Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

StoneTek  SLD1239JL Diodes

MB500

Wow that looks great. Looks like about 300mA would be good for 200mW. I might have to make another DIY red laser.

Benm

I'm a bit confused about the type numbers really, but they came from senkat a few months ago, so i figured they are the same you tested. But i've ran them at 300 mA or so at some point as well, so i was more surprised about the number of hours you put on them than than about them working at all as these currents.

As I understand things, the -54 is a lower power diode than the part without the -54 suffix (180 vs 250 mW pulse power rating), but i could well be wrong.

chido

Re: StoneTek  SLD1239JL Diodes

I think you got diodes from the bad batch, SenKat announced he was selling these new diodes just a few days ago.
I ordered a diode from him back in December and after I got my goggles a few weeks ago I decided to play around with it.
I set the current to 150mA and played around with it for a long time, since I wasn't using a heatsink I used a 1 min on 1 min off duty cycle and the diode died after about 30 mins. of use. :'( So I guess that one turned out to be another diode from the bad batch.

Benm

That must be it.. i'm a bit confused about the part numbers though..

is this right?:

SLD1236VL = good batch originally
SLD1236VL-54 = bad batch after that

SLD1239JL-54 = what's reviewed here now, better than both above (??)
SLD1239JL = not available

Now I'm confused over the numbers. The samples I got from SenKat a month ago were not labeled as -54 anything. I reported on the PN which he provided. I assumed the -54 meant something to his ordering from the vendor. I've never seen a dash anything on the diodes and in fact, they are only numbered with a date code.

Mike

chido

Well, according to this datasheet the diodes from the bad batch were marked "JL" and they were SLD1236VL-54 diodes.
And if this is the datasheet of the new diodes they should be marked "KL."
Mike, was your diode marked "KL"?

kaunak

so do you think this diode will be better for mini mag mods?

kaunak said:
so do you think this diode will be better for mini mag mods?

sorry, im sure you've heard this before, but a mini mag will leave you diode-less very quickly, why you would spend $20 on something that you know aint gonna last long? This is a simple mod that will provide you with a long life and good power. Here's a long instructional video showing you how to make it so theres no reason that you can't make one. http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1120132/diy_dorcy_burning_red_laser/

Can I just add a resistor like the dorcy guy did... 6Ohm resistor comming off my positive lead and find a way to put that on my mini mag?

NOOOOOOOOo... GET A DRIVER AND DO NOT USE A MINIMAG IF YOU DON'T WANT IT TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT STRESs THIS ENOUGH!

Benm

Hemlock Mike said:
Now I'm confused over the numbers.  The samples I got from SenKat a month ago were not labeled as -54 anything.  I reported on the PN which he provided.  I assumed the -54 meant something to his ordering from the vendor.  I've never seen a dash anything on the diodes and in fact, they are only numbered with a date code.

The -54 marking isnt actually on the diode, nor do the markings on the diode match the part number in the datasheet... that is what makes it all so confusing. If they'd just stamp 36VL on a SLD1236VL diode it would all be clear, but they use a very creative marking system instead.

It works like this:

#xYY
####

Where #x is a year/month stamp (e.g. 5A for january 2005), the bottom #### is a batch number, and YY are to letters that should identify the actual type of the diode. To make matters worse, series with different power levels have the same 2 letters in their type number: http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol37/pdf/sld1236vl.pdf
So a 1233VL is a 4 speed diode, and a 1236VL a 16 speed.. all ending in VL.

Benm --

Glad you understand ;D I knew there was a date code in there and a batch/lot number of some kind.

Mike

couldn't you do this to get a ok life.get a mini mag get a long open can get 2 ni mhs and a cap.(i won't do this.)