Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The UltraFire 90mW topic

Mine came a week ago and I took it out from the post office a couple of hours ago! And it's CRAP! It puts out less than 5-10mw (I also got the true 30mw pen). It goes on quite strong and drops within a second - not even close to the advertised power. Mine is also missing any markers on the box or the laser itself which power rating it has - so I guess the manfacturer pulled a SHORT one on DX and sent what they had - that is a low power green laser. Im really pissed of right now...

I also read someone else on DX got the same crappy laser. What can I say - stay away from it like the plague!

Update:

My laser broke totally after 1-2min of use - no better with a different battery either. I took it apart and to my suprise i've been f..ed. The laserhead was marked by the manfacturer (SXD) with 30mw!!! And it's not even putting out anything near that while it was working. I have opened a ticket with DX and i'll hope they resolve this for all of us!

You can get the same laser in different packaging from KD for $17 (the 50mw CR2 laser variant).

mullerhawk said:
Update:

My laser broke totally after 1-2min of use - no better with a different battery either. I took it apart and to my suprise i've been f..ed. The laserhead was marked by the manfacturer (SXD) with 30mw!!! And it's not even putting out anything near that while it was working. I have opened a ticket with DX and i'll hope they resolve this for all of us!

You can get the same laser in different packaging from KD for $17 (the 50mw CR2 laser variant).
yes..and here's the evergrowing topic of complaints:
http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Forums.dx/Forum.0~threadid.44197

i just really hope mine wont be crappy, but it sure seems like it will be the way things are going.

Ultrafire 90mW 501b laser is now showing back in stock at DX.

However, I received mine yesterday and its output it pitiful. It briefly (< 1 second) shows a beautiful bright glow then dims to around the same as my Kai 30mW pointer. It very slowly climbs to just above this brightness and settles there.

It certainly does not appear to be close to 90mW, that's for sure. Also, there are no markings on the head of the laser or the packaging to indicate the power, so I reckon that I've been stuffed.

Plus, the glass on the front of the laser appears not to be coated in any way and basic tests reveal that it reflects a significant amount of light back into the diode. Is it possible that this could be a contributing factor to the lack of longevity of these pointers?

Lorgar

thekanester said:
Ultrafire 90mW 501b laser is now showing back in stock at DX.

However, I received mine yesterday and its output it pitiful. It briefly (< 1 second) shows a beautiful bright glow then dims to around the same as my Kai 30mW pointer. It very slowly climbs to just above this brightness and settles there.

It certainly does not appear to be close to 90mW, that's for sure. Also, there are no markings on the head of the laser or the packaging to indicate the power, so I reckon that I've been stuffed.

Plus, the glass on the front of the laser appears not to be coated in any way and basic tests reveal that it reflects a significant amount of light back into the diode. Is it possible that this could be a contributing factor to the lack of longevity of these pointers?

I saw a post on DX from a guy who took his apart the laser module was marked 30mW.
There were no power markings on the box either.
Looks like the manufacturer puled a fast one on DX and sent out the 30mW version to meet supply problems.

i'm glad i canceled my order just before the started shipping these POS units.

So after I canceled my order, I got a message from DX saying that the laser was now in stock, and they put an outstanding fee on the paypal account...wtf? Appearently they don't know what it means to CANCEL an order lol.

JamMasterClay said:
i'm glad i canceled my order just before the started shipping these POS units.

So after I canceled my order, I got a message from DX saying that the laser was now in stock, and they put an outstanding fee on the paypal account...wtf? Appearently they don't know what it means to CANCEL an order lol.
the only weird thing before was that we got emails saying the laser was shippsed, but when we checked it still said out of stock. now that most of us had recieved the faulty lasers (but i havnt recieved mine yet), there are lasers in stock. so are these new ones in stock good ones?

mikeeey said:
the only weird thing before was that we got emails saying the laser was shippsed, but when we checked it still said out of stock. now that most of us had recieved the faulty lasers (but i havnt recieved mine yet), there are lasers in stock. so are these new ones in stock good ones?

So you finally got your package but no laser inside after all? That sux...

knimrod said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1194775080/120#134 date=1199821132]the only weird thing before was that we got emails saying the laser was shippsed, but when we checked it still said out of stock. now that most of us had recieved the faulty lasers (but i havnt recieved mine yet), there are lasers in stock. so are these new ones in stock good ones?

So you finally got your package but no laser inside after all?  That sux...

[/quote]
no no thats not what i ment. i was saying 2 things.

1 was that people are recieving their faulty lasers, but i have no recieved mine yet. ill probably get it today or tomorrow.

2 was that when we were recieving our faulty lasers, DX still said they werent in stock, (but they were still comming to us?) and now that we have recieved our faulty lasers, the good lasers are probably in stock.

i guess thats kinda confusing what im trying to say, but did that make any more sense?

Ahhh... I saw your post on the DX forums too and put it together wrong I guess.... Oh well. I hope it works out for you.. Your review after you finally get it will probably determine whether or not I reorder.

knimrod said:
Ahhh... I saw your post on the DX forums too and put it together wrong I guess....  Oh well.  I hope it works out for you..  Your review after you finally get it will probably determine whether or not I reorder.
from what that 1 review on DX says, it sounds like a really really good laser, as long as it's a fully working one. i have a feeling the stock they have now are working good lasers.

That was me writing that on DX. To actually see what the laserhead is marked with you have to take the whole construction appart. Open the back, screw of the head and push the aluminium piece out from the inside. Or force it out with a big pliar. On the brass body of the laser unit it was marked SXD and a hand written part that said 30mW. It would be interesting if someone else took out the unit and identified WHAT we actually got.. DX said on my ticket that this was a "one time occurence". But i'll guess thats a load of BS.

Lorgar said:
[quote author=thekanester link=1194775080/120#131 date=1199792198]Ultrafire 90mW 501b laser is now showing back in stock at DX.

I saw a post on DX from a guy who took his apart the laser module was marked 30mW.
There were no power markings on the box either.
Looks like the manufacturer puled a fast one on DX and sent out the 30mW version to meet supply problems.
[/quote]

dar303

I got mine today and it works very well and is much more powerful than my dx30.
The package has a handwritten sticker that says "80mW" but I dont believe that, more like 60 or so.
I'll try to measure it soon.

dar303 said:
I got mine today and it works very well and is much more powerful than my dx30.
The package has a handwritten sticker that says "80mW" but I dont believe that, more like 60 or so.
alright! a good one finally!
were you one of the originals from the start of this thread? waiting long like all of use? or when did u order it?

I will crosspost this just so no one misses this (sorry for that!). This is how mine was looking on the inside - to get the laser head out you will first have to remove the lens -> remove the black top that is screwd on to the laserhead (the top part - use a wrench) -> Screw of the head of the flashlight itself - > use a wrench and grab it around the silver aluminium part and twist. It's just forced in to the battery tube and is stuck there quite hard, so you'll need to jiggel it abit:

As you can see - it's only 30mW and missing the warning label how many mW it is (should be on the outside - it's on my friends two other 30mW flashlight model lasers from DX). So this is clearly a fraud of some kind. Question is if it is DX doing this deliberly or if ís is the supplier!?

laser.jpg

dar303

mikeeey said:
[quote author=dar303 link=1194775080/135#140 date=1200094330]I got mine today and it works very well and is much more powerful than my dx30.
alright! a good one finally!
were you one of the originals from the start of this thread? waiting long like all of use? or when did u order it?[/quote]

I ordered my stuff the 12th of december. I also have a 100mw red module on the way, it will be interesting to see the quality of that one!