Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Golden Company: LPF's Compendium of the Rare Yellows, from Chartreuse to Amber.

That Spartan drops quite considerably. What temperature was the laser at and was it mode hopping?

Started around 74*F. I did a bunch of LPM runs. There is a narrow temp range that this laser seems to prefer. I wish this laser had a momentary button due to its power curve. It's output never levels out it's a roller coaster. I will do longer tests with half charged batteries this evening to see if it is the driver cutting current due to heat.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The temperature is fine. It is unusual, I know that my Spartan isn't so temperamental, but it hasn't been lpm'd. These lasers should level out and not continue to drop like yours does. How are the beam specs?

Last edited:
The temperature is fine. It is unusual, I know that my Spartan isn't so temperamental, but it hasn't been lpm'd. These lasers should level out and not continue to drop like yours does. How are the beam specs?

I'm not fluent in beam mode terminology. But I did place a lens on the laser and diverged the beam onto the ceiling. I noticed flickering within the output kind of like when the amperage is adjusted slowly to a say m140. From a normal pointer point of view I do not see any beam splitting. Some of the LPM graphs I have seen of others had a warmup time before ramping up output. Mine seems to be WFO at the start and crash to really low output within the stated duty cycle.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I think you might be unlucky with this one. When I meant beam specs, I was referring to its tranverse mode, divergence etc. If the specs are awful then it may have something to do with the crystal cavity. Although I am doubtful of this. Yellows especially 594's are known for instability, but the 589 Spartans are usually pretty good considering.

Do you see any of these patterns on start up or apon transition? It can be pretty hard to spot TEM 10/01 due to the brightness, but it sometimes occurs within the DL auroras. What you want to see is TEM 00.

tem_modes.png

Last edited:
I think you might be unlucky with this one. When I meant beam specs, I was referring to its tranverse mode, divergence etc. If the specs are awful then it may have something to do with the crystal cavity. Although I am doubtful of this. Yellows especially 594's are known for instability, but the 589 Spartans are usually pretty good considering.

Do you see any of these patterns on start up or apon transition? It can be pretty hard to spot TEM 10/01 due to the brightness, but it sometimes occurs within the DL auroras. What you want to see is TEM 00.

tem_modes.png

I'll do some testing before contacting them.

Sta

Chicxulub, if you're still around, you may want to put down in the OP that I own a 561 now. :D

Radim

Gah! I want mine to hurry up and ship out already! They just have it "queued" so I assume they'll get around to it soon. Hopefully....

Have fun with yours though:D:D

Mine arrived yesterday! I was firstly a bit dissapointed, because I ordered a beam expander with it and I was not able to remove the front cap to mount the expander. After using some methods I decided to put it outside to cool it down for a while - this helped pretty fast. (I love physics.) :) There was a bit of epoxy in thread. Now I can enjoy the Spartan with silencer mounted on. :D Awesome laser - the true jewel of my collection.

So, I understand you cannot wait for it. :D BTW: Good decision to get 589 nm.

Radim

... It can be pretty hard to spot TEM 10/01 due to the brightness, but...

For this I recommend to expand the beam with some lens (I use convex focussing lens with projecting the dot far beyond focus) or use strong laser protection goggles to reduce the brightness - this is how I see mine lasers TEM.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
For this I recommend to expand the beam with some lens (I use convex focussing lens with projecting the dot far beyond focus) or use strong laser protection goggles to reduce the brightness - this is how I see mine lasers TEM.

Yes that would be one way of observing the mode. :beer:

Nice high power 589 you have there Lildutchboy. :)
I have no idea what mine operates at.

I've got 2 yellow HeNe tubes.

Just thought I'd add my name to the pile

Both are relatively low power (below 3mw)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Some nice 594's you have. :)
I did want to get a yellow HeNe, but i'm more looking out for the orange ones.

I guess I'll plant my 574nm yellow here too. Some of these have multiple lines, but that is not a good thing in my view. They likely don't have a nice Gaussian tem00 beam.

Some nice 594's you have. :)
I did want to get a yellow HeNe, but i'm more looking out for the orange ones.

I have one of the strongest 612's out there. I got it from sam a few years ago.

I believe it is over 4 mw. (single line)

bloomplye had a 612 with three lines a while back but I thought it broke.

Yellow is probably cooler looking, but 612 is incredible to see. :)
and hard to find without spending off the chart.

Last edited: