Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Strange PHR diode... please comment!

ZAKON

Hello guys,

I would like you to give me some comments about my phr because it works really higher than it's known about phr diodes....

I bought it from modwerx and I use a great heat sink ("Lab style" heatsink for 12mm laser modules) from the same eshop.

The driver I use is a rckstr... and here is the strange thing (having in mind the known info about phr's abilities):

I started by adjusting the mA for the first two days at 150mA, everything ok...
3d days I adjusted the mA to 210mA..... and after two weeks of "really heavy" use it's still working perfectly without any degradation!

It burns through a cd case in 3 secs (perfectly focused) !

And I use 2x9V alkaline batteries!

Please tell me your opinion.... is there a possibility that the diode I got was other than (better) phr?

I'm thinking of pushing it farther!

* (I've never had it "on" more than 3 minutes)

daguin

Hello guys,
I would like you to give me some comments about my phr because it works really higher than it's known about phr diodes....
I bought it from modwerx and I use a great heat sink ("Lab style" heatsink for 12mm laser modules) from the same eshop.
The driver I use is a rckstr... and here is the strange thing (having in mind the known info about phr's abilities):
I started by adjusting the mA for the first two days at 150mA, everything ok...
3d days I adjusted the mA to 210mA..... and after two weeks of "really heavy" use it's still working perfectly without any degradation!
It burns through a cd case in 3 secs (perfectly focused) !
And I use 2x9V alkaline batteries!
Please tell me your opinion.... is there a possibility that the diode I got was other than (better) phr?
I'm thinking of pushing it farther!

* (I've never had it "on" more than 3 minutes)

< sniffs the air >

Peace,
dave

... and what does that mean?

You asked him to comment, he did so. Cyptically.

As for the diode, just because you cannot see it degrading, doesn't mean it isn't/hasn't. 18V would burn up your driver pretty fast, and I doubt that diode has much longer to live, if it really is running at 210mA.

Zakon;

It is possible that your PHR is working at 210ma.

The reason that others are skeptical, is that it is 100% higher than normal operating current.

Just insure that the 9V batteries are actually delivering 210ma,
with an accurate multimeter between the batteries and the driver.

Then try to keep accurate notes of actual operating time.

The larger heatsink is helping keep the operating temperature down,
so that is one factor that is helping.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
Sounds like good luck, but I would not push it harder. Just my USD $0.02 worth! -Glenn

ZAKON

Zakon;

It is possible that your PHR is working at 210ma.

The reason that others are skeptical, is that it is 100% higher than normal operating current.

Just insure that the 9V batteries are actually delivering 210ma,
with a good multimeter between the batteries and the driver.

Then try to keep accurate notes of actual operating time.

The larger heatsink is helping keep the operating temperature down,
so that is one factor that is helping.

LarryDFW

Thank you really for the normal answer LarryDFW !

The thing is that I'm not a little kid to come here and say lies, that's too childish for me. (that's not my answer to LarryDFW but generally).

I gave you the real info and I was just wondering how is that possible, like everyone else! Because when I say "heavy use" I mean exactly what I say... and a regular phr diode would have been died the first day with that current. and I'm asking in this forums because I've seen many professional answers to other members.

Another one strange fact is that this diode at 210mA burns stuff and holes in cd cases FASTER than my previous GGW at 220mA (3 seconds for phr and over 5-6 seconds for my previous GGW). * The phr is installed in the same setup where my GGW was.

So maybe there is really a possibility that it's somehow a different diode than regular well known phr's .

Please understand my position because I'm not trying to tell any lies or to confuse anyone, I just want to know a real opinion.

is 210mA the current to the diode or the total current @ 18V (and did I hear that right, you have to use 18V for your driver? BR Vf's are usually around 5V, right?)

ZAKON

is 210mA the current to the diode or the total current @ 18V (and did I hear that right, you have to use 18V for your driver? BR Vf's are usually around 5V, right?)

It's the exact current to the diode, I use 2x9V because 1x9V works ok only about 2 days (Energiser Alcaline ultra).

With 2x9V it's stable for a long time!

Also you should realize that how long it takes to burn a CD case does not directly correlate with power output. It may be related but the only way to tell if the power is higher than normal PHR's is to measure it with a power meter.

It sounds like your PHR likes taking a beating, I agree with scopeguy, leave it as it is.

-Kendall

18V would burn up your driver pretty fast, and I doubt that diode has much longer to live, if it really is running at 210mA.

I think he means 2 9V batteries in parallel: still 9V to the driver (a fine value for a rkcstr) but able to deliver twice the current than a single 9V battery. Which is good, because those little rectangular 9Vs can sag pretty fast.

Also you should realize that how long it takes to burn a CD case does not directly correlate with power output. It may be related but the only way to tell if the power is higher than normal PHR's is to measure it with a power meter.

It sounds like your PHR likes taking a beating, I agree with scopeguy, leave it as it is.

-Kendall

Agreed.

This PHR may have higher efficiency than the GGW, which would lead to higher output power initially, but expect noticeable degradation within a few hours of use.

For example, the SF-AW diodes are generally less reliable at high currents than the GGWs, but I have gotten higher power from SF-AW diodes than GGWs at the same current.

PHRs in the past, were routinely pushed past 200ma. However, most of those have died since then. Some have been proven to be tough, and others broke like premature weaklings. In this, they are just like any other diode, different from every other that is.

ZAKON

I think he means 2 9V batteries in parallel: still 9V to the driver (a fine value for a rkcstr) but able to deliver twice the current than a single 9V battery. Which is good, because those little rectangular 9Vs can sag pretty fast.

Exactly! I mean 2x9V in parallel!

Now things are becoming more clear :thanks:

I'll leave it as it is then... because I don't want to destroy it, I like it as it is now, and as another member said.. It seems that I'm lucky :)

Last edited: