a 445... I might have to try this experiment.

Things

It's bad enough taking the laser carry on in the first place, yet you'd shine it out the window while flying??

Great way to get yourself fined and jailed for terrorist activites.

Although if it was on a private plane somewhere rural it'd be interesting to see.

It would be interesting to see what a high powered 445 would look like shining straight down from a plane on a clear night would look like... safe? no. But I'm sure there's no one here who's at least a little bit curious.

It would be interesting to see what a high powered 445 would look like shining straight down from a plane on a clear night would look like... safe? no. But I'm sure there's no one here who isn't at least a little bit curious.

:p. Yes i think it would be cool to see too

:spank: I would be afraid of getting caught with it trying to get on the airplane,
vanish from society, and end up in one of those dark holds we don't talk about
where Nobody would ever hear from me again.
Just Crazy, Stuped !!!
If you have read enough here on LPF,
then you would know that they are
- Not Legal To Carry -
let along boarding an aircraft where you could be
concerted a TERRORIST !!!
They would not care about your excuse.
They will just use you as an exemple,
and make it harder on this hobby.

not true. it is only illegal to sell. there isn't a law against owning one. but there are public nuisance laws, and tons of other laws that any cop could use against you.

exactly spyro....

I'm a private pilot who sometimes flies single-engine planes at night. Since getting my Arctic I've had the urge to open up the side window (just a 3" x 5" hinged window on the pilot's side) and carefully shine the Arctic out to the side. If I managed to shine it down onto somebody on the ground, would that cancel one event of a laser being shined at a plane? :D

Last edited:

udanis

I'm a private pilot who oc*****nally flies single-engine planes at night. Since getting my Arctic I've had the urge to open up the side window (just a 3" x 5" hinged window on the pilot's side) and carefully shine the Arctic out to the side. If I managed to shine it down onto somebody on the ground, would that cancel one event of a laser being shined at a plane? :D

I guess "o c c a s i o n a l l y" has the name of a major electronics mfg in it lol

I'm a private pilot who sometimes flies single-engine planes at night. Since getting my Arctic I've had the urge to open up the side window (just a 3" x 5" hinged window on the pilot's side) and carefully shine the Arctic out to the side. If I managed to shine it down onto somebody on the ground, would that cancel one event of a laser being shined at a plane? :D

Well, I would be very careful at shining it to the ground unless you are flying in a very rural sparsely populated area, and if so if you had someone on the ground that could video or photograph the beam that would be neat.

It would be safer though to point it out the window horizontally (making sure no other planes are in the area) and also have someone video or photograph it from the ground. :D

I travel with lasers all the time and never had a problem. Of course I have lots of electronic equipment with me. Never has anything raised a question. One time back in the 80s I had a bag check requested. In my carry on I had an old Westclox windup alarm clock and a case of AA batteries. Well my luck has it the batteries were lying next to the bottom of the alarm clock and on the x-ray it looked like a clock with explosives! :D This was long before 09/11.

Of course today the scanners are more sophisticated than a simple radiographic scanner and dangerous things (propellants specifically) will show up red, for example. If you put a .410 shotgun shell in your arctic see what happens! ;)

Shining out a window definitely would result in multiple reflections since there is more than one pane (three IIRC) so you'd have multiple reflections. It's best to leave it in your bag and just be thankful that no one at the checkpoint asked about it! Why push anyone's buttons?

Kevlar

If I managed to shine it down onto somebody on the ground, would that cancel one event of a laser being shined at a plane? :D

Only if you shine it down on my house in Palmer!!! :crackup::crackup::crackup:
:lasergun:

Bad boy chip! You could have blinded a pilot on the ground while he was at the airport bar & tavern.
:drunk: