Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyder Arctic Laser Mini Prototype

Hi Folks ,

A pleasure to meet you , i'm 3DLaSeRBuiLDeR :yh:

Work with the 3D prints, and are passionate about laser ! Below you will post photos of a project ,using the technique of "fusion polycasting" or policasting , you can get the piece fully aluminum T06 or aluminum alloy.

Let me know your opinions !

dhcx94.jpg

5u2zvr.jpg

BobMc

3D printed hosts.? There is a couple other members here that do 3D printing for parts and hosts. Could be promising, looking forward to see what you come up with? Best wishes ,:thinking: :)

Thx so much BobMc ,

Anyway, I reiterate the fact that , in the hands of an expert in the field of fusion , you can achieve it in real aluminum/steel/copper/etc I also have in mind other projects ,
I'm glad to know that inside of LPF,
There are other 3D Printers :yh:
Anyway if I can be helpful to this forum/community ,

Please let me know !

BobMc

The host that you pictured is nice, but if your serious about selling three printed host in aluminum/cooper/steel you might want to show how they come apart for the mounting of the pill and contact board. Also a few different styles. You never know you might get a few takers. Never hurts to try. Will be watching. :)

That is, do you want me to print this, Mini projects in the Arctic are different colors ? color aluminum or copper ? or just individual parts ?

BobMc

That is, do you want me to print this, Mini projects in the Arctic are different colors ? color aluminum or copper ? or just individual parts ?

"I" don't want you to do anything. It's what you want, I'm just trying to help. You put forth you wanted to be a host/printer/builder/seller. It's what you want. Best wishes :)

Last edited:

Encap

The thing you posted a picture of is not a handheld laser host just a very rough externally shaped 3D printed plastic thing.
As is, the picture is interesting in a meaningless way whether you like it or not, because it is a 3D printed thing that looks like a cartoon version of an Spyder 3 Arctic but it is not of any use in buliding a handheld laser.
You need to produce a fully developed functional in the real world cost effective laser host.

When you actually have built a functional handheld laser of an Al or Cu metal --a real and functional host you have designed and produced--not colored, not of plastic 3D printed--come and post all about it including any CAD images and files, all laser tests, and parts used details .
If it is as good as and lower cost than the host would be if fabricated by any other method---some people may be interested in it.

Until then good luck.

Here is a real world example: a serious effort that worked out very well producing a great RGB 3 beam combining laser by an LPF member using CAD and 3D printing.
See here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/arctic-s-open-source-rgb-laser-host-99595.html

Last edited:
I understand , first of all, THANKS for the help you are providing me is BobMC that you Encap , well ,of course I only "printed" the project crude still..! so I know that is complete in everything and for everything ...! anyway, wonderful work of the Arctic Dude ...so it means that the 3D printing plan plan can or will be able to replace the machining of aluminium on the lathe for hours and hours to achieve the host laser ! The board/question that I would like to ask you : if I can do a complete project , such as the Arctic Dude , there is the possibility to sell these "laserpointer" whereas, as just mentioned above it is plastic yes , but it is extruded at 230°C then once it is cooled it becomes hard and solid ! then it depends on what in jargon is called "infill" I usually use a "infill" to 100% so they become very hard , not for nothing that the PLA is defined as "similar to iron" :- ) another thing , once you have created a complete project , it will only be possible to adopt laser diodes equal to 500mw ? the PLA at 60°C starts to deform and melt !

Let me know ! and thx again

BobMc

I understand , first of all, THANKS for the help you are providing me is BobMC that you Encap , well ,of course I only "printed" the project crude still..! so I know that is complete in everything and for everything ...! anyway, wonderful work of the Arctic Dude ...so it means that the 3D printing plan plan can or will be able to replace the machining of aluminium on the lathe for hours and hours to achieve the host laser ! The board/question that I would like to ask you : if I can do a complete project , such as the Arctic Dude , there is the possibility to sell these "laserpointer" whereas, as just mentioned above it is plastic yes , but it is extruded at 230°C then once it is cooled it becomes hard and solid ! then it depends on what in jargon is called "infill" I usually use a "infill" to 100% so they become very hard , not for nothing that the PLA is defined as "similar to iron" :- ) another thing , once you have created a complete project , it will only be possible to adopt laser diodes equal to 500mw ? the PLA at 60°C starts to deform and melt !

If you were to mass produce a unit like the one Arctic built I'm guessing you would have quite a few people interested. Sign me up. :)

Encap

Right now you have nothing. I seriously doubt anyone is going to want a plastc host only good for low output laser diode on a cold day.
What is the thermal conductivity of PLA? Compare it to the thermal conductivity of Silver, Copper, and Aluminium

If you some day have a fully engineered and functional metal host for sale or a completed hand held laser---there may be interest or may not be depending on many factors.
Is impossible to say--nothing with nothing is still nothing--there is nothing you are offering that is real or worth discussion yet--having a 3D printer is nothing special these days--it is all that goes before using and after using the printer that makes a difference--that means something
Right now all you have is a daydream and people don't buy/fund daydreams, gnerally speaking, of people that are unknown to them and have no track record or history of any kind.

If you made some really excellent and well proven hosts you probably could sell a few. There are a lot of host makers that sell hosts and do a great job associated with LPF and many members also make their own.

Have you ever done anything notable with a 3D printer--if so lets see it and explain why.
Have you ever made a laser host?
Have you ever built a hand held laser?
Do you know how to fully engineer a hand held laser ?
Have you ever owned a hand held laser of any kind built by anyone?

PS Please enter your location into your LPF profile and perhaps make a post in the welcome section about yourself

Last edited:
I know well the difference between a laser pointer aluminum and a plastic one 3D , and it I have a couple,plus 4 laser modules powered with dc
(in response to Encap) .
My work is based on the prints 3D ,so I do NOT have nor laser forms blank nor laser diodes in bulk nor laser driver or contact board , all I can offer is only the host, blank printed in high resolution, maybe I can drill holes acts to be able to insert a laser module 5.6 mm or 9mm ,then it is clear that all the rest have to buy the person to whom I sell the host !!!! .

All here !!!!!

Encap

I know well the difference between a laser pointer aluminum and a plastic one 3D , and it I have a couple,plus 4 laser modules powered with dc
(in response to Encap) .
My work is based on the prints 3D ,so I do NOT have nor laser forms blank nor laser diodes in bulk nor laser driver or contact board , all I can offer is only the host, blank printed in high resolution, maybe I can drill holes acts to be able to insert a laser module 5.6 mm or 9mm ,then it is clear that all the rest have to buy the person to whom I sell the host !!!! .

All here !!!!!

OK so you are not a laser builder, that is just pretend, and at this point you have nothing to sell that is or would be of any interest here because you do not have the knowledge of or ability to make one!!!!
Nobody on this forum will buy solid 3D prints that are useless in/for making a hand held laser!!
Is not possible to take/extract money from members here on that basis.

Firstly, you can't offer anything for sale here except in the But, Sell, & Trade subforum and all posts there must be approved and comply with the rules to post there. or you can not post there.

You have little if any idea of what is needed in any real world design of a hand held laser apparently.
There are no modules that are 5.6mm or 9mm just bare diodes which can not be used even in a metal hand held laser without a real module which is 12mm minimum and many other parts to be able to make a functional hand held laser.

As a first step, if you ever realize/make a hand held laser pointer, post pictures of it, all details of the bulid amd testing results and members here will comment.

You would be better off attempting to sell 3D printed plastic items in any a field you have real knowledge of and about for whatever other purpose.

PS Your English is not good & hard to understand. What Country are you in or where are you from?
Please enter your location into your LPF profile and make a post to introduce yourself in the welcome section.

Last edited:

Grix

I'm sure people would be interested if the price is acceptable, but you definitely need to create a fully working prototype first. Plastic only host would not be good for any power to speak of, only aluminium. And you would need to not only accommodate the laser module but various other electronics such as the switch and contact surfaces like encap mentioned.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding, are you trying to sell this?

I don't see any working product, even your idea seems very vague. You can't use plastic for a host, at least for high powered lasers. The heat from the diode would melt the plastic, and you won't be able to carry a case signal along the pointer. I don't know how well plastic threading would work for something like this.

Do you have any ways of fabricating this out of any metal? Sure 3D printing can be used for prototyping, creating a design and feeling it and looking at it without going through all the trouble of fabing it to see if it works out, that's what I do with a lot of my host designs. A 3D printer can come in extremely handy for prototyping and design.

Often do I used 3D printed objects for contact board insulation and insulated custom fit spacers in my hosts.

Encap

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding, are you trying to sell this?

I don't see any working product, even your idea seems very vague. You can't use plastic for a host, at least for high powered lasers. The heat from the diode would melt the plastic, and you won't be able to carry a case signal along the pointer. I don't know how well plastic threading would work for something like this.

Do you have any ways of fabricating this out of any metal? Sure 3D printing can be used for prototyping, creating a design and feeling it and looking at it without going through all the trouble of fabing it to see if it works out, that's what I do with a lot of my host designs. A 3D printer can come in extremely handy for prototyping and design.

Often do I used 3D printed objects for contact board insulation and insulated custom fit spacers in my hosts.

Exactly the point. The thing in the picture he posted that looks like 3D printed plastic cartoon version of a WL Spyder host external shape is not good for anything but door stop.

If he actually makes a fully functional, metal host, hand held laser some day based on one of his 3D print modelings/prototype external shape only designs, maybe he will post some pictures of it, build details, parts details, and test results here on LPF.

If he is trying to sell anything and it seems like that is what he wants to do, he will have to post in the Buy, Sell, & Trade subforum according to the rules of that subforum.

Last edited:
I understood everything ...!

Thank you for the valuable advice....! therefore, in order to build a laser (possibly) to sell, there is a need to have many components ,which, unfortunately, I do not own ! nor I can buy ,because they cost a bang...!
I apologize if I have been so intrusive....
I know that it's better that I dedicate myself to my work of 3D printing and that's it ! here, I will go just to admire Your beautiful projects laser of high power !

Best Regards