Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

sort of embarrassing question.

They basically don't want bad things to rub off on you... or have bad
things traumatize you. That's their job as parents...

My parents were the same way... and it helped me more that it hurt me...
even though at the time I didn't agree with 90% of it..

Jerry

hmm....does he still refuse to let you drive?
are you still confined to the transportation of a bicycle? does it still have training wheels?

parents guard and protect their kids too much these days.....thats why they have the mind frame of a child by the time they are an adult and then they get thrown out into the world to lvie on their own, can't handle it an slit their wrists

hehehe....

just go buy one....it's like 7.99 at radio shack......who cares what your father says, he is being unreasonable.

no, i drive, he doesnt shelter me it is just he doesnt want me getting a solder gun because he heard what people do with them (which i would never)
im not sheltered trust me

Indeed, what else other then soldering could you do with one? Well, Other then grabbing the wrong end(once.)

Indeed, what else other then soldering could you do with one? Well, Other then grabbing the wrong end(once.)

well he heard from a guy on the radio of what he did with it when he was a child, messing with household items, burns, messing with pets (abuse!)

well i would never do any of that, i think he actually might get me it sometime soon...

I think your dad is imagining the worst possible things that could happen, which is not unusual for a parent. A burn from a soldering iron/gun isn't that bad, I have done it several times (dont ask why, mostly stupidity or taking shortcuts). They hurt yes, but by and large your reflexes help keep you from getting more than a second degree burn. Soldering is a valuable skill almost everyone should learn

Your dad doesn't want you to own a soldering iron, yet he is happy to see you make one yourself that runs on mains electricity?

Does he let you use the oven?

I'm sure you could cause just as much damage to yourself/the house with the oven.

ANYWAY... just go to radio shack and pick one up for like $13. They work jsut fine!

a cold solder gun or tool uses a small arc to melt the solder , would that be safe to use on a diode?

It's a bit off topic, I know, but I'd like to point out that those "cold heat" soldering irons are *not* safe to use on laser diodes. They should only ever be used on wires or other pieces of metal, never on sensitive semiconductors.

lmn

okay, i am 16 and my dad doesnt want me to get a soldering gone, so is there any way to make a home made one.... like heating something up somehow.... lol retarded question

Do you drive a car? Because that's way more dangerous than a soldering iron. :yh:

EDIT: If he doesn't want you to have a soldering iron then why would he be OK with a laser? IMO it's easier to do permanent and/or accidental damage with a laser than a soldering iron.

Last edited: