Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Techlasers Titan from Wicked Lasers

WRM

I received my Techlasers Titan a few days ago and as you are well aware, this laser was appropriately named. It is LARGE (and bright). It makes a CNI PGL III-C look tiny. It's just under 15" in length, two inches in diameter at the head and 1 5/8 inches wide at the tail.

I was initially disappointed when I saw that the others who received their Titans had stickers that were over 400mW attached to them. My sticker says 350. Well, I put it on the meter today and what a surprise. The laser peaked at 456.8mW and averaged just over 400mW sustained. I left the laser on for about 10 minutes and it never went under 375mW and stayed mostly in the 390's. I have not yet measured divergence; but can already tell that it's in TEM00 and that the beam is tight. The beam is completely visible in daylight.

The only real problem that I have with the laser is that the security key is tough to operate. It's not clear at all if the key is in the correct position or not and you have to continuously tweak the key to maintain the electrical connection. I wonder if I actually have the correct keys to the laser.

If anyone has had problems with their Titan keys, please let me know and also if anyone has come up with a solution. I wonder if the new style Hercules tail cap could match threads and replace this rickety one?

I've included a few pictures that show the massive size of the laser, also a few meter readings and a beam shot. The beam shot is a little shaky as I had the camera on a tripod; but held the laser in my hand. In one of the measurement pics, it looks like the beam comes out on an angle; but the laser is so heavy that it was actually leaning down a bit in the holder. Bill

In summary, it looks like I received a generic CNI "Hercules" for $450, which is a great deal. Thanks Niko & Steve (WL)!!!! Bill

Attachments

• P1110606.JPG
    P1110606.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 164
  • P1110620.JPG
    P1110620.JPG
    296.3 KB · Views: 156
  • P1110636edit.jpg
    P1110636edit.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 149
  • P1110655.JPG
    P1110655.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 191
  • P1110661.JPG
    P1110661.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 173
  • P1110668.JPG
    P1110668.JPG
    234.5 KB · Views: 173
  • P1110644.JPG
    P1110644.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

WRM

Rangedunits, You may have missed this; but it was a special promotion that was organized by Niko through Steve from Wicked Lasers. There were only six of these Titans that were sold for $450 each. These are actually CNI lasers that are the basic equivalent of the Hercules (which costs many times what this one costs). Bill

Nice purchase! If the divergence and beam characteristics are up to par, then you got yourself and amazing deal! I am jealous...:D

Good to know yours has a TEM00 beam, the one Ken got mode hops :(

The only real problem that I have with the laser is that the security key is tough to operate. It's not clear at all if the key is in the correct position or not and you have to continuously tweak the key to maintain the electrical connection. I wonder if I actually have the correct keys to the laser.

This is why I hate security features. They're useless and annoying.

Trevor

I live in a dorm setting - I keep my lasers locked up when I'm not using them. But when they do come out, I find it handy to have a key switch or something I can use to deactivate it. In any other setting though... I see how that could get annoying.

This looks like a relatively really good unit - nice.

-Trevor

The keys for these TITANS are crap. Requires constant tweaking and if you ate moving the laser around it will come loose and the laser will shut off. I sent a better key back to the purchaser of the laser. It is solid metal and fits snugly in place. Took care of that problem 100%. I have another extra one.

Sounds like you got a GREAT LASER for not too much cash (compared to the HERC). I hope you get your key switch trouble solved. Maybe you can ask WL or TECHLASERS to replace the switch or if you don't want to do that, try perusing the ELECTRONICS PARTS sites, (LIKE DIGIKEY) for a matching keyed lock & replace it yourself. GOOD LUCK
with whatever choice you make-------rob PS, I'd take LUKE up on his offer. It just may solve your trouble for you. (nice of you to offer, LUKE)

Last edited:

WRM

My PGL II-C 300 has the same problem with it's security key. The receptacle for the key is a plastic grommet. (You can see it in one of my pictures). The key pushes down a switch and that little nub on the key is expected to hold the switch down when you turn the key to the correct position. (CNI has since redesigned the key). It looks way more solid than it is on the Titan as it's actually made from steel. This is why I thought that I might have the wrong key for the Titan. Is anyone who already received a Titan having the same problem? Thanks, Bill

I live in a dorm setting - I keep my lasers locked up when I'm not using them. But when they do come out, I find it handy to have a key switch or something I can use to deactivate it. In any other setting though... I see how that could get annoying.

This looks like a relatively really good unit - nice.

-Trevor

I know they're mandatory, but I wouldn't consider them the best option. For example, I won't be taking the keys with me if I go out and don't want anybody else using it while I'm out. AFAIK the lasers don't turn on "accidentally" either. A shutter is good, doesn't add the need to have EXTRA stuff to power it on, but keys and plug? C'mon, why are those two needed? If the fear is that somebody gets the laser turned on "accidentally" then just take the batteries out, problem solved.

WRM

The keys for these TITANS are crap. Requires constant tweaking and if you ate moving the laser around it will come loose and the laser will shut off. I sent a better key back to the purchaser of the laser. It is solid metal and fits snugly in place. Took care of that problem 100%. I have another extra one.

I'm glad that it's not just mine. I assumed that it was just the old CNI style keys that were rickety like this. I sent you a PM about the key. Thanks for the input. Bill

No problem, the issue was definetly the key with the Titan I tested. As soon as I swapped it out with one of my keys the problem was solved. I will send a couple out to you ASAP.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

No problem, the issue was definetly the key with the Titan I tested. As soon as I swapped it out with one of my keys the problem was solved. I will send a couple out to you ASAP.

Thanks Luke, It's much appreciated! +1 rep point! Bill

Last edited:

Kenom

I completely bypassed my Key as I was having issues with the dongle and in removing that, I had to bypass the key as well.

WRM

I completely bypassed my Key as I was having issues with the dongle and in removing that, I had to bypass the key as well.

Kenom, How did you bypass those things? Was it easy to disassemble the tail? It seems hermetically sealed. Thanks, Bill