Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Something interesting about Newgazer 7A75

I won a couple of NDB7A75 diodes from Newgazer on ebay that were listed as " NEW " although they do have tin pins, but that's understandable as they would be pulls AFAIK.

The divergence is good like an 05 diode but the interesting part is the color is not 445nm, I am not using a spectrometer but I have seen many 445nm beams and when placing this next to a 7875 the color difference is apparent.

This 7A75 diode is 9mm of course and has the can/window, what I want to know is did any of the 7A75 diodes put out 450-455nm ?

If not could this possibly be a 05 diode with GBall removed and a can/window put in it's place ?

I have another one on the way and I will look at the can where it's attached to the backing plate with my microscope, unless there were any 7A75 diodes that put out 450-455nm, but I thought they were all 445nm.

Does anyone know if the original 7A75/7K75 diodes were 445nm, I never bought them when they were plentiful, I jumped right to the NUBM44 from the NDB7875.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nichia-3-5...004676?hash=item1a40e69bc4:g:GzMAAOSwIjJZWf2~

Last edited:

jnrpop

I good test, besides using a Spectrometer, would be counting the bond wires on the die with your microscope. I remember DTR saying the 1W NUG01 has one less bond wire than the 1W NDG7475. But in a recent post DTR said he believes his N465 diode is a re-canned 07E diode., could be some re-canning going on, most likely at the manufacturing lab though :beer:

Yea, this is a blue NDB7A75 and the can is the standard window can like you would expect, not that wider window can seen on the N465, but it could well be a replacement because the wavelength is very much brighter than 445nm, it's just like the NUBM05 color that's more 450-455nm.

Hi Alaskan,
I’m most of the links I seen it states on some of these diode no gas out
Rich:)

They would have either a backfill or a vacuum and if it was a vacuum the can would tend to implode, well large vessels implode under 14 pounds per square inch when evacuated, but smaller ones have a better chance, actually because of the window a vacuum would not work, the window would implode, it must be a backfill inert gas.

i have read many times in the past theories that the nubm05 is the same diode as ndb7a75 so i guess the 450nm+ wavelenght is right for this diode.nothing has proven yet of course.

i wonder if a decaned ndb7a75 will degrade like all nubm0x do

Last edited:
I'm saying if the 7A75's were 445nm then this one I recently received is questionable as it's not 445nm, it is at least 450nm if not 455nm, but I never bought 7A75's when they were plentiful so I don't know if they were 445nm or not, that's what I am asking because I had the idea that they were 445nm diodes.

This pic has the color looking the same, but cameras don't always catch the difference, but all the things I have been reading say 445nm for the 7A75, so why is the one I just got with a normal window can so bright blue ? Have they possibly been brought back but at 455nm.....I rather doubt it but anything is possible, we can hope, it has the normal window can.

2b0j.jpg

Last edited:
I'm saying if the 7A75's were 445nm then this one I recently received is questionable as it's not 445nm, it is at least 450nm if not 455nm, but I never bought 7A75's when they were plentiful so I don't know if they were 445nm or not, that's what I am asking because I had the idea that they were 445nm diodes.

This pic has the color looking the same, but cameras don't always catch the difference, but all the things I have been reading say 445nm for the 7A75, so why is the one I just got with a normal window can so bright blue ? Have they possibly been brought back but at 455nm.....I rather doubt it but anything is possible, we can hope, it has the normal window can.

2b0j.jpg

i was looking for a power test on the nubm05 and found an old post of you back in 2016 that you been told by dtr that the nubm05 is basically a ndb7a75 with a Gball.
check number 3 post :beer:
https://laserpointerforums.com/f65/nubm05-specs-98417.html

Last edited:
Yes I see the wavelength is 450nm, that's great as these have a proper window can.

Also I have learned that the GBall diodes have different lens grinds, that is GBall lenses do not have the same focal length, although to the naked eye the lens looks the same, but the spot size can vary greatly at a set distance from block to block of the same part number diode.

The de-canned NUBM05 is very close to the 7A75 although the 7A75 may have slightly better divergence, maybe it just seems that way, but it sure looks a little better.

----EDIT----

Yes a de-canned 05 and 7A75 are basically the same, except having the window can is very good, maybe the 05 can be pushed half an amp harder and the 7A75 may print a tiny bight tighter, but they are basically the same emitter it appears.

Last edited:
If you don't mind, what did you end up paying for these at auction? I have noticed several new auctions, but if they are being won close to the asking price, it isn't worth my time.

I paid 42 dollars for one and 39 dollars for another, both were listed as NEW but with tin pins which is reasonable.

A little backstory:

This is my 1st ever NDB7A75 and I just got my 1st ever NDG7475 not that long ago, the reason is I was not a member here but was a hobbyist when the 7A75 came out with 1000.00 asking price, then the NDG7475 came along with an asking price of 1000.00.

Soon the 7A75 dropped pretty quick to 500.00, then they both trickled down ever so slowly and even though I had the money to buy 1000.00 toys I decided I would wait as long as it took to get them for 100.00 or less or simply not at all.

I recently got my brand new virgin pins NDG7475 for right at 100 and now these two 7A75's for basically 40 each.....I WIN !

Last edited:
I would say so. Congratulations. I'll be watching these with more interest now. :thanks:

DTR

Yea might be in the same family but the next generation and there are some noticeable differences. The NUMB05 is a little higher in wavelength when you put them side by side and the NDB7A75 is higher than the M140 or NDB7875 or NUBM44 V2 side by side. The NUBM44 V2 is testing lower with most around 444nm-445nm.

The NUBM05 also has different markings on them. There is a large laser etched 455 stamp on the base of the diode which the NDB7A75's did not have. I am not sure of the bond wire situation but I will dig up a picture I have somewhere which shows the back of the NUBM05 with 445, the NUBM06 with 445 and the NUBM07 with 465 laser etched on the base of the diode just below the where the pins are. It is hard to see with the tinning so might not be something that is commonly referred to.

The divergence is really similar. The NUBM05 my guess is the new generation or replacement for the NDB7A75 class diode. They are found in current series projectors and the NDB7A75 is in much older discontinued units. I have a picture somewhere as well of the block they are out of. It is a mitsu core like the acer, viewsonic, optima units use if you remember the standard light core they all used it was made by mitsu and the block the NDB7A75's tin pin come from looks identical just with offset holes for the pins but anyway these are projectors from 5 or more years ago. The NUBM05 I first spotted with that NEC breakdown I posted in the vets section. But if you look for the explosion of the 5000 lumen projectors and their first ship dates that could give a bit of a timeline.

The NDB7A75 was an awesome diode. The new ones got really expensive though so I only get them for a specific customer that orders them in large batches for engraving machines and only wants them not liking the larger divergence NUBM44's.

So is there a new 7A75 with a window can ?

If so how does it compare and how expensive is it ?

DTR

So is there a new 7A75 with a window can ?

If so how does it compare and how expensive is it ?

Not that I know of. I am thinking it might be unlikely we will see another N!ch!a diode that has a regular can on it again.

My speculation is that the XJ-V's light core was designed and set up large agreements for supply chains for all the components including the collimation solution before N!ch!a's big idea to integrate the collimation system into the diode and it would require a costly redesign and/or getting stuck with millions of unneeded lenses, mounting parts and anything else they would have to change out pay penalty for canceling the commitments so they worked out a deal so they would not have to have the ball lens on this series of projectors.

I am betting they will not have another as the ball lens is a winner for them on all fronts. It is one more thing to make it more difficult to use with non approved end products, they can sell it as a benefit for the projector companies not to have to design the collimation optics saving them a step and making more money by combining them as well since they are now guaranteed they will be selling the collimation system of the end product. IIt looks like a win/win/win in their books to me.

Last edited: