Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spirograph. help please :P

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date
Hallucynogenyc;

Thanks for the recommendation. I talked to ReNNo & suggested acrylic mirrors, since he wanted to drill them.

I would put a collar on the shaft, grind it at the angle you wanted, & epoxy the mirror to the flat surface.

I build my spiros on 12 VDC 40mm computer fans:
mirror.jpg

The mirrors are 1.5" Minolta optical grade FS glass.
They have higher reflectivity (98%).
I like a larger mirror surface so that I can aim two different beams at the same spiro.
Like Roger, I run the first mirror at a fixed speed and vary the second motor.
They require the larger motor for handling the weight, but the assembly will last longer.

LarryDFW

P.S. You can also get 5VDC fans.

Last edited:

ReNNo

It got you searching though didn't it? ;)

Now those mirrors you linked to, good find...I have saved the seller for future reference.

You said mirros are 2mm and 3mm? .... I could find 2cm and 3cm, he also does 1cm which is ideal for the first bounce, 2cm should be good for the second. these motors will handle that size as long as they are well centred.

Regards rog8811
Yes, centimeters, not millimeters, sorry.

First and second bounce doesn't require big mirror.
But what is about third bounce?

@LarryDFW.
Mounting Minolta mirror on fan is great idea.
It's easier to mount mirror and to mount fan into case.

But I have already ordered pager motors.

I don' know.
Maybe I should order 3x 40mm fans from DX for $6 and buy Minolta mirrors from you.
It's cheapest and easiest way to make spiro.

I'll contact you on PM about mirrors.
Thanks again LarryDFW.

D

Deleted member 8382

I'm gonna use this mirrors on the pager motors, just cutting them a bit and making a 1mm hole :D

ReNNo

I would be worried about vibrations.
Small motors can't absorb vibrations from these big mirrors.
It's just my thought...didn't try it yet.

D

Deleted member 8382

I would be worried about vibrations.
Small motors can't absorb vibrations from these big mirrors.
It's just my thought...didn't try it yet.
ye but, I'll cut them in a perfect square, this way i can easyly find the mass center and there won't be any vibartion :D

Hallucynogenyc;

I have cut them in half to work on smaller motors.

Scribe them with a carbide cutter. clamp them between two pieces of wood and break.

LarryDFW

D

Deleted member 8382

My idea was to put the mirror and a round mold used for cooking in the clamp and to make as many force as needed to get a perfect round mirror. The mirrors are the ones showed in the pic before? I thought they were squared :p

D

Deleted member 8382

Okay, I got the mirrors today and they are made of glass. i cuted them with a glass cutter, but now I can't imagine how to atach them to the pager motors. It seems imposible to make a hole on them...

Cut some plastic discs, drill them for the motor shafts and stick them in place, then stick the mirrors to the plastic;)

Regards rog8811

Or just use crazy glue an no plastic disc?^^

Edit: Also Renno, I forgot to tell you but, I shipped out the PS3 sled a while ago. :) Hope you get it soon (I have no idea how long it'll take. Also, I didn't pay for tracking, because I think it would've cost a lot more.

Last edited:
Okay, I got the mirrors today and they are made of glass. i cuted them with a glass cutter, but now I can't imagine how to atach them to the pager motors. It seems imposible to make a hole on them...

I use blobs of hot glue on the motor leg and the back of the mirror, holds it on great.

Morgan

I used an epoxy putty called, "Milliput". You can find it at model shops. It comes in two sausages, (sounds weird but that's how it comes!!! :)), and you mash equal amounts together and wait for it to set, (2 hours to complete hardness, depending on which grade you choose). It's good for a couple of reasons. 1 is that, like clay, you can just poke a hole in it when soft or drill it when hard. 2 is that, if you place a small disc on the back of your mirror, you can then sand it when the mirror is spinning to, "balance", it.

@ Rog and H. I think that if you can control the speed of the first mirror, you are able to change the pattern from a flower shape to a star shape. I have not built a completely variable setup as yet but have noticed that when I kill the power to my motors, just before they stop there is a five pointed star. I think the patterns relate to the, "Coreolis Effect", (almost definitely spelt wrong!!!), but I haven't had the time to do much research lately. Need to get a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Well, actually, I might have one lined up, and all because of that, "2 mirror spiro in a cute box", inspired by you Rog! I owe you, and LPF quite a bit if I nail it. Sorry, but you can't have a percentage!!! Some paperwork and hoops to jump through yet but I'll keep you posted :))

M
:)

D

Deleted member 8382

I've designed a mad idea. Using clothes wood clamps. I cut small pieces of wood and then make a 1mm hole on them. This will stick easy to the motor and to the mirror with cyanocrilate.

Good idea?

ReNNo

Edit: Also Renno, I forgot to tell you but, I shipped out the PS3 sled a while ago. :) Hope you get it soon (I have no idea how long it'll take. Also, I didn't pay for tracking, because I think it would've cost a lot more.

That is fine.
Thanks a lot.

I've designed a mad idea. Using clothes wood clamps. I cut small pieces of wood and then make a 1mm hole on them. This will stick easy to the motor and to the mirror with cyanocrilate.

Good idea?

As long as they are well balanced, vibrations will spoil the effect...just a thought... super glue on wood? I am not sure how well that would work as the wood will soak it up...maybe

Regards rog8811

D

Deleted member 8382

I've finnaly used wood squares. The method I'm gonna describe seems like a shit but I can ensure you the results are really good, I'll post a video when I get it finished.

You take wood sqares with a size similar to the mirrors. Wood is easy to cut so no problems here. Make sure the wood is at least 1cm depht or you will have problems later.

Make a cross with a pen on it to find the center and make a 2mm hole there. Why 2mm?? you will see later.

Glue the mirror with the wood square making sure its centred. Now fill the hole with superglue and wait one or two minutes. While this time passes get a paper and make a 1mm hole and put the motor aixiz in it. This will avoid glue gas to go inside the motor and ruining it.

At this point the glue seems like semi-liquid. Now put the motor aixiz inside and wait another minute.

Now it's the time for the magic trick. t put the motor in his position and turn on it on, start with low voltage, 1V~. Althought it doesn't seem posible the mirror will start spinning with almost no vibration. Now increase the voltage to 4V and let it spin like this until there is no vibration apreciable. Now put the voltage down againg to 1-2V, it must be enough to keep the mirror spinning fast but the motor must not burn so beware of the hot on it.

After 10 minutes or so you can turn it down and carefully put it on a desk with the mirror down. ready to go.

What happened? The glue started to get solid and it glued the motor with the wood. Then you made it spin fast, and as the glue wasn't 100% solid it allowed the aixiz to go in the exact place where no vibration is, centripete force (don't know is this is well said).

Then with the last spinning sesion, it went solid 100% while keeping all in place.

I never thought It could be that easy, i thought the glue was gonna get inside the wood, or that the mirror wouldn't stick properly, or that at the point where it got stick it would alredy be 100% solid, but as I had 4 motors and needed only 3 (purchased the last one just for testing) I tried and succeed.

I'm gonna post a guide maybe, the only hard thing I needed at all was the mirror cutter, which I purchased for 4€, so no complications with making holes, epoxy, blablalba :D

Yours,
Albert