Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Testing a DTR module without host

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
You could ask DTR if he has any extended lens holders left. Those may allow you to get your focus adapter on. IIRC, they are 4 or 5mm longer than the standard ones.
As a matter of fact I need to check to see if he has any also; I need two for a couple of projects.

I'd like to thank each and every one of you for the great help! I managed to get a very nice dot because of you guys. I'll figure out how I'm gonna do the focusing when my host arrives in a couple weeks.

Thanks again!

That's great news, glad we could help.:beer:

You could ask DTR if he has any extended lens holders left. Those may allow you to get your focus adapter on. IIRC, they are 4 or 5mm longer than the standard ones.
As a matter of fact I need to check to see if he has any also; I need two for a couple of projects.

I was wondering about that too, I noticed he stopped selling lenses in the extended holder as well as the holders themselves, I hope it isn't permanent.

Alan

gozert

I can still screw the focus ring about halfway on, so I think I'll be able to focus it perfectly fine if I add a little bit of glue to hold it in place. Going to wait for the host to arrive first though.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That's great news, glad we could help.:beer:

I was wondering about that too, I noticed he stopped selling lenses in the extended holder as well as the holders themselves, I hope it isn't permanent.

Alan

I also hope it's not permanent; I need two of them, they don't even need to have a lens in them. :)

DTR

Yea with the acrylic lens you can't use the focus ring unless you use some method to glue it on only about a single turn on the lens. The lens is just too short.

As for the extended barrels for the single element lenses my shop that made them just up and dissapeared about 6 months ago. I have been meaning to get the new shop to make some and will try to get to it here in the near future.:beer:

Pman

Sounds to me your lens just wasn't screwed in far enough to get the dot you were looking for because it was threaded too far into the focus ring so it wouldn't get close enough to the diode. All I do is add an o-ring from one of those o-ring kits from Harbor Freight to take up some of the space in the focus adapter so it will screw in closer to the diode. The o-ring needs to fit perfect in the focus adapter so it isn't in the beam path and I only do this with lower powered units like the one you have. You don't want the lens to physically touch the diode can obviously.
I would have to try it myself but I would be really surprised if you can't get close enough with that lens for a nice dot. Would have used a G-2 on that unit myself though as I don't remember it having a bar or wings. Maybe I'm just confused. Don't remember there being splash on the low powered 520nm

Last edited:
Hi had the same issue Pi R is correct. I used the SL focus ring and it worked fine,

I can still screw the focus ring about halfway on, so I think I'll be able to focus it perfectly fine if I add a little bit of glue to hold it in place. Going to wait for the host to arrive first though.

Just DON'T use cyanoacrylate super glue.
It can fog lenses. How long can these PL
520 run with no heatsink?

gozert

Thanks for the warning. That is the glue I wanted to use. What kind of glue do you recommend?

Last edited:
The best glue to use for optics is UV cure,
but not everyone has that. Gorilla glue
and epoxy are okay, but can be difficult to
remove, especially the epoxy. Gorilla glue
can also foam, so use only a little bit if
you decide to use that.

Slightly deforming the threads is another
thing to try. Just be careful. Otherwise
the focusing right might not screw on.

If it has to be removable, probably the
best thing I've found yet is to use a
washer as a spacer. Put it between the
lens and the focusing ring.

gozert

Hey guys,

I pressed the module in the host, and I can say that I didn't need any glue for sure. The fit was very tight, so it won't be coming out unless I would somehow push it back out.

The lens fits perfectly on the focus ring, so I didn't have to search for an extended lens barrel. What I did do was taking off a focus ring from my SF501B and glued it on top of the focus ring that came with the Ehgemus host. I did this because there was a huge, round splash on the walls when I turned the laser on. I pretty much extended the barrel making that splash disappear.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

DTR

Sorry still out of them. Send the last ones I had to my new machine shop but have been busy with another project with them and have not had time to get new samples made before a production run.:(

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry still out of them. Send the last ones I had to my new machine shop but have been busy with another project with them and have not had time to get new samples made before a production run.:(

Thanks for the update DTR. I'll just keep an eye out for them at your store.

gozert

I removed every quote with the spambot guy in it, what quote are you talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.