Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The I "C" Red Battle Royale LPF Contest

IsaacT

I really like your spirograph idea, but you should make sure of a couple of things:

1. You can focus it down to a very small spot. Due to it being multimode, you will have a wider beam than usual, so getting a good focus to actually burn will be difficult.

2. You will need to makes sure that the motors are slow enough to allow the beam to burn. Might not be an issue, but I know that if I just pass a beam quickly over an area it will not burn the substance. Or atleast not visibly.

I hope your project turns out well!!! Even if it doesn't burn it will still be cool for you to have a 5W 650 spirograph!

I too am making drawings for my proof of concept...if I win though, I am not sure what the prize would be since I already bought the diode. #jumpedthegun

Eh, having such a powerful laser is prize enough. If I win, either give the diode to another great design, send me a little reimbursement for the diode I bought, keep the diode and build yourself one, or donate it(the money) to the forum. I am selling many lasers so I can build this such that I am not making myself broke.

Thank you for the tips. I realize it will be a bit of a challenge but it's worth it :) maybe I'll even win and get to see this design work... Or fail. Either way it'll be cool

Looking forward to seeing your plans cantthinkofone. I suggest reading through the links in the OP for some specifics and limitations on these special diodes ;) They are rated for 5W, but then temperature and current, must be taken into account.

If you win Issac, the diode will be shipped direct to you. You may do with it as you please. You could always make a dually :na:

Actual prize is LPF bragging rights and the adoration of the masses :)

~ LB

Last edited:

IsaacT

Hmm... :D I am sure I can find something to do with such a damn good diode!

jayrob

Cool idea! :cool:

So how do people go about entering their design plans?

Anytime within the 2 month period ending October 1st, you may post your design in detail to this thread. The idea is to encourage people to get excited about building with these new diodes and discuss way to do it.

I was hoping you would enter your build ;) You may announce it officially now and post your design before the end of September :beer:

So far, Issac, Bloom and cantthinkofone have announced their entry. :)

~ LB

I realize temp and current and I plan on counting these factors into my design. I am still thinking of what heatsink I am going to use. I am dedicated to finding just that and drawing it all out. Are colors allowed in schematics ;) JK

Good deal cantthinkofone. You have 2 months ;) Looking forward to some Awesome.

~ LB

Oh joy I found the heat sink AND host I would use if my design wins. Get ready for some diagrams because I'm working on them.

Once the diagrams done I'll post it. The host is a heat sink that comes with everything. A fan, a mount, even a lens. The lens is for ir though so I still need one of those.

jayrob

Anytime within the 2 month period ending October 1st, you may post your design in detail to this thread. The idea is to encourage people to get excited about building with these new diodes and discuss way to do it.

I was hoping you would enter your build ;) You may announce it officially now and post your design before the end of September :beer:

So far, Issac, Bloom and cantthinkofone have announced their entry. :)

~ LB

Ok so here's my design and reasons why, etc...

I want a hand held build with a single cell. Which means you need a good quality, high capacity cell.

And I want to be able to adjust the focus...

I will use a D Mag cut down for a single cell 'stubby' build with a custom head:

I plan on using a linear driver. It will draw the same current as the output current.

I'm going a little conservative at 3 Amps, but should be about 2.6 Watts or so. Won't be too bad I'm thinking...

But I can also change out the driver if I decide to go 3.5 Amps for near 4 Watts. :cool:

Anyway, at 3 Amps, the estimated run time between charges for a 6000mAh 32650 cell, is 2 hours at best. (if the cell is actually 6000mAh's capacity)

For my planned build, I should have plenty of size for the heatsink mounting it into the top of the D Mag host after cutting the switch/bulb stem out of the way.

Then my custom head (mostly for looks), will be for holding the lens. But I'm going to have threads inside the custom head so that I can just screw it onto the Mag host like normal.

So just getting the lens positioned correctly should allow for focusing by turning the custom head. :D

If all goes as planned, it will look just like this: (but not planning on using a voltage monitor because I want more room for a large heatsink)

DMag%20Custom%2012.jpg

I also like having a dust cap for the lens on my lasers, so I plan on boring out an AixiZ nut, and the beam should still have room to go through just fine.

The finished look at the front will be like so: (AixiZ end cap just for fitting the dust cap - focusing will be done by turning the entire head)

DMag%20Custom%2014.jpg

Features and design reasoning:

I'm starting with a 2 mode configuration which will be about 300mW's on one mode, and about 2.6 Watts on high. (per the testing that Angelos showed)

I may change out the driver at a later time to just give 3.5 Amps, which is probably about perfect for a build like this considering battery capacity and diode performance shown in Angelos' testing.

3.5 Amps would be about 3.8 to 4 Watts...

* Large capacity cell
* Focusable
* Size and appearance vs run time capacity

Hope you like it! :beer:

Last edited:
That, will be an Awesome Beast Jayrob! :drool:

I like the dual modes and your custom Heat Sink. Thank You! :D

~ LB

Laik

This competition is heating up! I can't wait to see the final submissions!

You can't beat jayrob and between him and the others the only chance I have is mines a highpowered light show that burns. Spirographs are still cool. I hope to post my diagrams in 2-4 hours. Can't wait to post them I think you guys will like them :)

Last edited: