Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan 589- *problem solved*

Not true. Mine is underspec (does about 30mW) and he refused to replace it. The full story is linked on my sig.

There was also rhd's underspec, and he got ripped off when he attempted a refund (which is why I didn't go for the refund).

My theory is that several different people have gone by the name Adam over the years. Some are helpful and others aren't.

Seeing how much Hap values perfectness and customer service I would never suggest him to buy one.

Yeah, that last line is key! I decided to just get a 650nm PL-E from JetLasers. Gray is SUPER friendly and answered all my emails in <30mins.

I'll wait until the 589nm mess gets sorted out between CNI :/

-Alex

Razako

Not true. Mine is underspec (does about 30mW) and he refused to replace it. The full story is linked on my sig.

There was also rhd's underspec, and he got ripped off when he attempted a refund (which is why I didn't go for the refund).

My theory is that several different people have gone by the name Adam over the years. Some are helpful and others aren't.

Seeing how much Hap values perfectness and customer service I would never suggest him to buy one.
Add mine to the list too. Seems like the pump diode in it went zombie mode or something. Output dropped by like 90% despite the laser otherwise working fine. Currently waiting on DL to reply to my email about the situation.

Last edited:
It's a real pity how few choices we have in buying yellow lasers...

Indeed! Actually, yellow wavelengths seem to be the only ones we really have trouble with. 532 DPSS has no problem at all, and 473 DPSS has pretty much been perfected now, even capable of reaching 100mW's without a problem!

CNI pretty much controls the yellow handheld market :(

-Alex

It's primarily because most companies are not willing to sacrifice that much money to make a pointer. The market is way too small, not many sell and are too expensive, and it's not cost-effective and they just die... generally quite quickly. Especially when they have limited use to begin with. the lab lasers are coming down in price and getting more cost effective in lower powers, but the cost is prohibitive to a hobbyist.

It's primarily because most companies are not willing to sacrifice that much money to make a pointer. The market is way too small, not many sell and are too expensive, and it's not cost-effective and they just die... generally quite quickly. Especially when they have limited use to begin with. the lab lasers are coming down in price and getting more cost effective in lower powers, but the cost is prohibitive to a hobbyist.

*sigh* I guess so :(

Sucks yellow is not used as much, but then again I'm sure it would be the same for all the wavelengths. Imagine if yellow had as much uses as 650nm red & 650nm red was considered as rare as 589nm, strange world....

I won't be getting a yellow for awhile it seems. Like said before, don't want to spend $400 only to then spend weeks getting a new one. I'll stick to the wavelengths which have been perfected: 405/447/473/532/635/650

:yh:

-Alex

Last edited:
I suppose. Now that DPSS yellow is actually coming down in price it's actually invaded the region of cheapness that even helium neon could only provide. Yellow HeNes are starting to disappear just like orange now.

Last edited:

Pman

I'm really confused Hap as it sounded like you were ordering a 589nm and now it doesnt. Must add golden yellow orange to the mix of colors a 589nm can look like. Know that from a bunch of people commenting on what color mine looked like one night last summer shining it over a lake where half the people said it looked more orange than yellow and in that instance I definately would agree.
I am very interested in the Jet 650nm you are getting and seeing some pics. Don't know if you have taken a look at the 650nm thread I started but we've found 2 options for a 1W one. There's the Jet one I found because I saw you mention a 150mW one and there's also a laserbtb one (now labeled as 660nm which is why i missed it but also that wavelength is more accurate according to Cyp who says they are really 655-660 and there's really not a 650nm). I own the laserbtb one and took a few pics to show the spot as it is way nicer than the Oclaro or Mits class 4 diodes. I'm pretty positive they use c-mount diodes. A shame most members who want class 4 lasers don't have one in comparison to the 638nm out there. The color looks much closer to red to me than the slightly orange 638nm.
My Spartan 589nm jumps all over too but theres never a point where I don't see the beam.

Last edited:

Razako

I am building up a collection but don't use them much. Should I use them at some minimum 'rate'? Why would lack of use contribute to failure?
I think lack of use is only harmful to gas lasers. Argons will have the tube go bad or something like that.

Last edited:
I'm really confused Hap as it sounded like you were ordering a 589nm and now it doesnt. Must add golden yellow orange to the mix of colors a 589nm can look like. Know that from a bunch of people commenting on what color mine looked like one night last summer shining it over a lake where half the people said it looked more orange than yellow and in that instance I definately would agree.
I am very interested in the Jet 650nm you are getting and seeing some pics. Don't know if you have taken a look at the 650nm thread I started but we've found 2 options for a 1W one. There's the Jet one I found because I saw you mention a 150mW one and there's also a laserbtb one (now labeled as 660nm which is why i missed it but also that wavelength is more accurate according to Cyp who says they are really 655-660 and there's really not a 650nm). I own the laserbtb one and took a few pics to show the spot as it is way nicer than the Oclaro or Mits class 4 diodes. I'm pretty positive they use c-mount diodes. A shame most members who want class 4 lasers don't have one in comparison to the 638nm out there. The color looks much closer to red to me than the slightly orange 638nm.
My Spartan 589nm jumps all over too but theres never a point where I don't see the beam.

Hey Pamn,

Yes I was considering yellow from Dragon Lasers but it seems like their units haven't been up to my standards lol. I am kind of like Chicxulub when it comes to my lasers. I need great customer service, and a unit which performs with the least amount of problems. Seeing all the talk about people's problems with their 589 Spartans so decided to skip it *for now*
:)

-Alex

I am building up a collection but don't use them much. Should I use them at some minimum 'rate'? Why would lack of use contribute to failure?

I meant Limited industrial uses-as in useful applications. DPSS lasers generally don't deteriorate with non-use if built well.

I think lack of use is only harmful to gas lasers. Argons will have the tube go bad or something like that.

Yes. Depends on a variety of factors though.

diachi

Some of the argon gets "burnt" into the walls of the tube under normal use and initial construction. When not used for long periods of time the argon can leak back out of the walls which causes the pressure to increase which in turn makes igniting the plasma more difficult. You can often get them started with an Oudin coil - once it's started you run it at high current for a good while - usually several hours - to bake some of the gas back in and bring the pressure down.

I own the laserbtb one and took a few pics to show the spot as it is way nicer than the Oclaro or Mits class 4 diodes. I'm pretty positive they use c-mount diodes.

Do you mean the 1W one? I'd like to see those pics. I'd really dig a high power red with a better dot.