Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tetris + Laser Harp

Tonga

Things that is amazing work man;)! This is one of the projects that I have been dreaming about doing someday but just have been too busy to get started. Thanks for the thread. Would you be willing to sell a board to me?:)

anselm

This is truly great. You win one internet.
While I enjoyed the tetris theme, I'd love a longer video of you playing with your harp.
Or maybe more details on the build, unless you want to keep it a secret.... :shhh:
Like, how does the frameless design work, and is it very accurate?
Does the distance from hand/reflection to the sensor have any influence or is it simply on/off?

Things

There is another video with a bit more of an overview of the harp on my channel. I'm working on putting it all in a case at the moment:

DSCF2815.jpg

DSCF2816.jpg

Cheers,
Dan

HIMNL9

That configuration gave me an evily idea ..... 2 or 3 octaves with green beam for tones, and blue or red for semitones, anyone ? ..... :eg: :eg: :eg:

Doofus

Please play dueling banjos, with lasers. Yes. Oh yes.

Btw that smiley is the "Awesome Smiley".

WOW! great work i have always wanted to build one of these.

what are you using for the sensor to pick up the beams? ive seen people build these using a Wii-mote as the sensor but yours looks much better than a hacked up video game controller :)

Things

The wiimote allows you to track the position of your hand in the beams, so you can pitch bend. Mine just uses 3 photodiodes (1 is ifne, but 3 seems to work a little better).

You can crudely pitch bend by detecting the brightness of the reflection, but it's not all that accurate.

HIMNL9

If you can find someone that can write image-managing code, it can be done much more precisely, with a CCD camera, also an USB cheap one.

I mean, it's all matter of triangulation ..... looking at the spots in the image, when they displace horizontally, it's tone change, when they displace vertically, it's pitch (volume, treble, whatever other you want) change ;)

EDIT: i just realized that in this way, you can also be the first one to build a laser-theremin, LOL (i mean, using a contituous "fan" of laser, instead beams :p) ..... hey, if this happens, i want my royalties, ok ? :)p :D)

Last edited:

Things

Well, laser harp is all cased up.

Still having a slight problem where all the beams seem to be shifting around a bit, which I can't seem to get rid of no matter what I do, but it still works.

Just need to add an external program port.

DSCF2865.jpg

Things

Nope, it'll work with any number of colours with a little extra programming.

Van

Great.
so what is the max power for using it? if I run an 2W RGB, it will be ok?

Things

Any power you like :)

You just have to be careful your lasers wont set fire to the roof or your hands!