Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Super"cooling a laser?

Yeah i know what you mean, I am really happy, even if the testing achieves nothing, that I finally found an activity in which I can use my old cooling systems :D

brtaman

brtaman said:
Thanks for the info flogged, I was sure that the diode had turned orange but could not confirm, it was the base 5mw within the aizix module (just with focused line), I am going to try with the burner diode, but am waiting to recieve/order glasses because 200ish mW pumped into a small room with white walls is not something I wish on my eyes.

With your calculations, and the ~-50C the cooling system pumps out I should get -10nm from the diode (going by the 2nm change per degree and from 0C, if ambient at 20C is meant, then in theory -14nm in the wavelenght? Cant wait to see what comes out of this.

BTW flogged where do you live, -20 outside? even at night brrrrr :eek:

Hehe amk, yes I hold a world record (a measly one though :p) for a specific CPU core not the general OC WR, I got a 3000+ athlon 64 (754 pin), from 2.0-3.3, not that hard though, I was kind of waiting for someone to challange me before pushing it (then i killed the cpu...), but everyone was busy with the 939 pin version at the time, so it has stayed and will stay i guess :p, but its still cool to say that I have a WR in something hehehe

My OC name was ZIZI, here is a link to my lowly achievement. the one posted is only 3.2 IIRC (no one challanged nad i lost the link to the CPU-Z confirmation for the 3.34 one), these old athlons were pretty stuburn to push compared to Intels of then and now though, but great fun and had amazing memory latency.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59753 its the single core 3000+ Venice 754 (they werent too easy to overclock).

Good to see a fellow overclocker on these board (nice overclock though which core) (though its not too surprising, tech related things seem to interest all oc'ers :p), though my OCing days are pretty much over as I cant find the time, and those tests and processes took up ALOT of my time.

Thanks
brtaman

sorry for threadjack,

I specifically bought my CPU because I heard it was a good overclocker. it is the E7200 Wolfdale 45nm COre2 duo from intel.

I like the CPU because it doesn't give off much heat, and so is and easy overclock. I have hooked up to watercooling, so I should be fine. I once was a GPU overclocking fan, but after killing a board, and some other things I stopped.

lol, nice to have met you (online at least),

amk

</threadjack>

daguin

jamilm9 said:
off topic but at what voltage would i run these at
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=373
Can i do it strait off batteries or do i need a current regulator.What current is needed for them.

**hint #1**

136.8W TEC Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier [highlight]12V[/highlight], 2pcs

**hint #2**

. . . even for your own custom car drink warmer/cooler [highlight](power from cigarette lighter)[/highlight].

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=jamilm9 link=1213341465/12#18 date=1213554781]off topic but at what voltage would i run these at
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=373
Can i do it strait off batteries or do i need a current regulator.What current is needed for them.

**hint #1**

136.8W TEC Thermoelectric Cooler Peltier [highlight]12V[/highlight], 2pcs

**hint #2**

. . . even for your own custom car drink warmer/cooler [highlight](power from cigarette lighter)[/highlight].

Peace,
dave[/quote]

Usually it is written on the peltier itself what voltage it requires, as far as current mine pulls up to 6 amps @12v so a car battery is a must ;D

Peltier coolers are not very efficient, they are just quiet :)

amkdeath said:
[quote author=brtaman link=1213341465/0#8 date=1213478928]Thanks for the info flogged, I was sure that the diode had turned orange but could not confirm, it was the base 5mw within the aizix module (just with focused line), I am going to try with the burner diode, but am waiting to recieve/order glasses because 200ish mW pumped into a small room with white walls is not something I wish on my eyes.

With your calculations, and the ~-50C the cooling system pumps out I should get -10nm from the diode (going by the 2nm change per degree and from 0C, if ambient at 20C is meant, then in theory -14nm in the wavelenght? Cant wait to see what comes out of this.

BTW flogged where do you live, -20 outside? even at night brrrrr :eek:

Hehe amk, yes I hold a world record (a measly one though :p) for a specific CPU core not the general OC WR, I got a 3000+ athlon 64 (754 pin), from 2.0-3.3, not that hard though, I was kind of waiting for someone to challange me before pushing it (then i killed the cpu...), but everyone was busy with the 939 pin version at the time, so it has stayed and will stay i guess :p, but its still cool to say that I have a WR in something hehehe

My OC name was ZIZI, here is a link to my lowly achievement. the one posted is only 3.2 IIRC (no one challanged nad i lost the link to the CPU-Z confirmation for the 3.34 one), these old athlons were pretty stuburn to push compared to Intels of then and now though, but great fun and had amazing memory latency.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59753 its the single core 3000+ Venice 754 (they werent too easy to overclock).

Good to see a fellow overclocker on these board (nice overclock though which core) (though its not too surprising, tech related things seem to interest all oc'ers :p), though my OCing days are pretty much over as I cant find the time, and those tests and processes took up ALOT of my time.

Thanks
brtaman

sorry for threadjack,

I specifically bought my CPU because I heard it was a good overclocker. it is the E7200 Wolfdale 45nm COre2 duo from intel.

I like the CPU because it doesn't give off much heat, and so is and easy overclock. I have hooked up to watercooling, so I should be fine. I once was a GPU overclocking fan, but after killing a board, and some other things I stopped.

lol, nice to have met you (online at least),

amk

</threadjack>[/quote]

Not a problem whatsoever!!! Nice to have met you as well, its always cool to meet a fellow OC/laser enthusiast!

thanks
brtaman

I have my q6600 overclocked from 2.4 to 3.4 :D

BTW, i'm really curious to see how this cooling system will turn out with other diodes.

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
Those are some interesting results...
I never knew that cooling a laser diode will increase the frequency of the light (in nanometers).

Lawl, someone forgot to tell me we now measure frequency in nanometers.

I weigh 4 gallons in height. How 'bout'chu?

Thanks for the interest guys! I am going out of town for a couple of days (back wed/thurs), I was looking through the forum and saw some beam shots of a 635nm laser, from the picture it looks o be exactly what I am getting, which leads me to believe that I am using or/have 650 nm LD's....?

I am going to try and get myself some good/cheap (emphasis on cheap :p), 635ish LD diodes and continue testing from there.

On a side note my compresor system seems to have lost preassure over the years or two of storage, I am therefore searching for someone with r-402a to refill it for me, which is a PIA...but hopefully someone will turn up, already called a couple of refrigeration services and it was not fun trying to explain to them what I need the gas for...some dude thought I was pranking another one almost busted a gut only to tell me that he doesnt do r-402a???(BS on his side???)

brtaman

Do you have a refrigeration manifold, or know someone who can re-tune the phase change cooler ?

You will get major flood-back which can damage the compresor as you aren't putting enough heat into the evaporator.

Edit: Just read the whole thread. You might try taking it down to them and talking to them in person - Easy to see that it isn't a prank that way.

Cyparagon said:
[quote author=Jimmymcjimthejim link=1213341465/0#9 date=1213489491]Those are some interesting results...
I never knew that cooling a laser diode will increase the frequency of the light (in nanometers).

Lawl, someone forgot to tell me we now measure frequency in nanometers.

I weigh 4 gallons in height. How 'bout'chu?[/quote]

;D ;D ;D +1

Hey guys,

I've been super busy with work the past few days...:I

So just a quick update on my "project", I have not had success in supercooling the 650nm diodes to the point where they emit in the orange specter. Based on the info you provided me in this thread I would need to go alot colder to get the diodes to go orange.

That is why I am on a hunt for a good (but cheap :D) 635 diode. I believe that I would be successful with this diode? (hope)

Do any of you know a member and/or good vendor, from whom I would be able to purchase a 635, in the 15-20mw range, IgorT already provided me with a link of an Austrian company, I am just looking for alternatives, if none show I will buy from them and continue with the testing.

After running the system with a load I found that it had not lost its contents, as a distinct woosh sound was coming from the evaporator (a good thing), so that part is taken care of atleast for now.

brtaman

We measure wavelength in meters, mM, nM.
Frequency is typically in Hertz etc which is time based.

Hurts - Donut ;D

Mike

Scog

I noticed a long time ago that people who like lasers often also have other hobbies in common. The most frequent ones i notice are rc helis and overclocking :) I have a honeybee cp that doesn't get used too often, and my e6750 has been clocked to 3.8 from 2.6 on air.
I think the common theme here is hobbies that involve a lot of fiddling and tweaking for very little actual use.
We just like messing round with complicated stuff and pushing our limits.
Oh and very impressive with the athlon 3000, i had a 3200 venice that hardly wanted to go over 2.6 :-[