Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sound card DAC tutorial

I think it's from the effect of the power save mode that the processor uses and its effect on the power subsystem. My computer "whines" sometimes from it, and even desktop computer inductors can be noisy because of the processor's power save modes. It might induce noise in you soundcard which can suck, especially if you're using the one inside your laptop, not external.

I think it's from the effect of the power save mode that the processor uses and its effect on the power subsystem. My computer "whines" sometimes from it, and even desktop computer inductors can be noisy because of the processor's power save modes. It might induce noise in you soundcard which can suck, especially if you're using the one inside your laptop, not external.

I am using the C-media soundcard. not the internal soundcard because I needed more channels for my laserscanner. And yes you're right it sucks :mad:

Just a question: How do you post pichtures from your pc on this forum?

Last edited:
I am using the C-media soundcard. not the internal soundcard because I needed more channels for my laserscanner. And yes you're right it sucks :mad:

Just a question: How do you post pichtures from your pc on this forum?

Use the manage attachments button in the replies. You can then inline the images if you need to.

Use the manage attachments button in the replies. You can then inline the images if you need to.

Thanks, I didn't notice that button earlier. I have attached a picture and a video of my laserscanner.

Attachments

• CIMG15162.jpg
    CIMG15162.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Cangoose2~1.avi
    2.9 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Woah! Nice management there. Can you share the source of the case? Also yea, is it any stiff at all?

I have made the case myself. It's made out of 1.5mm thick aluminum sheets.
The case is fairly stiff. When I lift one corner 1cm off the table the closest corner next to it lifts also ~1cm. I will post some more pictures in the next days.

my advice to everyone dont use a soundcard dac its not worth it especially when they just quit working

That dolphin looks a-ok to me!

my advice to everyone dont use a soundcard dac its not worth it especially when they just quit working

I'm about to put a disclaimer on the tutorial that says "please don't whine if you lack the skill set to complete this project". The OP already clearly states that it is assumed that the person reading already has some experience with simple electronics and soldering, and it assumes that the person reading knows how to set up and configure sound cards. It also states that in my experience Windows XP 32 is the only operating system that gives 100% reliability using the c-media card. If your completed DAC "just stopped working" it's very likely because of a deficiency in one of those three things. I still have the first DAC I cobbled together a few years back, and I still use it. I've even used it for concerts where reliability is paramount. No one said it's easy, but (and I know this'll shock and amaze you) not everything in life is. DIY, by it's very nature, is rarely the easy way to accomplish something.. but it is rewarding to those who are into it because it makes us feel good to use the things we build.

I know that you know we're here to help anyone, but please refrain from discouraging everyone else simply because you're having trouble.

Last edited:
I'm about to put a disclaimer on the tutorial that says "please don't whine if you lack the skill set to complete this project". The OP already clearly states that it is assumed that the person reading already has some experience with simple electronics and soldering, and it assumes that the person reading knows how to set up and configure sound cards. It also states that in my experience Windows XP 32 is the only operating system that gives 100% reliability using the c-media card. If your completed DAC "just stopped working" it's very likely because of a deficiency in one of those three things. I still have the first DAC I cobbled together a few years back, and I still use it. I've even used it for concerts where reliability is paramount. No one said it's easy, but (and I know this'll shock and amaze you) not everything in life is. DIY, by it's very nature, is rarely the easy way to accomplish something.. but it is rewarding to those who are into it because it makes us feel good to use the things we build.

They are a HUGE pain in the ass to get working right but once you do there's really not a lot to break on the thing... I have never seen a sound card go bad and the amp is a simple low component count circuit which I doubt will ever fail... the biggest thing to break is the software and that's the hardest part to get working.

That dolphin looks a-ok to me!

I know that you know we're here to help anyone, but please refrain from discouraging everyone else simply because you're having trouble.

:p im just saying i was perfectly happy when i got mine to work. then while playing a frame it just quit. cold turkey it just quit :tired:. so look ill restate that. if you have windows 7 dont buy a sound card DAC. i especially want to tell you 150$ new is not worth it for something that quits on you.:cryyy: but remember im only saying this if you have windows 7.

EF i never said it had to be easy i spent 10+ hours getting it to work the first time. and i didnt cry about it. i just want people to know it may not be worth your time. a RIYA lite DAC only costs 155 new. and it is "plug and play"

and sorry if you think i am discouraging anyone. i just dont want them to have to go through what i did and now have to again.

Last edited:
I went through a bit of trouble when I set mine up too, but that's always just part of the learning experience. There is always the slight possibility that one of the components of the DAC has gone bad, but as guyfromhe said it's a very simple circuit all around.

DIY options are not for everyone, but we are here and we're willing to help you try to get things sorted. Post some screenshots of your settings and some pics of the output and the DAC hardware itself and I'd be happy to have a look to see if I can see any reason for this failure.

It took me a solid week of random horsing around to get mine to work... and I know my way around computers and electronics quite well... and that was with the help of Gary and Adam :p

I ended up getting QS in the end anyway :p

It took me a solid week of random horsing around to get mine to work... and I know my way around computers and electronics quite well... and that was with the help of Gary and Adam :p

I ended up getting QS in the end anyway :p

exactly and i wasnt complaining about it but now it just stopped :yabbem:

Can you explain more about the failure? What were you doing at the time, as in what frame(s) were you working with? Is your DAC in any sort of enclosure? Is the c-media sound card still selected as the default system sound card? Have you checked EZAudDAC.ini to make sure those settings are correct? Also, what software were you using at the time? In all the years that I've worked with computers and electronics professionally I have yet to see something "just stop" without there being some good reason for it.

@Guyfromhe: I swear by QS, can't go wrong there.

Last edited: