Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The XBOX 360 HD-DVD high power laser thread

drlava

Ok, so recent developments seen in a 360 HD-DVD construction thread concerning a 'new' higher power laser diode have led me to create this thread so we can more easily discuss the results. Here is the info so far for the 'new' diode:

From climback:
I(mA) P(mW)
45 10
50 19
60 33
70 51
80 67
90 80
100 99
110 115

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

From TheMonk, photo of the sled label with the higher power diode:
DSC00604.JPG

DSC00602.JPG

the psxboy link:
http://www.psxboy.com/804_XBOX360-PHR-803T-Laser-Lens.html

Photo of the 2 sleds side by side. High power sled on right:
xbox_sled_1.jpg

xbox_sled_2.jpg

Now, it has been speculated that the high power diodes are in the 'newer' drives as Microsoft ditches them, I went out and picked up three drives from a local closeout and opened them up and the pickups all matched the left type in the above photo.
serials:

inside, the driver had makings
toshiba, model sd-s802a, version 100, rom MC08, manufactured sept. 2006 DB

So I looked around for the sled model and found this:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/204467969/HD_DVD_Lens_DT0811.html
"This is HD-DVD lens for xbox360. size;DT0811 ,This new lens model, can each other substitute old PHR-803T lens"

SO, it's a distinct possibility that the high power lasers are actually in old pickups..? Anyone who has disassembled a hd-dvd drive from an xbox, please note the serial, date of manufacture on the driver cover, style of pickup (DT0811 or PHR-803T) and whether or not the 405nm diode has the square code etched in the back (higher power laser).

let's get this solved so we can have a nice supply of diodes for a bit! sure beats taking part $300 burners!

edit: I ordered some of the phr-803t sleds from psxboy and they came as expected. The diodes don't compare to the ggw-h20l diodes, but they could probably produce at least 60mW reliably.

diode_blu_roundup.PNG

IgorT

So PSX-BOY sells the older version? I wonder how long that will last...

I'll be ordering three of the PSX-BOY sleds this week. Hope i get the good ones. I usualy get things from China quite fast. Can't wait to measure them. Should be interesting in any case..

EDIT: I looked at the AliBaba link.. I see what you mean. I just hope PSX-BOY doesn't change the model to the newer one eventually as well.

daguin

IgorT said:
So PSX-BOY sells the older version? I wonder how long that will last...

I'll be ordering three of the PSX-BOY sleds this week. Hope i get the good ones. I usualy get things from China quite fast. Can't wait to measure them.

EDIT: I looked at the AliBaba link.. I see what you mean. I just hope PSX-BOY doesn't change the model to the newer one eventually as well.

I have two clearing customs now.

drlava, have you checked out this thread? http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1209862606

Peace,
dave

daguin

IgorT said:
[quote author=daguin link=1209940381/0#2 date=1209942087]I have two clearing customs now.

Great! You have a power meter, right?

BTW, Did you use EMS shipping?[/quote]

Kenom's got my meter right now. I *may* have another here by this Friday (according to UPS)

I did use EMS.

Peace,
dave

drlava

daguin, I did see that thread, but at the $800 price it just seems like another reseller that won't end up being a deal for us.
Those who have disassembled these drives and found the higher power diode in them, please post the markings on the internal drive and beginning serial of the xbox! thanks.

I'm kind of confused by this. Its possible to get 100mw bluray diodes with the old sleds? 40$ seems to good to be true

drlava

Maybe not 100mW, but many are reporting better than PS3 405nm diodes in certain sleds.

I'm hoping that climbac ( or anyone else with the higher-powered diodes) will be able to report the serial numbers of their drives. It would be great to be able to get these diodes for only a $50 'harvest' fee instead of a $300 fee......

Thanks to drlava for pulling this together in one place!

pwnstar said:
I'm kind of confused by this. Its possible to get 100mw bluray diodes with the old sleds? 40$ seems to good to be true

Apparently, yes. I've disassembled three xbox drives thus far; two have had low powered diodes, equivalent, roughly, to a PS3 diode, the third had a different, much more powerful diode.

The first two low powered diodes started lasing < 20mA, the high powered diode did not start to lase until 40-50 mA. I took it up to 85mA, about as far my pot + nine volt battery can go. It was well over 50mW I'd guess.

Here's a pic of the two - left is low power, 35mA (10-20 mW??), right is running at 85mA (50++ mW).
(look in other xbox thread)

xbox_bluray_comparison.jpg

Unfortunately the wire going from the cap to the diode came loose, and reattached, killing the diode. AAUUUUGGHH!!!!!!!

So I'm going to order one of those $40.00 sleds from psxboy, cuz they look the same as the sled I got the high powered xbox diode from.

Even if these are 'only' good for 50mW, for only $40.00 you'll find no cheaper violet currently.

drlava,
There doesn't appear to be a serial # on the box. The internal drive cover is Toshiba - "HD DVD ROM DRIVE, MODEL NO.SD-S802A". Dated December 2006, Serial #6ZWE109072.

drlava

Flogged, can you take a photo of the toshiba DVD cover? there is some other information what I'm interested in. Also, can you verify that the low power diodes came from the pickup pictured on the left: the DT081?

iewed

The next time someone harvest one of the good diodes, could you film yourself along the way? Explaining how to not mess up your diode and stuff.
Thanks

drlava said:
Flogged, can you take a photo of the toshiba DVD cover? there is some other information what I'm interested in. Also, can you verify that the low power diodes came from the pickup pictured on the left: the DT081?

Well, this is the cover from the latest xbox hd drive I got the high powered diode from.

xbox_internal.jpg

Yes the DT081 matches the sled I got the lower power diodes from, and the $40.00 psx sled matches the sled I got the higher powered diode from (as per my pic).

drlava

Interesting, flogged.

So, to compare:
High power:
Dec 2006
V 000
Rom MC08
Parts # X810225

One of my low power:
Sept. 2006
V 100
Rom MC08
Parts # X810268

So the low power one had an earlier 'manu date' but a later version number.