Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Some peoples kids :twak:

February 12, 2014
FBI Aims Crackdown at Airplane Laser Pranks - Yahoo

Been hearing A WHOLE LOT more on this bs by "younger" individuals. Fuggin idiots for shining at planes. They keep it up, and lasers of all MW are going to end up being banned one day :yabbmad:

Not all of these incidents are caused by kids, as some may be lead to believe. There have actually been several cases where men as old as 30 years old have been caught lasing airplanes with green lasers.

That being said, I agree that their acts are down-right stupid, as shinning a laser at a passenger aircraft poses a threat not only to the pilots, but to everyone on board :(

Last edited:
They keep it up, and lasers of all MW are going to end up being banned one day :yabbmad:

That's right. No optical drives, interferometry, holography, lidar, flow cytometry, CO2 CNC cutters... on second thought, maybe that's a bit extreme and you're being melodramatic.

That's right. No optical drives, interferometry, holography, lidar, flow cytometry, CO2 CNC cutters... on second thought, maybe that's a bit extreme and you're being melodramatic.

:crackup: :crackup: dude the FBI just took my laser targeted infrared thermometer. bar code scanners are about to be taken too. don't forget the laser level i hang pictures with

ARG

May as well stop nuclear fusion research while we're at it.

I wonder what they were thinking when they lazed the plane. "hmm this is a very thought out prank, wouldnt put anyone's life in danger at all"

I have been hearing about this on the radio several times today. I think the $10,000.00 reward for a tip leading to someones arrest is a bad idea, but everyone should be made aware that pointing a laser at an aircraft carries a penalty of 5 years in a federal prison.

Does this also apply to drones? What about spacecraft? and satellites? and what if the spacecraft wasn't from earth? Would it still be illegal? :crackup:

Alan

I saw a helicopter flying at low altitude over my town yesterday. I was driving on the highway so I couldn't pay too much attention to it, but it looked like a military chopper. Not surprising, Chinooks sometimes land on the university campus to pick up ROTC kids for this and that. This chopper was something smaller.

It's sad, but the first thought in my mind was "Gee, I hope nobody points a laser at that."

Last edited:
I wonder what they were thinking when they lazed the plane. "hmm this is a very thought out prank, wouldnt put anyone's life in danger at all"

lol TBH humans just like to track things... unfortunately that means a plane and laser beam are appealing... when i let my sister star point for like 2 seconds she immediately went to point out a plane... of course i instantly snatched the laser from her and hurt her feelings with a "what are you stupid" speech. I think the most dangerous thing about this is that the majority are NOT trying to be malicious... they think they are just pointing out a plane and there in no effect on the other end...