Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The UltraFire 90mW topic

Rhith

Re: must know by wednesday! which 2 lasers!

Don't forget though, you can get rechargeable CR123's to use with the 90mW. ;)

Get the 90mW! It's waterproof! I have the WF-502B 3W Cree LED light, and the build quality is outstanding!

well i dont wanna buy rechargable batteries and the charger, so..i guess il just go with the 80mW. too bad the 90mW couldnt come with a charger. I just hope the 80mW is built strong.

Gazoo

If it was me I would go with the 90mw one and get good brand name batteries for it. I am sure it will run a good long time on a CR123. The only reason I would not go for the rechargeable one is because I don't know the quality of the battery used in it. Whenever using lithiums...I like to know what I am dealing with especially when it comes to li-ion batteries or any other battery chemistry.

well, i think you have convinced me to get the 90mW, il just buy a rechargable battery and a cheap charger. thanks. i just hope it's worth it! any certain battery + charger you recomend (preferably from dealextreme)?

shikari_rock said:
Get the 90mW! It's waterproof! I have the WF-502B 3W Cree LED light, and the build quality is outstanding!

get the 90mW

BTW i know this has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever, but I like your banned permabanned thing shikari ;D

Gazoo

mikeeey said:
well, i think you have convinced me to get the 90mW, il just buy a rechargable battery and a cheap charger. thanks. i just hope it's worth it! any certain battery + charger you recomend (preferably from dealextreme)?

The Ultrafire protected cells are OK. There are mixed reports about them as far as consistency (meaning capacity) but at least they should be safe.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3273

As far as a charger I think this would be OK and it gives you the option of charging 18650 li-ion's if you should ever find an application for them.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936

The only thing I am not sure of is if the laser will run without burning out on a rechargeable...if it is well regulated it should not be a problem.

wait what do you mean by that end part there? about burning out the laser? how can i be sure this wont happen?

shikari_rock said:
cool! i can use it in the rain! but im guessing this doesnt mean i can stick it underwater right? lol. that would be nice if it was water PROOF tho.

Gazoo

mikeeey said:
wait what do you mean by that end part there? about burning out the laser? how can i be sure this wont happen?

There is no way to know, but you could ask if DX knows, or use regular CR123's until someone else tries it. Like I said it should run a long time before you need to change batteries. Either way I still have a feeling the 90mw is a better choice even though I don't have any experience with either one..call it a gut feeling..intuition...or whatever. I hope I am right :)

Gazoo said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1194775080/0#8 date=1195016986]wait what do you mean by that end part there? about burning out the laser? how can i be sure this wont happen?

There is no way to know, but you could ask if DX knows, or use regular CR123's until someone else tries it. Like I said it should run a long time before you need to change batteries. Either way I still have a feeling the 90mw is a better choice even though I don't have any experience with either one..call it a gut feeling..intuition...or whatever. I hope I am right :)[/quote]
cool, il ask them right now and hopefully get a soon responce.
have you had bad experiances with batteries and your laser burning out in the past? what makes you say it may or may not happen?

Gazoo

No I haven't, but I have a Nova X105 and I know I would probably fry it if I used AAA li-ion batteries.

The point is a regular CR123 puts out 3 volts. A fully charged RCR123 will put out 4.2 volts and rapidly level off to 3.6 volts. From 3.6 volts it will go slowly down to 3 volts. It is recommended to charge when it reaches 3 volts. But as you can see there is quite a bit more voltage coming from a li-ion as opposed to a regular lithium...so you need to find out for sure before you try using RCR123's.

I would hate for you to get this and then burn it out...so let's wait and see what DX says or let someone else try it with a li-ion battery.. ;)

Hey Mikeeey,
I've been waiting 2 weeks for that 90(80mW)mW but I suggest you get the 100W (ya that's how it's listed) labby type laser.(I just canceled that sku9311).
Those 2 mentioned lasers are a unknown quality, I have read nothing from owners.
DX lasers have history of terrible current regulation.
Those 2 lasers don't say Newwish.
I found Newwish to be quality, good.

For $24 (plus $12ish for power) more you will get guarenteed a Newwish and what looks to be a pro. driver circuit, great heat sinking and 20mW more power!
Also, buy two pairs of CR123 Lith rechargeables and a $8 recharger while your at it. and slap it all in a plastic enclosure.
This DX 100mW labby is brand spanking new and I'm going to be a guennie pig on this 100mW because it looks too good to pass up.

My DX true 100mW pointer died in 1 hour and I got screwed because it was a clone Newwish. $100 a hour beam I got. Crystal crib death.

Anyway if buy(sku10096) I promise to help you power it up on batterys or someone else here sure will.
The more peeps that order these the sooner DX will shipem out.
If you don't want to solderthis up I be be happy to send you a nice enclosure to power it up.
(for $20-30 shipped USA)
You could also just take a wall wart, strip , twist & tape wire to the driver for instant beam satisfaction.

Anyone disagree with me or have suggestions?

Cheers,
DGM

Gazoo

Maybe I should wish up mikeey a 100mw laser complete with a Jetson mobile... ;D

Eenie meanie minyi mo, to what laser will my money blow? ;D ;D

Gazoo I think your saying to go with the 90 80 deal.

MMMMMM