Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Closing of Threads issue....

I got on LPF this morning to find that another Arctic Thread had
been closed...

I do prefer a Thread being closed as compared to a Thread being
deleted to stop my Post count doing the Yo-Yo thing...:whistle:

I read the Re: Wicked Lasers ARCTIC *DISCUSSION*
(news/ valid points only please)
to see what had happened.

IMO... it would have been a good idea for a Mod to have first
stepped in a little earlier to cool the members down with a
WARNING to cease and desist with the fighting/trolling or the
Thread will be closed. Then if the issue was not corrected... close
the Thread... at least there would have been a warning to wake
up the involved parties...

It would also have been a good idea to ban one or two of
the main instigators to show that fighting will not be tolerated
on the Forum instead of closing the Thread... IMO

I know that all the Mods are not always available... but we do
have 3 Mods and an Admin...

I'm not complaining about the Mods... (they are doing a good job)
it is just an observation on this last Thread Closing and my opinion...

Just my
2c.gif

Jerry

Last edited:

Wtf !! they did it again? god dammit.

I lost another 2posts.

They should archive the thread instead of deleting it.

Trevor

I mean, I lost like eighty posts to the deletions... but those threads weren't exactly the pinnacle of laser discussion and I understand why they were deleted, so I'm not really concerned about it. It's a shame that interesting information got deleted, but it was an unfortunate casualty. Perhaps if a dozen or so members each took some of the pages and collected useful information and compiled it into a single resource, that would be better? I'd be willing to sift through twenty or thirty pages Notepad'ing good info.

...but that still leaves the problem of us having a thread dedicated to a single product, as dave has mentioned.

If nothing else, it may be better to un-delete them (I believe that's possible), just for the sake of being able to use search to find information in them. Definitely leave them locked though.

-Trevor

Last edited:

daguin

I got to some temp bans this morning for the fighting

And yes. Vets were among them

The frustration on our end is also a factor in these.

It seems that no matter what we do, drama finds its way back into the Arctic threads

It is a lot like a problematic member.

Even if the member himself is not particularly offensive, if he continually draws drama around himself he needs to go.

By the same token, if the very topic continues to draw drama to it, it is the topic that needs to be banned.

Peace,
dave

Aww you guys care about your post count. Thats cute.

No... It's about closing threads because of fighting/trolling without
first a Warning from a Mod that the Thread will be closed if they don't
stop..

It's also about closing threads because of fighting/trolling when it would
show more to the other members that Fighting/Trolling on the Forum will
not be tolerated by giving a Time-Out to the Fighting/Trolling members...:cool:

Jerry

Last edited:

Razako

How about making one more arctic thread and just putting in a STRONG warning at the start. Something like this-"If you cause drama here or post off-topic you WILL be banned. Only post actual NEW AND RELEVANT INFO". If people make junk posts or in any way go off-topic or start flaming people give them an immediate temp ban.

I mean these threads did actually have some interesting stuff. It just got buried in all of the flamewars and garbage posts like this-"Hi I ordered on XXX and my order number is XXX ANyone know when I might get my arctic?".

Censorship is not the right way.This is the internet after-all.

If i wanted to be censored i would have went to wicked"s forums...

Razako

It is not censorship if you just ban the trouble makers...

Jerry
Exactly. Bring the arctic thread back and just get rid of the troublemakers early on to set an example. When people start seeing a lot of banned members in the thread coupled with a warning at the start they'll get the message.

Eradicating those threads altogether eliminates the honeypot that attracts flies. Good riddance, and I hope the people who came here only for that thread pack their bags as well.

Razako

Eradicating those threads altogether eliminates the honeypot that attracts flies. Good riddance, and I hope the people who came here only for that thread pack their bags as well.
Yeah so now they'll post random stuff about the arctic all over the forum. Is that supposed to be better?

Trevor

Yeah so now they'll post random stuff about the arctic all over the forum. Is that supposed to be better?

Yeah, you do have a point. At least the honey keeps the flies in one place.

-Trevor

Better than having a post fester with the dregs of the internet? A post that attracts douchebags and trolls who create accounts just to argue with people? A post that always floats to the top because of all the inane, unrelated conversation that goes on?

Yes, I think it'd be better! In fact, every WL Arctic posts should be categorically deleted, sending the message that such conversation is unwanted here. Deleting those posts disrupts whatever "community" that post had, so that people don't feel like there's anyone else to discuss the Arctic, or more importantly, all the lame side-topics that thread seems to generate.

Hell, the real shame of deleting that forum post was that we didn't use it to delete all the accounts for which that was the only thread someone posted to. It would've cleaned out so many pointless accounts on this forum.

Razako

Better than having a post fester with the dregs of the internet? A post that attracts douchebags and trolls who create accounts just to argue with people? A post that always floats to the top because of all the inane, unrelated conversation that goes on?

Yes, I think it'd be better! In fact, every WL Arctic posts should be categorically deleted, sending the message that such conversation is unwanted here. Deleting those posts disrupts whatever "community" that post had, so that people don't feel like there's anyone else to discuss the Arctic, or more importantly, all the lame side-topics that thread seems to generate.

Hell, the real shame of deleting that forum post was that we didn't use it to delete all the accounts for which that was the only thread someone posted to. It would've cleaned out so many pointless accounts on this forum.
Sounds a lot like the wickedlasers forums where they delete threads about companies or products that they don't like. Do you want LPF to be like that? Who says that wickedlasers conversation is unwanted here? They even have a banner add at the top of the forum.

Sounds a lot like the wickedlasers forums where they delete threads about companies or products that they don't like. Do you want LPF to be like that? Who says that wickedlasers conversation is unwanted here? They even have a banner add at the top of the forum.
There is a difference between a paying advertiser and a company that
has been lying repeatedly to their customers because the had no product
from day one...
And that same WL has had free advertising in all those WL Arctic threads
that attracted all the noobs that will NEVER contribute to this Forum...

Jerry