Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"The Predator" 3x Single Mode 637nm

Fiddy

G'day,

Been meaning to build this puppy for a while.

I wanted to make a laser like the one seen in the predator movie.

predator-laser-sight.png

So i found a host that could accept a heatsink big enough for 3x aixiz modules, i chose the TK-35 Fenix copy.

Fenix-TK35-LED-Flashlight.jpg

Now what diodes should i use?

I would of liked a LPC-826 or similar 660nm diodes but running 3 of them would cause trouble as they are case negative.

I ended up choosing the Mitsubishi ML520G54 110mW, simply because they are case isolated.
I saw rhd did some testing and killed one at 400mA, so i opted for a safer current at 250mA.

Now how was i going to run 3 diodes at once?

I looked at running 3 separate drivers, it could work, but would cost more than 1 single driver. So i chose a single driver running the diodes in series.

Now the Mitsubishi ML520G54 will run at around 2.7-3V typical.
so i needed a driver that could deliver 250mA @ ~9VDC & the host im using is designed for 2x 18650 in parallel but can run off one with a dummy cell.

The only driver i know capable of such a high boost voltage was the Microboost by Dr.Lava, it can boost to 13VDC, so that is what i chose.
I set by range on the Microboost to 140mA- 280mA.

obviously the Microboost cant output 1A at 13V so there is a formula in the spec sheet that i followed.

(Vout x Iout) ) / Vin < 1.2

So if the power out divided by the voltage in is less than 1.2, the microboost will handle it.

(9V x 0.250A) / 4.2V = 0.53

0.53 < 1.2 = Win!

The maximum current at 9V i could have is

4.2 / 9V = 466mA.

I had bobhaha make a heatsink for me, thanks man!

So now from design to reality.

Here's the plan.

3xsinglemodecopy.png

The Build.

First i set the driver range and current, 250mA and thermally glued it to the pill.

predator5.jpg

Then i pressed the 3x diodes into copper modules with some thermal paste and joined them together.

predator6.jpg

Attached the driver to the diodes.

predator3.jpg

Installed into the host.

predator2.jpg

I soldered at wire across one of the battery slots as my dummy cell :D

Now it is completed.

predator8.jpg

predator7.jpg

predator9.jpg

LPM for each diode

predatordiode1.png

predatordiode2.png

predatordiode3.png

Each diode is within 5mW of each other which is good enough.

As you will see below, the beams aren't parallel with each other and require some alignment that i have yet to accomplish.

predator10.jpg

predator11.jpg

predator12.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Fiddy.

Last edited:

Blord

Cool idea. I like the predator aiming laser.
You should align the diodes to make a nice triangle. :)

Fiddy

im working on it, its a pain with only 1 grub screw and some aluminium foil as shims.

might have to put some more grub screws in to help center the modules.

AUS

Wow cool. I have often thought about that too, the preditor laser. Great implementation Mitch!

You could use a reamer to open the holes up a bit and use some thicker shims to help centre them, or maybe a grum screw front and back and"see saw" them against a thin shim in the middle?

Very sweet... I wanna say the last time this was discussed that direct press was the way to go, not that there is anything wrong with modules, except, I think the purpose of the direct press was to avoid the set screws and such.

Cool idea! :gj: Now you just need to think of an imaginative way to attach it to your forehead! lol ;) :beer: +1

Edit: Sorry must spread some first...

Last edited:

ped

Superb...when I saw the tread title I thought....alignment is going to be a PITA...and sure enough.. if you get this bang on, you have a winner on your hands.

Well done. +2

Last edited:

ENX

Great job! Looks like a lot of work and thought went into this project.
You have the best toys!!!

If three rays can be arrayed in the same line it will be the coolest thing I have even seen. Still a amazing job.

For alignment, I suggest you check your lenses and focus them to where you want and leave them. I have realized that when I focus my olike 532nm power rock, the dot moves up and down slightly because the module is just a hair off center. It's not noticeable when you hold it and focus it, but tripods easily show the misalignment. With 3 diodes, if you change their focuses, the beams may cross or appear to split apart at further distances.

Very nice putting the diodes in series, helpful info for my future builds :beer:

Last edited:

Blord

Man I really want those :)

I think I got a method to align the modules. Drill the holes slightly bigger with ample room to move around. Use the thermal epoxy that is already thicker. Just wait for the paste to dry a little out.
The module can freely move a little until you have the right angle and direction. And it won't move after you left it by the thick paste.
Wait for the first glue to hardened out and repeat the process it for the next module.

That should give the laser a perfect alignment. :wave:

Milos

Nice host choice for the job. Great work.
With some adjustment of beam angles, you will have the triangle.
I really like the idea!

cheers