Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The let out your aggression thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate North Dakota...and especially Fargo.

Filled with hicks, ignorant (not to mention closed-minded) conservatives, and self important college students. If you voice support for Obama, prepare for thinly veiled racisim. Say you didn't care for Bush or didn't vote for him and watch as their demeanor frosts over. Comment that you don't support the Iraq War and automatically you are an evil person who hates the troops and supports terrorism (I'm not kidding here. Dead serious)

Voice the fact that you don't believe in the "invisible sky wizard" and you might as well have leprosy. Express interest in technology and forget about any companionship of the opposite sex because this is a home of serious NASCAR, Viking or Greenbay Packer, Rodeo, and Drag Racing fans. This area is lacking in anything really civilized, like culture and the couple art gallaries we have mainly show pictures or paintings of broken down buildings, country dirt roads, or windmills missing a few veins. People here almost seem proud of their hick side and technological ignorance. Almost forgot that you are expected to be married by 23-25 and start a family by 26-27. If you are not married by 28, then forget about marriage all together. The prefered vehicle is either a truck or suv. If a truck, glass packs are almost mandatory. Also, motorcycles with the loudest exaust package available is highly sought after.

For entertainment once in a great while you will be able to catch a concert with real bands at the local Dome but expect to shell out an average $50-$70 per general admission ticket and they book a good band/performer MAYBE once a year. Green Day was $65 a ticket. Eric Clapton was $150 a ticket. AC/DC was $90 a ticket. Snoop Dogg was $70 a ticket. Manson was $68 a ticket. The rest of the time you have country artists or the local college sports teams playing in the Dome and those tickets are cheap as hell. $10 for college games. $20 for Reba, $25 for Martina McBride...and so on.

A good time in the summer is going to the dirty lakes of Minnesota where you either go fishing for fish that are so contaminated the Department of Natural Resources warn people about only eating X amount of fish because of the risk to your health or you sit on the beach and drink. At night it is bondfires and more drinking. Oh, why yes...drunk driving is a very large problem around here...why do you ask? If you don't go to the lakes, then the only other real option is heading to a bar to drink and watch bands that are barely better than something you would see at a highschool talent show.

The big gathering in the summer is a 3-Day Woodstock-like event called "We-Fest". Oh, forgot to mention that it is all country artists so don't expect anything but rednecks and ignorant hicks there. From two weeks prior up until the end of the event it is the talk of the town. If you happen to be caught in a conversation, take my advice and just lie and say you have tickets otherwise you will get caught in a long conversation on the pros of country music over all other music. If you are LUCKY, they will just say "Oh" and walk away, pretty much ignoring you from that point forward.

Fall fun is hunting or restoring old cars. If you don't hunt deer or upland game (birds) then "what the hell is wrong with you" they will ask. If you have no interest in restoring a car...well, that's just not American!

Winter fun is snowmobiling and, you guessed it, drinking. Prepare for 7 months out of the year spent in weather below 40 degree F (at least 5 of them are all below freezing. You have two months for summer, two months for fall and one for spring). A fun activity is taking boiling water outside on an average day and tossing it into the air, watching it turn into a vapor cloud. People around here get a kick out of it for some reason.

I'd move but the fact is, I'm sure any other place I would move to would have its own issues like commute time, crime, outragous cost of living, or stupid laws.

Last edited:

^Sounds like Fargo is the stereotypical reason why all other civilized countries see Americans as a bunch of narrow-minded self-indulgent hicks. I'm proud to be an American, and it's very unfortunate that this is seen as the "American Way" now.

I'm from St. Louis, and the minute you leave the county limits culture and sophistication are replaced by rednecks, prideful ignorance, country music and big, pointless trucks. (There isn't a hill bigger than a mound or any real wilderness to be found ANYWHERE near here, but yet so many people in the suburbs feel the need to drive these huge monstrous off-road trucks and SUVs that could move a cruise ship if you needed them to.)

God forbid we should get an education, or have any kind of cultured tastes. Doing so makes you the idiot in the eyes of these hicks. It's much preferred that you remain as dumb as possible, and actively seek out the most retarded ways to spend your time.

It's like they live by the moniker: "Be a good American and be proud to be a dumbass". (I know, I lost all of them when I used the word "moniker". They probably think I made it up..)

I other words I feel your pain, bschott. If you want my advice, in order to find other educated, cultured folks with which to spend your time, stay as close as possible to a major metropolitan area (just watch out for the bad neighborhoods)..

bschott...I am very sorry to hear about that. It sounds miserable. You should consider moving to New England, it's a lot more open minded in many places up there. The Boston area is great. Sure, the cost of living is higher and the people can be arrogant, but I think it sounds infinitely better than what you are going through.

-Mark

I like where I live (Montreal, yes, that's in Canada!), I'm only a few kilometer from downtown, but I'm still on the island (the city is a little like New York), I'm close to all service available, and only a walk away from banks, schools, bakeries, and alot of ither stuff.

It sux to live in a place like you do, and worst even because you have the FDA :(

But isn't that better for me, here, where I live, people are snob because it's an expensive place to live, but at least we have big backyards. Still I hate that because of the economic downfall our dollar is only worth .85US.
And also not to mention my mom who hates lasers, she always gets in my way when I want to try to buy one.

You hate your place because you don't like the living style? Then be happy to be different, but careful, don't be snob.

Wait...who or what is the "invisible sky wizard"?

Well I need to apologize to anyone who will take offense to this comment. It is just my way of referring to Jesus/Christian God. You can't see him (invisible), he lives in heaven (the sky), and he performs miracles (like a wizard's magic)...so he's an invisible sky wizard.

karbon

i hate waiting! i ordered lasers ages ago, im dying from anticipation!

I like where I live (Montreal, yes, that's in Canada!), I'm only a few kilometer from downtown, but I'm still on the island (the city is a little like New York), I'm close to all service available, and only a walk away from banks, schools, bakeries, and alot of ither stuff.

It sux to live in a place like you do, and worst even because you have the FDA :(

But isn't that better for me, here, where I live, people are snob because it's an expensive place to live, but at least we have big backyards. Still I hate that because of the economic downfall our dollar is only worth .85US.
And also not to mention my mom who hates lasers, she always gets in my way when I want to try to buy one.

You hate your place because you don't like the living style? Then be happy to be different, but careful, don't be snob.

True, there are many good things about this area. You only need to travel 5 minutes in any direction out of town and you have very nice, clear skies for astronomy. The air is very clean and crisp, and if you like to grow things then this is some of the best soil on earth. For lasers, you can literally find dirt/gravel roads that are flat as a tabletop and go on for miles and miles. You want to do a 10-20 mile laser shot? No problem. Want to see if you can do a horizon shot (30 miles)...again no problem. Lots of open fields and gravel roads to use your lasers on.

If you want to go from the very North end of town to the very south end of town the most it will take you is 10-15 minutes...tops. That is taking city streets not the interstate. You literally can live across town from work, wake up 20-30 minutes before you are supposed to be at work and still get there on time (if you are a guy...add an hour or two if you are female).

The other nice thing is that if you are in trouble and need help, regardless of any ideological differences, people will help you out. Like in April during our major flood when Fargo was in the national news, you saw how the folks around here pulled together to help save the town and homes of people they had never met before. That's just the mindset.

Still doesn't make up for their small mindedness and veiled racism imho, but at least they have some good qualities.

I'd move to a major metro area, like Kansas City or San Francisco in a heartbeat if I could afford it..but with the recession still going strong and jobs being hard to find, I'm best just choking on this town's bitter-sweetness until the economy is back on track and the unemployment rate drops. I do not feel I'm a snob as I'm very friendly and outgoing even when I'm not treated so in return, I just made the post because was fed up with dealing with these people.

Last edited:

As a matter of fact the Canadian dollar is worth $ 0.924624 USD as I type this post....:D

Jerry

bschott...I am very sorry to hear about that. It sounds miserable. You should consider moving to New England, it's a lot more open minded in many places up there. The Boston area is great. Sure, the cost of living is higher and the people can be arrogant, but I think it sounds infinitely better than what you are going through.

-Mark

I'm more of a warm climate person so the west coast is more my speed but I'll keep Boston in mind. Can't be much worse than Fargo.

it mildly bothers me when people refer to the laser diode (LD) as just "diode". I know that by reading the whole post I figure it out but it catches me off guard everytime, then i usually start over. if this is your hobby at least take the time to use correct terminology. sorry for this useless rant

hmmm... I guess I'm mildly bothered when "a lot" is spelled "allot" or "alot"..
Only because I can still hear my 6th grade teacher b#tching about spelling it wrong. I'm 34 now. Lol.

Sorry for spelling it wrong, I didn't know about that, english is my second language, I usualy speak french...

At least I'm learning! ;)

I hate detroit michigan... been in 3 accidents, none were my fault. First one was 1 week after I first got here. got rear ended in my 1994 f-150 by an arabic kid that was texting while driving my tow hitch punctured his radiator and grill and hood, no damage to me.

second accident was 2 weeks later got hit in a parking lot by another car. I don't remember it but I was parked drinking coffee and he slammed into the side of my tow hitch...

3rd one was a t bone left a small dent..other car was totaled mine came out with a little dent I could pop out with a suction cup... guess what? all three were arabic teens on their cell phones...

Attachments

• DSC066303.jpg
    DSC066303.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
As a matter of fact the Canadian dollar is worth $ 0.924624 USD as I type this post....:D

Jerry

... Most of the time order I get ~0.85, but thanks for the info.

If only I had more patience and watched more "canal Argent"...

I could have saved 0.25$!!!

hmmm... I guess I'm mildly bothered when "a lot" is spelled "allot" or "alot"..
Only because I can still hear my 6th grade teacher b#tching about spelling it wrong. I'm 34 now. Lol.

So... ColdStl... How's your French...:whistle::evil:

@Maxkillz... why the double post....
I got it the first time....:crackup:

Jerry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.