Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Source for 575nm and 565nm OPTlaser modules

kecked

As the stones say you can’t always get what you want but you can get what you need.
in laser it’s you can never get exactly what you want but you can get something close to what you need.
if only 575nm☹️

Sowee7

I got my hopes up when the warning label said 574nm and when the listing said yellow, but it looks like it might just be 565nm modules inside these projectors.

Sowee7

I also bought one scorpian storm RGBY that ships from USA, and I will measure the spectra when I get the chance.
I am quite interested if they even use 575nm lasers in theese, the label says that It has 574nm but so far, I've only seen 565nm in these, I really hope At least one of them has a 575nm module inside

I am quite interested if they even use 575nm lasers in theese, the label says that It has 574nm but so far, I've only seen 565nm in these, I really hope At least one of them has a 575nm module inside
Im as excited as you to measure the wavelength my friend. I got the notice that the projector arrived at my RnD lab, but I've been traveling for remote client work this week. I will hopefully finish up and get back to the lab Monday to measure wavelengths.

Wavelength measurements delayed... I enjoyed the unit as a laser show in our home, the 4 colors were great. Took it to the lab the next day, set a power supply for 3V and 50mA, then clipped it to the back of the IR pump diode, and it flashed yellow-green for a split second and the pump LD died....

Im pretty sure it's an 808nm pump and I have plenty of diodes to swap it out, but I don't have time to do it for a bit.

I'm also happy to send to someone else who has time to refit the IR pump diode.

1646435331829.png
1646435391258.png

Pity I toasted the IR pump diode in the laser labeled 574nm....
Much risk to the non-linear crystals if I put a 1watt 808nm pump diode to replace the little pump?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
I had heard at least one type of 574/575 crystal was viciously allergic to water vapor. Unfortunately opening the module to replace the diode may compromise the output, life, or both. Without spectro of the thing when it was working we really can't say for sure what pump or crystals are in there. But right now it puts out nothing so..worth a shot imho.

kecked

Do it in dry nitrogen. if you open it in a bag of gas and install the diode with the leads shorted you might get away with it. Shorted leads are important as the bag will have a lot of static. Maybe install lasorb first Then you can align it while in bag. rtv it sealed. Let use know how it goes.

you could put the whole thing in a dry box with desiccant and leave it for a week before you do this if you really want it dry.

Sowee7

Do it in dry nitrogen. if you open it in a bag of gas and install the diode with the leads shorted you might get away with it. Shorted leads are important as the bag will have a lot of static. Maybe install lasorb first Then you can align it while in bag. rtv it sealed. Let use know how it goes.

you could put the whole thing in a dry box with desiccant and leave it for a week before you do this if you really want it dry.
That would be a good idea

I grabbed a couple of these RGBY laser projectors. I'm guessing I got the 565nm diodes because it's much more of a greenish yellow. It almost appears to just be an IR diode with a crystal on it. 13mm module that was very easy to remove and connect to my power supply. The diode was getting 1.837 volts and .388 amps from it's driver.

Here are some pics:

It appears your laser has a different diode in a different housing diameter and heatsink. Once I replace the IR pump on my unit labeled 574nm, I will post spectrometer plots and perhaps we can get a visual indicator to confirm which laser wavelength a unit has by its appearance.

Sowee7

I grabbed a couple of these RGBY laser projectors. I'm guessing I got the 565nm diodes because it's much more of a greenish yellow. It almost appears to just be an IR diode with a crystal on it. 13mm module that was very easy to remove and connect to my power supply. The diode was getting 1.837 volts and .388 amps from it's driver.

Here are some pics:

Wow, that is interesting, the 2 projectors I have bought both had an OPTlaser-style 20mm 565nm module

kecked

Be careful with water vapor. Those crystals die fast. Does anyone have a sputtering machine? I was thinking we could sputter SiO2 on the crystal and see if that stabilizes them to atmosphere. Likely need to polish them and Mg coat for reflection too.

id like to see someone mount one in a cooled housing and see how far and hard we can pump them. I’d bet if they are tec cooled wrapped in indium we can get 100mw out with a 5W 808nm pump. Basically treat it like a yag.

also did anyone do a reflectance study to see if these are coated already? Thinking put it in a real cavity with multiple passes.