Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SOLD: 2 @ Arctic Spyder III's -- $200 Each

daguin

SOLD I have for sale 2 WL Spyder III Arctic 445nm lasers for $200 each, plus shipping.

IMG_1070.jpg

SOLD
#1 - 795mW
SOLD #2 - 750mW

I purchased these from another member here who was less than satisfied with his Wicked Lasers experience. If I had received what he did with my first Arctic, I would have been just as disappointed. There were several things wrong with them (no surprises, eh?)

One was producing an ~6 inch "line" at 30 feet. The other was showing some sort of double spot with "wings." In addition one of the "high powered" lenses was threaded on stock that was too small in diameter. That lens simply slipped in and out of the front of the laser!

My original intention was to simply tear them apart and build them back custom and reliably high powered. After I evaluated them, I realized that I could "tune them up" so that a couple of people could have a great laser at a lower price. I decided to go this route instead. I figure eventually, I will be able to purchase a host from someone who's Arctic has died.

So I went to work. First I had to clean back all of that thermal grease that WL seems to think is doing the laser some good up front there. It is now back far enough that it no longer contaminates the threads of the aperture caps or the focusing lenses.

I pulled both focusing lenses to clean them and to get them re-focused correctly. They were both "dirty." However, the one that was producing the "double with wings" was doing so because the lens was broken! I replaced that lens with an AixiZ glass lens.

Once I got the focusing lenses out, I was able to examine the fronts of the diodes. BOTH of them had crud on their windows. I don't know if it was thermal grease or just greasy fingerprints. They both cleaned up fine with acetone and a microfiber cloth.

I reinstalled the focusing lenses using a bit of teflon tape. With everything repaired, clean, and adjustable now, I got them both focused nicely. Here they are at ~30 feet.

IMG_1074.jpg

I still had the problem of the one lens that was threaded at too small a diameter to work, but further examination and thought made the decision easy for me. You don't really want that "high powered" lens in there any way! As has been noted by other reviewers, the glass is NOT AR coated. It is reflecting >100mW right back into the lens and toward the diode.

I took the "training" lenses and removed the ND filter glass (also not AR coated) and re-installed them without any glass. The fronts now look like this

IMG_1071.jpg

In addition to allowing the full power of the diode to come out, this also leaves the focusing lenses accessible. I have a tool that I will recommend that whoever gets these buy as well. The tool is from Microtek.
Microtek Illumination - Aixiz Module Lens Adjusting Tool
The tool fits right through the aperture cap and allows you to focus your Arctic. You can focus it up close for burning or to infinity for star pointing or beam work. The laser beam shines through the middle of the tool so you can focus it while the laser is on :) It is not as convenient as a focus ring, but it preserves the look of the front of the Arctic completely

I think that this is going to be a recommended mod for all the Arctics. Toss the "high powered" lens. Remove the ND filter from the "training" lens. And get one of these focusing tools from Microtek. (I am not affiliated with nor do I gain any income from Microtek)

Here are the LPM shots for your viewing pleasure.

The lasers come with the battery and charger. They do not come with goggles.

Once again, these are offered here at $200, plus shipping (your choice) each

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

Peace,
dave

Last edited:

Re: FS: 2 @ Arctic Spyder III's -- $200 Each

Quite the service you're providing here Dave! Bump for being a great contribution - it sure seems like you have at least made these lasers into fairly nice choices for quite a nice price. Hope someone scoops these up soon! I still find the host pretty attractive myself.

Last edited:

Damn Dave You did all that work, and You're selling Them for 200ea:huh:

daguin

Damn Dave You did all that work, and You're selling Them for 200ea:huh:

It's a hobby :)

I'm just going for getting my money back out of them. The forum is good to me. I try to be good to the forum when I can ;)

Peace,
dave

It's a hobby :)

I'm just going for getting my money back out of them. The forum is good to me. I try to be good to the forum when I can ;)

Peace,
dave

That's Cool. Computers used to be My hobby, but they eventually became work and not a hobby. Ruined it for Me and I don't consider it fun anymore. Hope Lasers stay a hobby for You, and never become tedious. You've been working with them for years, so mayhap they will always be a hobby:)

Thanks for all the input and info. Your thread is a good diy article for S3 Arctic owners. BTW, I am leaving my S3 Arctic stock. The reason I opted for an S3 Arctic, instead of a custom-built one is because I really like it's professional feel and look. I wouldn't tinker with mine, because I don't want to cut down it's durability lifespan. Just a question, did you swap any parts, including the laser host of the 2 S3 Arctics you purchased from
blu3t00th with your own S3 Arctic you originally received from WL? It's okay if you did, because you know your lasers and it's just a hobby right?

daguin

Thanks for all the input and info. Your thread is a good diy article for S3 Arctic owners. BTW, I am leaving my S3 Arctic stock. The reason I opted for an S3 Arctic, instead of a custom-built one is because I really like it's professional feel and look. I wouldn't tinker with mine, because I don't want to cut down it's durability lifespan. Just a question, did you swap any parts, including the laser host of the 2 S3 Arctics you purchased from
blu3t00th with your own S3 Arctic you originally received from WL? It's okay if you did, because you know your lasers and it's just a hobby right?

Thank you for your permission to be who I am ;)

I would say that you are not paying attention

If I had left these "stock" they would have had horribly unacceptable beam spec's. If yours is good, then sweet. However, the reports coming back from owners is that MANY of them are far from "professional." These two most certainly were not "professionally" assembled.

I didn't "tinker" with any of the electronics. Everything I did was relevant to optics. Dirty windows and dirty and broken lenses will NOT increase durability or lifespan. They will do quite the opposite. Dirty optics heat up MUCH more rapidly than clean optics AND they limit output. Also, the use of NON-AR coated glass, puts the diode at risk from reflected light.

You also are not reading the entire forum. I sold my first Arctic to Kenom, for cost, as well. I bought the first one just to do the review of it. I had no "parts" from another Arctic to use. I have four hand-held 445nm lasers putting out from 50mW to 1W. I am working on adding 445nm to my scanner. I have no use for a non-focusable laser in this wavelength. The only part that was "swapped" was an Aixiz glass lens for the broken WL lens.

I have intimately examined the electronics, construction, and optics of both multiple Arctics AND quite a few custom built 445nm lasers. IMNHO, the custom lasers being built with the host kits available from vendors here are far superior to the Arctic. Also, if you build it yourself, you will probably not lie to yourself about either the lasers output or the delivery dates ;)

The only thing that the arctic has going for it, is the "look" of the host. I too, like the look of the host. Eventually, I will build a better laser in one of these hosts that failed for someone else ;)

Peace,
dave

Merged double post

Hey I have an arctic that just went dead. it was ok before hand but Im pretty angry it died on me. The lens assembly came looking like it was already jacked with. Like someone to a screwdriver to it. It lasted 5 days. I want to find someone to build a custom into the host for me but I am willing to sell.

I want another 1 w blue laser but I am planning on a do it yourself kit. Maybe one from jayrob. Problem is I dont have a vice or press to insert the diode.

Last edited by a moderator:

daguin

You should just re-name Laser Pointer Forums into Daguin's Lasers For Sale. There seems to be a laser monopoly in this forum and it tends to favor some laser manufacturers over others. Anyone can make a "more powerful" laser, but some people just want a "durable" laser with a second to none host. I'll take an 800 mW 445 nm laser with a military grade host any day, over a 1.5 W 445 laser with a featherweight host that might burnout at any moment.

I only joined the forum to get a WL S3 Arctic. After receiving the S3 Arctic, I WAS NOT AT ALL DISAPPOINTED. You can spin what I say anyway you want to. From my one humble experience, the S3 Arctic did not disappoint. The S3 Arctic was not made for you "amateur" laser-makers to "tink" with. Go ahead, spend lots of $$$ to try and modify the S3 Arctic. You'll only wast your $$$ and blame WL for not being a quality product. How can you guys call this a forum when there are no third-party, non-biased reviews of all similar lasers, especially the 1000 mW 445 nm lasers? Thank you all for helping me get my S3 Arctic, I will no longer be signing into this forum.

You should just re-name Laser Pointer Forums into Daguin's Lasers For Sale. There seems to be a laser monopoly in this forum and it tends to favor some laser manufacturers over others. Anyone can make a "more powerful" laser, but some people just want a "durable" laser with a second to none host. I'll take an 800 mW 445 nm laser with a military grade host any day, over a 1.5 W 445 laser with a featherweight host that might burnout at any moment.

I only joined the forum to get a WL S3 Arctic. After receiving the S3 Arctic, I WAS NOT AT ALL DISAPPOINTED. You can spin what I say anyway you want to. From my one humble experience, the S3 Arctic did not disappoint. The S3 Arctic was not made for you "amateur" laser-makers to "tink" with. Go ahead, spend lots of $$$ to try and modify the S3 Arctic. You'll only wast your $$$ and blame WL for not being a quality product. How can you guys call this a forum when there are no third-party, non-biased reviews of all similar lasers, especially the 1000 mW 445 nm lasers? Thank you all for helping me get my S3 Arctic, I will no longer be signing into this forum.
Good riddance.

So tired of these noobs who think they've got everything figured out when they are in fact FAR from it :rolleyes:

I am tired of all you guys who have nothing better to do but try to make a cheap dollar. This country is beggining to look cheapish with people like human symphony, penguin, weasel, and obubba.

How is repairing a broken laser and selling it for what it sold for originally trying to 'make a buck'?