Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ten frequency rainbow 2/17/18

When I saw Sanwu had a 505nm my first thought was to get one to add to the different frequencies I have so I can attempt to photograph a ten frequency rainbow (405, 460, 473, 505, 520, 532, 589, 593.5, 638, and 650nm). Here are my first attempts at photographing them all together. The first few are just shooting for the beams. The 405nm in these is not visible enough and it takes away from the overall picture. I eventually figured out how to make them appear correctly in later pics in this post. Next I used two long mirrors to bounce the beam around. Then I tried shooting all of the beams thru a prism and got a few decent shots. They look a little chaotic as it was difficult to position that may lasers to come out of the prism at the angles I wanted. The next idea was to use one long mirror and bounce the beams back toward the lasers. There is one shot here of that. There are many from this sequence that came out good. The 405 is now more visible and the colors are accurate and exposed properly. Since all was well, I took away the mirror and got some fairly accurate photographs of a ten frequency rainbow, which was my objective.

Something I hardly ever do is use my lasers outside of the "laser" room. As a whim I blasted some fog in my basement and photographed some lasers going thru the basement.

Now it was time to be creative. All of the rainbow pics up to this point had the lasers positioned one on top of the other vertically. I wanted to shoot them horizontally so I repositioned everything and placed mirrors over the entire surface of the table with the beams about six inches above. I set up a few rows of hematite sphere magnets to create some "curves" to all of the straight lines. There are some really nice pics in this sequence too. When I was finishing up I had my fisheye lens on and with all of the fog in the room and white light. I put the camera up high looking down and the last pic in this post is that. A very ominous looking room!

I really like how the horizontal laser / mirror set up turned out and that I what I will continue to explore in the week ahead. Enjoy

DSC_2470_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2471_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2474_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2479_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2481_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

sampled from above photo-
rb complete by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2492_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2499_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2503_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2510_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2520_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2526_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2528_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2529_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2534_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2541_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2551_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2555_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2562_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2563_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2564_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2571_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2572_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2573_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2576_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2581_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2583_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

DSC_2585_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Last edited:

Fruits

Those prism shots are hypnotic. Very creative and daze inducing, I can stare at these all day. :worthy:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Those are the best rainbows I've ever seen, Bruce, I think you've even outdone mother nature on these! :cool:

I like those pics of the beams coming out of your laser room, and going across your basement; it looks the one beam "escapes" (#2541), and then in the next photo (#2551), the rest of the beams follow. You better close the door before before they all get away. :D

That last photo reminds me of a torture device. :eek:

As always, :gj: and :kewlpics:

Last edited:
Cool photos.
I was curious how these would turn out when you mentioned it in the other thread.
You've got a nice collection.

Very colorful, Bruce. I have been waiting to see your ten wavelength photos, so thank you for that. I believe you have room for a couple more wavelengths like 495nm and 480nm, or as close to them as you can get. The 495nm will be coming back after the CNY, but the less expensive Sharp attempt at 480nm, of which I have a 477nm, are gone forever. There are some 480nm laser diodes out there, but they are still too high in price for my liking. Maybe one of these will come down in price eventually.

:thanks: for the photos. :yh:

Always such a pleasure see your Laser Art, Bruce!
Just amazing as always! :bowdown:

This one is my favourite one, love the transition when beams are coming from darkness and cross the room with lights on.
It feels like I could reach out and touch those beams..

Thanks for sharing!! :thanks:

DSC_2551_resize by brucemir, on Flickr

Encap

Awesome rainbow shots---your best yet---really nice. A 10 wavelength treat

Best I’ve ever seen by farrrrrr, great rainbows, thanks.

Thanks Fruits, Bowtieguy, RA Pierce, Paul and AD. Once I got going it was a lot of fun to photograph and it looks so intense in person! So vibrant . Since all of the lasers are secure I can walk around the set before I photograph and am amazed on how beautiful it looks. I can only imagine how pristine and surreal it must look for all of ArcticDudes work, whether ice formations, auroras, and the like. Whenever you want to switch with me for a week or so let me know:)

RA pieces post today of his 495nm has made me think I should see what is involved in getting the components together and seeing if anyone would build one. A beautiful color and would fit in nicely in the above shots.

Bowtieguy - after I took the pic of the room with the lights on, and viewed it, I thought the same thing

FYI my favorite pic is 2573. It is a bit of an optical illusion. It is ten beams with a reflection of ten beams about 6 inches apart. If you look at the first ten beams from the top, they are the actual beams over the hemitite balls. Everything else is a reflection and the beams are under the balls. And at the angle I shot it, it appears they are all on the same plane. It looks like this was taken over a large area, when what you see is about 3 feet by 2 feet..

Thanks for the amazing rainbow shots, Bruce! I love the skill and hard work you put into every photo, and how you make it look so easy. I owe you a +Rep when I’m able. Take Care. :)

-cd

I swear we need a sub-forum just for laser rainbows, Sta showed me his the other day. I think there was a big thread for them? :thinking:

Very good shots Bruce, definitely nice to see a wide wavelength variety like that. Definitely digging the new avatar too! :D

Thanks Encap, LtKernel, Alaskan, Cyber, and ElecticPlasma!

I do vaguely remember a rainbow thread. Maybe it is time to start a new one

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I swear we need a sub-forum just for laser rainbows, Sta showed me his the other day. I think there was a big thread for them? :thinking:

Very good shots Bruce, definitely nice to see a wide wavelength variety like that. Definitely digging the new avatar too! :D

Thanks Encap, LtKernel, Alaskan, Cyber, and ElecticPlasma!

I do vaguely remember a rainbow thread. Maybe it is time to start a new one

I think this is the thread you guys are thinking about, (My Rainbow -- Post Pic's of Yours) it's a large thread that is 27 pages long, it was started way back in 2008 by non other than Dave (daguin).

There is a lot of good stuff in there, and it's kind of neat, since it goes almost back to the beginning of LPF!

Gorgeous, Bruce. That last photo, you were able to get each color about the same intensity. Not that easy to do. ;)

BobMc

Man alive, Bruce those are just off the charts! Just simply stunning! :drool:

Rainbows for days! Thanks for taking the time and posting, so magnificent.