Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spartan 589- *problem solved*

So the long and short of it is that I got a substandard laser from DL, but the customer service after receiving it has been absolutely top notch. They're replacing the laser and even covering the shipping.

I can't compain. The occasional dud laser is to be expected (though admittedly many people may have been happy with it), but with customer service like this, I really can't complain. :)

Shoutout to Adam for making his company look good.

Admins, please close this thread. I'll continue this saga in the review thread of the new laser.

Thinking about getting one of the Spartans myself. Thing is I don't have an LPM so I could get a dud..

I would rather get a 589 and build the rest of my collection with PL-E Pro's. Now kinda neat to have $520 from my Aquarius and realizing how much more choices there are and for cheaper prices!

What do you all think??

-Alex

Last edited:

Razako

Thinking about getting one of the Spartans myself. Thing is I don't have an LPM so I could get a dud..

I would rather get a 589 and build the rest of my collection with PL-E Pro's. Now kinda neat to have $520 from my Aquarius and realizing how much more choices there are and for cheaper prices!

What do you all think??

-Alex
If you're worried, I'm sure there are reputable members here with a LPM who could check it out for you. Based on the experience of the OP in this thread, it seems like DL do take care of their customers if there's a problem. I haven't metered my spartan, but I assume it's reasonably up to spec because it will melt into black plastic and pop black balloons. You usually need at least 50+ mw to do that.

Last edited:
If you're worried, I'm sure there are reputable members here with a LPM who could check it out for you. Based on the experience of the OP in this thread, it seems like DL do take care of their customers if there's a problem. I haven't metered my spartan, but I assume it's reasonably up to spec because it will melt into black plastic and pop black balloons. You usually need at least 50+ mw to do that.

Sweet! I think I'll go ahead and buy a spartan before a 650nm PL-E unit. For the people who own a 589 Spartan. What duty cycle do you keep on them??

-Alex

Razako

Sweet! I think I'll go ahead and buy a spartan before a 650nm PL-E unit. For the people who own a 589 Spartan. What duty cycle do you keep on them??

-Alex
DL say 1 min on/1 min off. I've seen posts here saying that's totally overprotective, and others saying it's reasonable. I usually run mine for 1-3 minutes at a time. It starts out weak in the first 10-20 seconds and then fires up as the crystals get warm.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/dragonlasers-spartan-50mw-589nm-91535.html
Cyparagon wrote a great review about these here. Includes current draw, LPM chart and his take on the duty cycle.(I can't recommend leaving it on for 30 min though. These are pricey).

OVNI

Edit: got a substandard laser from DL, but the customer service after receiving it has been absolutely top notch. They're replacing the laser and even covering the shipping.

I can't compain. The occasional dud laser is to be expected (though admittedly many people may have been happy with it), but with customer service like this, I really can't complain. :)

Shoutout to Adam for making his company look good.

Great to hear that.

-Alex

Minute on minute off is what I don't go over. But I have seen my Spartan tested for 5 minutes constant on when Gr3en did his test video of it. I have also seen Cyp's review on his Spartan and he tested it hard too. So I figure minute on minute off can't hurt it. Glad you are jumping on the 589nm train, you will not be disappointed it is absolutely stunning to behold in person! My Spartan peaks at 107mW and has a 1.312 mRad divergence, you can see it's test run here:

:beer:

Also, to the OP, very glad DL is taking care of you! Nice to see some good customer service from a laser company! :beer:

Last edited:
All my Laserglow pointers are off & on their way now. Spartan is official! Sucks I have to wait 1 week to order it though. 589nm here I come :beer:

-Alex

All my Laserglow pointers are off & on their way now. Spartan is official! Sucks I have to wait 1 week to order it though. 589nm here I come :beer:

-Alex

Whoo hoo!

I've gotta send mine back tomorrow. Wonder whose will get here first? :gun: :D

Pman

After reading Cyp's review I'm going to test mine again for a longer time. Mine jumps around alot too but his seemed to act especially strange compared to what others reported.

Hm.... 24 hours and no response yet from Gray. Can anybody try emailing him? Seems like everyone is ignoring my emails....

-Alex

Yikes, that's not good. I sent Adam an email asking if he could confirm that if I ordered a 50mW 589 Spartan it would be stable(I know, 589 is incredibly unstable) and that I would meet 50mW as sold specs.

I got this for a reply:
Spartan 589nm is the worst of power stability and beam profile compare to all of our other lasers.

I am afraid that you will not satisfied with its performance.

Should I risk it?

-Alex