Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

The XBOX 360 HD-DVD high power laser thread

My measurements with a DIY Coherent thermopile meter are exactly in line with Dr_Lava's graph if i measure without a lens, like he did. (His PHR-803T graph is without optics).

I get 80mW without optics at 90mA and 69mW with a clear acrylic lens. All my lenses have the back pulled out.

All diodes are a little different, but if you measured with a lens, i highly doubt you could even get close to 109mW. Calculate a new conversion factor from 90mA = 80mW (no optics) as it would seem to be true for these diodes. I tried on three so far and they seem to be consistent - definitely WAY more than PS3 diodes. :)

jayrob said:
This is my first experience with the 803-T diode. I just noticed that according to Lava's graph,
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210649211
These diodes are HOTTER than the 6 X ... at the 90mA to 100mA range that I have done my builds at! ;)
Sure wish we knew about these diodes before I bought the 6 X drives...
Jay

It is my theory that these may in fact be the same diode. I've taken open can pictures of both and they are identical on the inside. But at the same time, one must note that no one has driven the 6x diode far enough to even reach the 'knee' in the graph, indicating a 'leveling' of the mA:mW ratio. This is probably because they are so expensive that no one wants to try. I believe we may actually still have quite a bit of power left in the 6x diodes, just mostly people dont like to go over 120mA. I have my x-box diode (open can) at around 105mA. For a test, I put it up to 120mA, as well as my new 6x diode up to 120mA, and the 6x feels a bit more powerful. But, I don't have a power meter to support my claims.

Several of us are having the same theory i see. :)

I was talking to Phenol a while ago and he also thought the same thing. Well, actually at that point we thought it was a 4x BR writer.. The 6x BR writer graph is more to the right, so....

To know more, we would need a V/I/P graph, to show the electrical characteristics as well. My diodes at 90mA measure at 5.11 - 5.14V. Have't measured the voltages at other currents yet.

IgorT said:
My measurements with a DIY Coherent thermopile meter are exactly in line with Dr_Lava's graph if i measure without a lens, like he did. (His graph is without optics).

I get 80mW without optics at 90mA and 69mW with a clear acrylic lens. All my lenses have the back pulled out.

All diodes are a little different, but if you measured with a lens, i highly doubt you could even get close to 109mW. Calculate a new conversion factor from 90mA = 80mW (no optics) as it would seem to be true for these diodes. I tried on three so far and they seem to be consistent - definitely WAY more than PS3 diodes. :)

Multiplying by 2.0 for the conversion would put me at 82mW's. But there is something to clarify...

Lava's graph (according to him) was done with an AixiZ acrylic lens. (plastic cut away) See his comments in the 1st post of this thread:

All in all, I am very happy with a $40 dollar diode that is HOTTER @ 90mA's, than my $300 dollar diode is @ 100mAs! 8-)
Jay

P.S. According to the graph, the 803-T is different than the 6 X diode. Plus, my readings with the 803-T @ 90mA's is higher than my 6 X @ 100mA's....just like Lava's graph.

jayrob said:
Lava's graph (according to him) was done with an AixiZ acrylic lens. (plastic cut away) See his comments in the 1st post of this thread:

Hmm, that is interesting. I don't know why i thought it was without a lens. Maybe i was looking at a different graph?

Oh, i know, i was comparing climbaks measurements to Dr_Lava's graph, and Climbak said it was 80mW without a lens at 90mA.. And Dr_Lava later said the same.

It's somewhere in the pages of this thread here. Need to check it out again and do some more measurements.

BTW, yes i agree about these diodes! I was considering buying a 6xBR writer just a few weeks ago. And now this. :)

Look at page 1 of this thread.

Lava posted Climbak's readings, that WERE done without optics:
From climback:

I(mA) P(mW)
45 10
50 19
60 33
70 51
80 67
90 80
100 99
110 115

And since they agreed with Dr_Lava's graph (at least at 90mA), i assumed he did his without optics as well, i guess... Maybe the diodes really are inconsistent. I'm just happy i ordered backup.

Looking at Lava's graph, 90mA's (acrylic lens, plastic cut away) should put you around 80mW's or more.

Agreed! These diodes can't be beat at that price!
Jay

P.S. Could it be possible your meter is off for that wavelength? And your builds are really HOTTER than you think?!!! ;)

jayrob said:
P.S. Could it be possible your meter is off for that wavelength? And your builds are really HOTTER than you think?!!! ;)

Well, that would be nice, now wouldn't it? My 70mW prototype blue ray can actually light a cigarette (very slowly)!

On the other hand, it would be bad if my meter was off for this wavelength. But. The first time Miloš realized his LaserCheck is off for 405nm (showing lower) was, when his build was measured on a Coherent thermopile meter, using the same sensor as mine.

I will know more, when i test the entire batch of diodes. I mean, if they all show the same, then my meter is off, and they are really 80mW or more.
If most of them turn out to be better than the prototype, i will just use those for my builds, and keep the lower powered diodes.

If it should turn out, that my meter is off, the average power of all the diodes could help me calculate a conversion factor. But i kinda doubt, this is the case. The coating should be spectrally flat, and my meter has been shown to measure exactly the same power for greens as a Coherent FieldMaster, so..

I guess i'll know more, when i finish the current work, and can finally start on the lasers. I will definitely post my findings.

BTW, can someone tell me, what shape of the beam the PHR 803T diodes put out?

Is it nice and oval like reds, or is it "flat"? My prototype has a kinda flat beam. Thanks god i ordered many backup diodes, so i can select the best ones for my builds!

I just made a quick comparison between a clear and a 650nm AR coated lens, both acrylic, opened up from behind.
Here are my results:

- Diode, no optics 80mW
- Clear acrylic lens 69mW
- 650nm AR lens 40mW

650nm AR coating actually halves the output of a diode, just like reported by Climbak.

I really hope no one is using AR coated lenses, unless they are $100 405nm AR coated lenses from Thorlabs..

The glass AR coated AixiZ lens would seem to take less power away, but i can't find mine right now, to do that measurement as well. When i do, i will add that measurement.

jayrob said:
All in all, I am very happy with a $40 dollar diode that is HOTTER @ 90mA's, than my $300 dollar diode is @ 100mAs! 8-)
Jay

P.S. According to the graph, the 803-T is different than the 6 X diode. Plus, my readings with the 803-T @ 90mA's is higher than my 6 X @ 100mA's....just like Lava's graph.

This kind of reinforces the idea that these 6x diodes can be operated at higher currents than we have been using. Since the curve is indeed in front of the 803T on the graph, it would make sense that the 6x diode isn't putting out quite as much power at a relatively similar current level.

This stuff gets more interesting by the day!! I really wish I had a power meter right now... I have both the diodes sitting right here lasing away... the 6x at 123mA and the 803T at 105mA

This stuff gets more interesting by the day!! I really wish I had a power meter right now... I have both the diodes sitting right here lasing away... the 6x at 123mA and the 803T at 105mA
GG, what are the voltages on either of them at those currents?

My drive from geeks.com came in last night and I got it running @ 100mA. I am getting ~67mW through my acrylic lenses. I need to measure the output w/o a lens and report back. ;)

Phenol, i don't know if i mentioned it on this thread or another one, but my PHR-803 requires 5.14V for 89.5mA to flow through it. This voltage then slowly drops to 5.11V as it warms up (hardly noticable luke warm).

Back