Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Think I may have found the most expensive laser!

SKeeZ

thats sure quite an astronomical price, makes you wonder how it is used... good find though, thanks for sharing

Yeah reckon you would be right about that as a one of ,but agree with ARG why that exact frequency ? and hence the high cost to get produced

Last edited:
Yeah reckon you would be right about that as a one of ,but agree with ARG why that exact frequency ? and hence the high cost to get produced

No clue why, just knew 500nm is a pretty expensive wavelength, but from laserglow.

Oh mah Gawd, I knew the price would be huge :beer::beer::beer:

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!

Last edited:
This is typical for any non-mass produced piece of photonic equipment. And depending on the lab, and your research grants, $8k could be spare change to you.

Trust me - it gets much much worse than this very quickly.

I'm almost sure you can get an engineering sample/test diode for a lesser price and more power. Though DPSS has its perks over diodes.

2mW is pretty much the absolute max you can get out of this from a *standard* DPSS procedure. 946nm + 1064nm SFG (similar process to 589/593.5). The coatings to allow both of those wavelengths to pass/reflect must be astronomically difficult to make... not to mention still inefficient. I think that peaks at 500.8nm.

Granted, labs can up the power a bit by two methods... both involve combining beams.

Think this costs more. 1 meter beams!

He was saying price per output :p

Though I know of a cheaper source for 501nm. CNI! Only about $4999 ;)

Even cheaper, argon. Multilines or tunable will do 496 and 501.7 in <5mW output for a twentieth the cost of that unit.

Supply and demand. There is very little demand from a credible source (non-hobbyist). This means that in order to get one, you need to pay a lot of money for the company to reroute their production, and probably stop their mass production lines, just to coat a handful of mirrors, and then cherry pick the right ones.

This is a very complicated SHG wavelength. This isn't something you will get from your regular production mirror.

So they make yellows, greens, and blues all day long. All of a sudden an order comes in needing coatings for 946 and 1064 for an SHG process, and you need resonance of 500.77. Well now what?!

They must stop the presses, change out the coatings and equipment, do a few runs, and sift through for the perfect mirrors since this is a VERY low gain, and voila! You have your 500.77nm labby, for $8k (or $5k from CNI).

All about supply and demand :)

EDIT: Yeah, what he said! ^

Last edited:
I'm almost sure you can get an engineering sample/test diode for a lesser price and more power. Though DPSS has its perks over diodes.

2mW is pretty much the absolute max you can get out of this from a *standard* DPSS procedure. 946nm + 1064nm SFG (similar process to 589/593.5). The coatings to allow both of those wavelengths to pass/reflect must be astronomically difficult to make... not to mention still inefficient. I think that peaks at 500.8nm.

Granted, labs can up the power a bit by two methods... both involve combining beams.

Only trouble is, if they find out your lab is government funded, they will ping you with a doubled price because they know the government is footing the bill.

Companies do it to NASA all the time.... :(

No need to go that specific, bloom :p

DPSS lasers don't really need any sig figs past .1nm. Wavelength bell curve and temperature can and will affect precision ;)

Also, mine was easier to understand :na:

--

That aside, something makes me think I saw one of these used on feebay a while back for $3999? That'll take some serious digging to verify.

No need to go that specific, bloom :p

DPSS lasers don't really need any sig figs past .1nm. Wavelength bell curve and temperature can and will affect precision ;)

Also, mine was easier to understand :na:

--

That aside, something makes me think I saw one of these used on feebay a while back for $3999? That'll take some serious digging to verify.

I'm so used to dragging out gas wavelengths, it's become more of a habit than anything.

Also, CNI sold 1mW units for $3999 and 2mW for $4999. Or perhaps it was $1k more per figure.

Either way, it was beyond hobbyist values.

There was a tunable Ar on ebay for about $250-300 about 2-3 weeks ago. Much cheaper, and you can select from 2 near 500nm lines. For a twentieth the price of one.

I'm no car salesman, but you got yourself a deal there sunny!

Last edited:
I have here up for sale this laser. It's guaranteed .001mW, priced at only $999,999,999. Free shipping. Huh, look at that, a new record.

1mw_5mw_10mw_20mw_30mw_50mw_80mw.jpg