Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Streamlight Microstream Pen 450nm

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Microstream "BLACK OUT" EDC Pen

O0bCfFK.jpg

Here's a little guy that's been forever coming together, It's a 3/4 length mini pen made by Streamlight, it's their "Microstream" model which I believe is their smallest offering.
So finally after two diodes, the first was just a very weak (83mW) w/G-2 lens, and two drivers (operator error):mad:, and a lot of just plain collecting dust, it's finally complete. :yh:

These little Microstream builds have been done a couple of times previously, namely by ShotGunDrums, and CynicalBrad.
My Microstream was on order back when SGD posted his build back in august; this will give you an idea on how long it's taken me to finish this up!

These Streamlight penlights make a great host for pen sized laser builds, they're a high quality host with a decent quality momentary/constant on tail switch.
The only thing that I don't like about them is the fact that the front does not disassemble; you have to pull the original led/driver assy. out from the front, and your new diode/driver module goes back in the same way.
Many pen sized lights are built this way, but a 3 piece host constructiom would be easier to work with.

Components Used For This Build:

• "Streamlight Microstream" Penlight - for host & battery contact board.
  • Osram PLT5 450B 450nm Single Mode Diode. (DTR)
  • 12mm Copper Module w/Alum. back half. (DTR)
  • 'S Mini' Boost Driver set at 273mA. (Lazeerer)

Dimensions & Weight:

• Length = 96mm (3.77")
  • Diameter = 15mm (0.59")
  • Weight w/Battery = 38g (1.34oz)

Measured Power Output:

• 3 Element = 233mW
  • Acrylic = 258mW
  • G-2 = 323mW

A few photos! :wave:

VxnWLl2.jpg

(Left) Complete LED drive module as pulled from light. (Right) Disassembled LED module. Contact board on right was modified and re-used.
h6Qow8f.jpg
zMEwOPK.jpg

Module assy. showing bored out aluminum back half, and turned down copper front piece.
XcLIOPy.jpg

Battery contact board w/mods. for connection to aluminum module and added solder blob for battery contact.
9atibmL.jpg
qtWI579.jpg

Complete Module assembly.
EIxePze.jpg

(Left) Modified 12mm copper module. (Right) 2 styles of module retaining clips that I tried. I ended up using the simple home made spring clip on the left.
0l4Wk1X.jpg
2f1UOzn.jpg

Finished EDC pen with focus knob assortment. I ended up using the standard fluted one which I sandblasted and painted a flat black to match the look of the Streamlight.
The others are the standard chrome plated, a 'Survival Laser' black anodized aluminum knob, and a custom one that I made which looked real nice, but I decided on the all black look. :yh:
Swsplqb.jpg

Here's a look at it with the custom adapter ....not too shabby!
zEA7HtK.jpg

Here's a couple of pics showing how small this pen is.

XksKMXu.jpg

jeQSMAN.jpg

FX3LURq.jpg

A few indoor beam shots with some light fog.

41mW5Ll.jpg

oPg0xfI.jpg

MJsdi3s.jpg

Close-up of dot on textured garage door at 40'.
f55lpQL.jpg

A pattern made on the wall when the laser was shined through a wavy glass table top.
Or, .....this could be your laser on drugs! :D
eSkCtTd.jpg

That's all for now folks. :wave:

PS - I would recommend this penlight to use for a host for a low to mid powered laser. Being shorter than a "traditional" pen it clips in any pocket with ease, a truly EDC (every day carry) design! :beer:

EDIT: If anyones device is showing my photos as really large or all different sizes, please let me know, as I have two devices (phone and tablet) that show these pics as being fine, but my laptop shows some of them as extra large and others as correct?

Last edited:

Again Bowtie,
just Amazing Work there!! :drool:

Man, I enjoy of your build threads and pictures!!

Top notch build Jeff!

:beer:

BobMc

I so love this EDC’s builds. They always makes me :drool: Very nicely done BTG! That’s some really sweet work. Great pics also.

(Tried to rep you but that communist is back in charge. :crackup:)

Last edited:
(Tried to rep you but that communist is back in charge. :crackup:)

Yeah, I'm also having those damn messages lately! :crackup:

So, +rep to Bowtie when I'm allowed

Last edited:
Jeff, it sure has been a long time coming. I’ve been wondering when you’d get to this one. Nice clean work man!! I like how you modded the module and backshell. Very nice and excellent diode choice.
Thx too for the shout!!

SGD :beer:

PS here’s a knurled FA Rich gave me included with my first HS purchase from him. What an really nice guy he is.

Edit: +Rep
Forgot that part :D

Attachments

• CAB18D4C-EE37-43CE-82DC-F31FE9849754.jpeg
    CAB18D4C-EE37-43CE-82DC-F31FE9849754.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Another great build and great documentation showing it. In the one pic showing your cars in the garage, is that a 1960 something (64-65?) Nova on the left?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks AD, Bob, thanhtung, I appreciate your comments! :beer:

@Bob and AD, have to watch those guys! :eg:

@SGD, I know you've been wondering when I'd finally get around to this. You just reminded me to add links to yours and CynicalBrads mentions, so I just did, now people can access them without a search.
As it turned out, I really didn't need to mod the back half, because I ended up using a short S-mini driver in place of the originally planned and longer nano which I damaged.

That brass focus adapter is beautiful, looks real good on that pen!

Encap

Great photos--clean work--very nice solid small host.

Glad it turned out so well :gj: :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Another great build and great documentation showing it. In the one pic showing your cars in the garage, is that a 1960 something (64-65?) Nova on the left?

Thank you, Bruce. :yh:
Good eyes, you're real close, it's a 1967 NovaSS.

@Encaap and Gazen, really appreciate the kind words, I like this host also, it's something a little different that you don't see everyday.

Hi BT,
Now thats a pen great job I like those smaller builds with the right WL good choice buddy. Do another one this one came out awesome..

Rich:)

Very nice build as usual. The sandblasted focusing ring and custom adapter are a very nice touch.

Hi BT, Send me a measurement OD and ill machine one for you, What material do you prefer??

Rich:)

Beautiful build and great review, BTG! I owe you a +Rep, as I’m currently unable to do it. Thanks again and Take Care. :D

-cd