Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan 589- *problem solved*

Yikes, that's not good. I sent Adam an email asking if he could confirm that if I ordered a 50mW 589 Spartan it would be stable(I know, 589 is incredibly unstable) and that I would meet 50mW as sold specs.

I got this for a reply:
Spartan 589nm is the worst of power stability and beam profile compare to all of our other lasers.

I am afraid that you will not satisfied with its performance.

Should I risk it?

-Alex

All I can tell you is that the example I have is absolutely stunning to me. The video I posted from Gre3n showing it running for 5 minutes is a good show of how mine performs and it performs the same way every time I turn it on to my eyes. For me it became my instant favorite. My Spartan has a divergence of 1.312mRad and peaks at 107mW and honestly for what it is I think the beam is fine and even as its power varies widely it always appears very bright to my eyes. Yes it is unstable but as it mode hops and varies in power output all the while it is a beautiful glowing and glittering ray of sunshine in the palm of your hand. I vote for you to try it out, I mean you can return it if you don't like it under their 7 day guarantee. Well, whatever decision you make, go with your gut. If you don't feel comfortable or confident you will be happy, don't do it. Good luck with your decision. :beer:

Razako

Well now I seem to be having issues with mine:cryyy: It's like the output has just gone way down for no apparent reason. I haven't abused the laser, dropped it or ever left it on for more than 2-3 minutes.

Just yesterday it was working fine until I noticed the output dropping off while I was pointing it around outside at night. I thought "oh must be the battery", so today I tried putting in a fresh AW 18650 and the problem remains. It used to start weak and then have a strong peak at which point the laser could melt thin black plastic. Now it seems to be putting out 3-10mw judging by how bright the dot it. It's about as bright as my 5mw lyra now. Doesn't matter how long I leave it on, the output doesn't go back up. The laser just gets warm and continues putting out 3-10 mw.
Will post a video soon showing the problem. Nothing against dragon lasers(it's not their fault and the laser worked fine when I got it), but these CNI 589 units seem to have some reliability and QC issues.

Last edited:
Adams been telling people that for like five years, and he's right. These things fluctuate wildly in their output, with most getting about a minute of peak-ish power once the crystals are warmed up. Obey th duty cycle and it'll treat you good in that regard.

Adam is covering his but against people who expect these to be as stable and reliable as, say, a 50mW 637. I sometimes don't think that he realizes that he's talking to people who are familiar with these lasers and what they can do.

Historically though, we've only seen two examples of "bad" 50mW Spartans: mine and one that went to another member (whose name I can't remember now) that was almost certainly a Spartan-5 instead of a Spartan-50 based on the way it performed.

My laser wasn't even that bad. I've said before and I'll say again now, I suspect that many members here would have been perfectly fine with it. I simply want my 589 as the crown jewel of my collection, so I looked at it with a far more critical eye than I would have most lasers.

Razako

Video showing my issue. This is my spartan being shown side by side with my laserglow 5mw lyra. At MAX it gets to be slightly brighter than the lyra and that's already going into the 2+ minute mark. A fresh-off-the-charger quality 18650 measured at 4.2 volts was used in this test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1iSzV7kUG0

Thank you guys. I think I'll just go ahead and purchase one and see how it operates.

Has anyone gotten an LPM graph with the laser? Do you need to test it yourself?

-Alex

Thank you guys. I think I'll just go ahead and purchase one and see how it operates.

-Alex

Everything that I've ever ordered from DL has been (apparently) untested.

-Alex

If I remember correctly, I think there was a post some time ago that someone asked DL about that and they said that they don't individually meter a unit for a customer. I have not heard of anyone receiving a power graph with their spartan.

Everything that I've ever ordered from DL has been (apparently) untested.

If I remember correctly, I think there was a post some time ago that someone asked DL about that and they said that they don't individually meter a unit for a customer. I have not heard of anyone receiving a power graph with their spartan.

Thank you guys,

Hm..... I know going by brightness isn't a good way to determine power, but gosh darn I really don't want to have to send it to a member, but it seems like I'll need to.

I'll ask Adam if he can meter mine for me, if he can't then I'll need to send it to someone *sigh*

-Alex

Thank you guys,

Hm..... I know going by brightness isn't a good way to determine power, but gosh darn I really don't want to have to send it to a member, but it seems like I'll need to.

I'll ask Adam if he can meter mine for me, if he can't then I'll need to send it to someone *sigh*

-Alex

A Laserbee-A is $189. You've got over half of that already just in the money left over from your Aquarius after you buy the Spartan...

A Laserbee-A is $189. You've got over half of that already just in the money left over from your Aquarius after you buy the Spartan...

Noooooooooo.

I'll be getting around $520 back from the Aqarius, and the Spartan will cost me around $449 :eek:

So excited to get mine!

Edit: I think I'll buy a laserbee LPM after getting my Spartan :)

-Alex

Last edited:

diachi

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Dude, Int'l shipping ain't cheap. If you were in the US I would :(

-Alex

I'll pay haha! :wave::wave::wave:

One day I'll have spare cash to buy myself these nice things... :D

I'll pay haha! :wave::wave::wave:

One day I'll have spare cash to buy myself these nice things... :D

Really? :yh:

Yeah, they aren't cheap. I just bought myself 1x18650 battery and a Nietcore Li-Ion charger. So I guess this is really happening, 589nm woohoo. :D

-Alex

Really? :yh:

Yeah, they aren't cheap. I just bought myself 1x18650 battery and a Nietcore Li-Ion charger. So I guess this is really happening, 589nm woohoo. :D

-Alex

Congrats! I am going to maintain what I have said to you all along, you are going to be very pleased! :beer: