Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Survival Laser S4™ (1W 520nm) w/Tutorial, Beamshots, and more!

Survival Laser S4™ 1W 520nm

Technical Specs

NDG700 Diode w/SXD Set @1.8A
3-Element Lens
2x18350 (7.4V Total)
Extended and Tapered Heatsink
Survival Lasers S4 Housing
Black Clicky Switch
SL Heatsinked Pill w/ Contact Board Installed
Copper Aixiz Module(12mm)
24AWG Scilicone Leads
Aixiz Focus Ring
0.050 Setscrew Size

More Detailed Specs

Lazerer's SuperX-Drive set to 1800ma(1.8A)
9mm NDG700 Diode
Aixiz 12mm Copper Module
3-Element lens with AR Coatings
Positive Side of Battery to Contact board (pos. goes in first)
Modded Contact Board for contact (only for flat top cells)
Vasoline as Thread Lubricant

Diode Outputs
800mw 520nm w/Three Element Lens
1,100mw 520nm w/405 G2 Lens

Laser Host

The Survival Laser S4 host assembly is black anodized aluminum with a laser-etched Survival Laser logo and features a tapered strike bezel-style crown/retaining ring, heat sink o-ring, a knurled and grooved heat sink holder, battery holder with cooling fins and groove detail, and an enlarged knurled, grooved and scalloped tail cap with a recessed green GITD 'clicky' switch and wrist strap. The design of the tail cap and wrist strap retention method permits the S4 host to tail stand. Also includes your choice of heat sink with set screw and a 0.050' Allen wrench.

Overall Length: 4.96' (w/standard heat sinks)
Maximum Diameter: 1.02'
Weights: 69 grams (with aluminum heat sink)
96 grams (with standard copper heat sink)
104 grams (with extended copper heat sink)
116 grams (with extended and tapered copper heat sink)

Batteries
This housing is designed for 2x16340s or 1x18650,But I am using 2xEfest 3.7v 18350s because I don't want an underpowered battery for an such power consuming Laser Diode. I also modified the battery contact board with a little drop of solder to make contact.

Build Tutorial
Step1: Gather ALL Nessarary Parts. (Laser Diode, Driver, Extra Leads, Aixiz Module, Host, Vice, Diode pressing tools, Host, Allen Wrench, Soldering Iron, Solder, Flux, Batteries, Wet Sponge, Fire Extinguisher , Heatshrink Tubing, ETC..)

Step2: Take the aluminum back half of the Aixiz Module and press your diode in using an vice and diode pressing tools.

Step3: Take your Driver and Solder it onto the diode, observing correct polarity.

Step4: Take some extra leads and solder it onto the back ends of the driver, also observe for correct polarity.

Step5: First, put heatshrink tubing on the leads of your host, or contact board. Then take your SL Pill (or any other hosts with black and red leads) and solder the Aixiz module with your diode and driver, red wire with red, black wire with black. Last, shrink the Heatshrink tubing with a lighter or stroke it with your soldering iron. Make last check your leads so it doesn't short out.

Step6: Slowly, screw the pill and other parts including the Heatsink into the host, and then the module into the host, making sure the module is lined perfectly with the host heatsink. Then use your Allen wrench and tighten the module down, so it doesn't move.

Step7: Put in your batteries, Pos first (depending on your host), into the host and screw the end cap.

Turn on and enjoy your laser!

Beamshots
Laser pointed toward grass.

Side shot with a little spill.

Side shot.

This one is the laser touching clouds, the dot is actually on the cloud!

Low shot.

This one is also touching the clouds, but it too bright that you can't see the dot via camera.

Indoor shots.

Here in my garage, just bought this uhhh, new laser here. Fun to shine around in my back yard hills. (LOL)

For More BeamShots Please Go To The Link Below.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/1w-520nm-survival-laser-s4-beamshot-gallery-95885.html#post1393771

**NOTE**
The laser is 5 Times brighter to the eye than to the camera. This is as visible an 6W 445nm laser.

Last edited:

Garoq

Cool laser, I have one of those diodes I've been meaning to use in an S4 build myself. Our green extended focusing ring would give it a nice finishing touch. ;) Please be careful shining the laser near those small garage windows, you could easily get a nasty reflection from them.

HI J,
Nice job and Tutorial , beam shots are alway appreciated . Keep up the god work very detailed orientated. Great choice in heat sink with the extended tapered sink you can use gary's conical focus adapter for more run time get an extension tube to hold 2-18650's.

Last on brother.. Rich:) +1 Rep to you for a fine job

Gabe

But do you know what I like more than power? Low divergence.

Is the divergence noticeable when pointing up into the sky and onto the clouds?

Cool laser, I have one of those diodes I've been meaning to use in an S4 build myself. Our green extended focusing ring would give it a nice finishing touch. ;) Please be careful shining the laser near those small garage windows, you could easily get a nasty reflection from them.
Thanks for your advice, I'm always cautious with windows, but I have a safety glass on when taking the picture. The green adapter does look really good, when I have a bunch of things to order, I'll get one of those adapters.

HI J,
Nice job and Tutorial , beam shots are alway appreciated . Keep up the god work very detailed orientated. Great choice in heat sink with the extended tapered sink you can use gary's conical focus adapter for more run time get an extension tube to hold 2-18650's.

Last on brother.. Rich:) +1 Rep to you for a fine job
Thanks for helping out, 1+ Rep back. :thanks:
I will have bunch of Beamshots for you soon. :beer:
But do you know what I like more than power? Low divergence.

Is the divergence noticeable when pointing up into the sky and onto the clouds?

I bet you seen that ad too, :crackup:

The divergence is like a perfect dot on the clouds, when pointed to something on the ground, it seems more like a rectangle. It is not noticable when pointed up.

Any idea how high the cloud deck was when you put that spot on it? I'm surprised you could do that without a beam expander, unless they were fairly low. Maybe I need to revise my expectations regarding the divergence of these multimode diodes, or the three element lens with its longer focal length made the difference?

Very nice photo's, nice information, well done! +Rep when I can.

Last edited:
Cool build, that host will fit a belt holster nicely.

Diffusing off your garage door it looks nice and bright.

Hitting that cloud I can see the line in place of a tight dot of a 532

I wonder if you might have a 500mw 532 that you could compare side by side?

Any idea how high the cloud deck was when you put that spot on it? I'm surprised you could do that without a beam expander, unless they were fairly low. Maybe I need to revise my expectations regarding the divergence of these multimode diodes, or the three element lens with its longer focal length made the difference?

Very nice photo's, nice information, well done! +Rep when I can.

It is quite high, I'd say it's like the hight of an airplane that looks like a like it's only 3mm by your hands when you measure it. I'm using 3-element in the beamshots, maybe I just got a low divergence diode, never know.

Thanks for the rep tho,