Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan 589- *problem solved*

Edit: got a substandard laser from DL, but the customer service after receiving it has been absolutely top notch. They're replacing the laser and even covering the shipping.

I can't compain. The occasional dud laser is to be expected (though admittedly many people may have been happy with it), but with customer service like this, I really can't complain. :)

Shoutout to Adam for making his company look good.

Last edited:

Re: Spartan 589! ...Disappointed. :(

Yikes, that's not good! Unfortunately there seems to be fewer and fewer trustworthy sites to buy from.....

Keep us updated! :)

-Alex

Razako

Dang. Sounds like you just got a bad one. Hopefully they make it right.

Sorry to hear that! I am so glad I received such a great example from our member Gre3n! I hope you are taken care of promptly. These 589nm are so finicky but also so beautiful! I hope all goes well! :beer:

D

Deleted member 16589

Obvious this laser is not perfect but come on 100mW 1.97 mRad I would Not call that defective
Sounds to me like the crystal set does not like that power for long. Maybe if the power was turned down a squeak it would not drop in power so rapidly.

There are several Members here that may be able to look at it and maybe tweak it.

Regarding the thermal performance, this is typical for the type of laser (SFG DPSS).

See if you can get someone experienced with the unit to repair the lens assy to remove the splash.

Regarding the thermal performance, this is typical for the type of laser (SFG DPSS).

See if you can get someone experienced with the unit to repair the lens assy to remove the splash.

This is true, and the heat issue doesn't really bother me. By it self, I wouldn't even have commented on it, it's only worth noting when considering the divergence and the splash. I've had yellows before and know how fickle they can be.

I thought of seeking assistance with having this repaired, but I'm terrified of sending it to someone who proceeds to break not irreparably which then leaves me out $445. :/ Sending it out would actually be my first choice if I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was fixable.

D

Deleted member 16589

Agreed everything you mentions is fixable I already PM'd a member that may be able to help.

dunno. DL might be able to help, they might not....I'm happy to take a look at it if you want. CNI from what I understand is ceasing handheld and portable development and production for the most part, so most of whats going out is late-game stuff. It sounds like you might've just got one that got unlucky somewhere down the line.

Pretty much anything with a beam passes these days unless its a lab laser. I havnt measured my divergence, but <1.5 is pretty wide, but not crazy, but note a lot of people measure the whole beam and not the core beam. that spec is for the core beam only, which is not easy to measure without a beam profiler. thermally i'd turn it on and meter it over the course of a minute on, minute off, a few times. these perform bad when cold. so sometimes it takes a few thermal cycles to get them going. Give the module a chance to warm up. I'm quite sure its not 'overheating' at 15s of runtime. as for the dirty lens, I have to take your word for it. are you sure its not just hitting the internal aperture or something else? the exit beam is almost the same size as the aperture, and i've seen more than one with it just barely clipping the lens aperture.

Pics would probably help

Last edited:

dunno. DL might be able to help, they might not....I'm happy to take a look at it if you want. CNI from what I understand is ceasing handheld and portable development and production for the most part, so most of whats going out is late-game stuff.

This is what sucks. Will CNI ever start producing handhelds/pointers again? I never understood why companies didn't continue producing them? I understand they represent <2% of their sales, but earning an extra $300-$800 for any company sure must be a good thing, no?

This is why I am trying to get all pointer wavelengths ASAP. Ugh!

-Alex